Wow People! I Am Both Stunned And Impressed!

rrcoder

In the Dutch version of the game, "Driller Night" was translated to "Een Boorfestijn", which means "A drilling party".

Do you know who translated it?

Never heard of Maikel Jakson? My dear addict, you must be a very happy man.

Heard of him, but that doesn't mean I ever listened to any of his music.

Also, I laughed so hard at that Dutch translation.

In the Dutch version of the game, "Driller Night" was translated to "Een Boorfestijn", which means "A drilling party".

Do you know who translated it?

All translations were done by other translations companies, and because we knew the puns wouldn't translate, they were given creative freedom when it came to the level names. To this day I have no idea how the various level names were translated (i.e. whether they became puns in other languages, or whether they were given more 'sensible' names).

On you website i can see that you (DDI) made 12 lego titles?

Legoâ„¢ (12 titles)

What are all the titles?

I'm not too sure myself, since we've worked on numerous LEGO products over the years, and I haven't been involved in all of them. These mainly refer to titles for which we provided artwork and videos (which we did for many LEGO games), such as: LEGO Island, LEGO Chess, LEGO Creator, LEGO Loco, LEGO Racers, LEGO Alpha team, LEGO Harry Potter 1 & 2, and of course Rock Raiders. At one stage we were the 'go to guys' for LEGO when it came to computer animation.

Wow!

I always thought that the movies in the old lego games were similar, but the thought never occurred to me it could have been made by the same people..

that's kinda cool :)

Did you also do level design? Or 3D modelling?

Wow!

I always thought that the movies in the old lego games were similar, but the thought never occurred to me it could have been made by the same people..

Yeas he was one of the level Designers !

Wow!

I was involved mostly with the programming, and of course the level design (which, overall, took just a fraction of my time on LRR compared to the coding). However, after Rock Raiders was complete I also worked as the animator on the LEGO Harry Potter animation (this one), and also the LEGO Jack Stone VHS (hence my earlier request).

I'm not too sure myself, since we've worked on numerous LEGO products over the years, and I haven't been involved in all of them. These mainly refer to titles for which we provided artwork and videos (which we did for many LEGO games), such as: LEGO Island, LEGO Chess, LEGO Creator, LEGO Loco, LEGO Racers, LEGO Alpha team, LEGO Harry Potter 1 & 2, and of course Rock Raiders. At one stage we were the 'go to guys' for LEGO when it came to computer animation.

Whoa, hold up... YOU WERE WITH THE GUYS WHO MADE LEGO ISLAND?? Now I'M stunned... What could you tell us about LEGO Island? What kind of things did you work on?

Whoa, hold up... YOU WERE WITH THE GUYS WHO MADE LEGO ISLAND?? Now I'M stunned... What could you tell us about LEGO Island? What kind of things did you work on?

I think you may have skimmed my post in your excitement :lol:

We only did the videos for LEGO Island :satisfied:

Methinks you're mistaken there rrcoder, from what Wes Jenkins told me Flying Rino/Delaplane Creative did the animation for the original 1997 LEGO Island game. You guys probably did the videos for LEGO Island 2 and/or Island Xtreme Stunts.

You may well be right about LEGO Island 2... I wasn't involved with the art side of things around that time. That said, I know that for a few of the games we worked on a handful of videos for certain games, while other companies worked on others (simply because there were so many videos required, and so little time in which to complete them), so it is possible that we created a some of the videos, but not all.

I think I'd like to find out for sure now.

Edit: I just checked the release date for LEGO Island. I hadn't realised it was as early as '97. It would certainly have been the sequel that we would have created videos for.

Posted on the last page, but here they are again. Here's one of the three animations Delaplane Creative made for the original LEGO Island (Mindscape made the game itself):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyoP7uHLx0

Here are the videos from the other two games in the series, LEGO Island 2 was released in 2001 and Island Xtreme Stunts was released in 2002, developed by Silicon Dreams (And I'm guessing DDI did the animations).

Very different styles. Work on the original LEGO Island game began in 1996 and it was released in 1997. Silicon Dreams made LEGO Island 2 and Island Xtreme Stunts. I'm not sure when work on LEGO Island 2 was started (probably sometime in 2000 going by the LEGO themes included), but as said earlier it was released in late 2001 (though it seems production was rushed as a ton of content was cut out from the PC and PS1 versions, the GBA and GBC versions are more complete). From what I gathered work on Island Xtreme Stunts started just as LEGO Island 2 was released. IXS has many things in common with LI2 (some of the minifig animations, player abilities, general style), but is much more clean and refined, using more elements from the original 1997 game as well as some of the features cut from LI2.

... I got totally off topic again...

Neither of those later animations look familiar, however I wasn't aware of much that our art team worked on during crunch periods of other projects, so we may or may not have worked on one of those. The character on the skateboard is certainly very familiar, and I'm pretty sure an animation containing him featured in our showreel at some stage... but same disclaimer applies: fuzzy memory, unreliable post.

... I got totally off topic again...

I think this thread lost any semblance of a fixed topic long ago xD

This thread originally was an introduction to the forum. Now it's a Q&A; it's really really hard to get off topic now. :P

I certainly don't think its a bad thing :satisfied:

Anyways, it's great to have someone who worked on ANY LEGO game (from 1997-2004, at least) on the forum!

I don't think I ever said this to you, but: Welcome to the forum.

I haven't been on a while but I'll say it to. WELCOME!!!!!!!! Glad some guy that made this game joined! =D Warning.... I'm one of the couple of spammers you'll see! Actually, I got out of that habit.

• 2 months later...
Lop Huckawuckie

Wow! I just wanted to give a shoutout, Lego Rock Raiders is one of my all time favorite PC games. You guys did awesome Karl! I always was a fan of "Lava Laughter!"

• 2 weeks later...

rrcoder, Do you know of any possible BETA or promo discs that got made and may surface some day?

• 3 weeks later...

rrcoder, Do you know of any possible BETA or promo discs that got made and may surface some day?

I believe if he did, that would be... ORESOME!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.