(WIP) Community Overhaul Attempt #2

theextractor

Is 512x512 the max?

And how do I do this with images bigger than 512x512?

I still have to scale the image if it was 32x64 and not 64x32 right?

1) I tried going higher and the game would crash when loading.

2) How do you do what? If the resolution is too large then you'll need to scale it down.

3) In that specific case you could get away with rotating the image 90 degrees, but for the most part it doesn't matter what the scale is if you're not worried about distortion. Allow me to elaborate so you don't ask even more unnecessary questions: I have a square. Normally I apply a 64x64 texture to it. Let's say I now want to apply a 128x64 texture onto it. The texture, when viewed on the square, will be distorted to fit the square. It will be scaled 50% in the X-coordinate to fit the original ratio. What you need to worry about is the ratio between the X and Y-coordinates. If it's a square, make your texture a square. If it's something else, get your texture to fit.

If it's a solid color like in Radar Raiders, then use a 16x16 square with the color and no more.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lair

• Sonic322

• Addictgamer

• theextractor

If it's a solid color like in Radar Raiders, then use a 16x16 square with the color and no more.

Do you mean do this with all the square images in the game or do this with all the images in the game even if they are not square.?

If you are filling something in with a solid color, regardless of the shape, ratio, or any other detail, use a 16x16 solid color texture. The reasoning is because it cuts down on memory usage and the quality of a single color doesn't degrade when stretched.

If you are filling something in with a solid color, regardless of the shape, ratio, or any other detail, use a 16x16 solid color texture. The reasoning is because it cuts down on memory usage and the quality of a single color doesn't degrade when stretched.

And what if the image is less than 16x16, like what if it's 1x1?

And do I have to make it 16x16 or can I make it something like 2x2 or 1x1?

Looking at the smallest files in LRR, it seems that 8x8 is the smallest. I'm not sure if the game would accept smaller files, but if it does then there wouldn't be a problem with making them as small as possible. For now, I'd go with 8x8. That's small enough.

The smallest image is 1x1

The thing is I can't do this to the reinforced walls so those would be the only things that are not 1x1 in the game.

Lawn Mowers cut plants.

Dwarfs are short.

Rock raiders mine.

In lawn raiders, plants replace walls.

Rock Raiders 'cut' plants.

So Rock Raiders are now tiny lawn mowers.

Hence the name 'Dwarven Lawn Mowers'

Ah, of course. haha

Epic fail.

oh wow, i totally blanked on that one. haha

Images up to 512x512 pixels will work and look great.

apparently i missed that. good to know. i'm not sure why i never tried that before. has anyone made high res textures of the originals?

Amauros has, I believe. He gave the "real is brown" treatment to the Rock biome. It looks alright, but I'm biased against the golden brown look.

Are you serious?

WHERE ARE THE IDEAS? Ugh.

So, people like the lawn raiders and the improved rock raiders ideas. Let' begin designing.

Lawn Raiders

Rock monsters are replaced by ants.

Lava monsters are replaced by fire ants.

Ice monsters are removed.

New monster: Bee (pretty much a flying rock monster that doesn't stomp your paths out of existence and stings your raiders instead of picking them up)

Slimy slug textured to look like real slugs. Also, bigger.

Instead of ore, there are twigs.

Instead of crystals, there is fire wood. (Since the raiders are tiny, the firewood is small chips of it.)

Instead of crystal seams, there's clocks of firewood.

Instead of ore seams, there are tree saplings.

Water is water.

Lava is toxic waste.

Just throwing out some ideas.

WAIT

What if seed was the Ore?

Then Crystals would be...

Hm...

Something that could be turned into power... WAIT I GOT IT FLOWER POWER

Nah...

I suggested that the crystal could be replaced with nectar, like the glowing drops of nectar in Pikmin. Nectar contains energy and it's shiny.

I suggested that the crystal could be replaced with nectar, like the glowing drops of nectar in Pikmin. Nectar contains energy and it's shiny.

This would make sense as to insects attacking you.

Oh, Rinocerous Beetle would make a good boss. He just smashes stuff...

Why a boss?

Why not just make him a very powerful monster that swarms the player's base and makes the level almost impossible to beat?

And all other "bosses".

This would make sense as to insects attacking you.

Oh, Rhinoceros Beetle would make a good boss. He just smashes stuff...

Why a boss?

Why not just make him a very powerful monster that swarms the player's base and makes the level almost impossible to beat?

And all other "bosses".

If we could hurry up with making the Rockwhales then we could turn them into Rhinoceros Beetles.

And why in the world would we need a boss in the game anyways?

Rock Raiders didn't have a boss and we are on a site dedicated to it right now.

If we could hurry up with making the Rockwhales then we could turn them into Rhinoceros Beetles.

We? I don't see you doing anything. I had to learn how to get better with Layout before I could tackle the Rockwhale. Now that PWNZOR has a tutorial for texturing models, I have all of the tools necessary to make the visual part of the whale.

Anyways, I don't see a problem with making a boss fight. Just make a really tough monster class and stick it somewhere in the level, maybe use tuto blocks to make the fight more interesting than just preventing it from walking to your base.

1. Why make a rockwhale and turn it into a different monster when you can make that different monster form the start?

2. What Cirevam said.

3. Who cares if RR did or didn't? Our overhaul isn't RR, it's better than RR.

4. You don't know what tuto blocks are? GET OUT you need to learn to use the RRU wiki.

And all other "bosses".

What wrong with having a few bosses?

And sonic... you have failed again. As Mouse says, look it up (unless you know it's something that you'll get no results for, and this you will)

• Cyrem changed the title to (WIP) Community Overhaul Attempt #2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.