LEGO.jam File Extractor

JrMasterModelBuilder

JrMasterModelBuilder

Based on this information from the hex of the game executable:

Unsupported color depth encountered.Palettes larger than 256 colors not supported...Invalid BMP file....Invalid image size for given storage

File: .Unsupported color depth.....RGB to CI conversion not supported..Intensity formats not supported

I think the bitmaps are most-likely 8 bit bitmaps with a 256 color palette (based on this info).

Based on this information from the hex of the game executable:

Unsupported color depth encountered.Palettes larger than 256 colors not supported...Invalid BMP file....Invalid image size for given storage

File: .Unsupported color depth.....RGB to CI conversion not supported..Intensity formats not supported

I think the bitmaps are most-likely 8 bit bitmaps with a 256 color palette (based on this info).

Interesting. Hmm, too bad there aren't any bmp rebuilders or something like that, except for your RR tool. :)

Turns out that, if you swap the files for track collision and starting points around...

:D

Awesome! My game would crash when I attempted to do that. :)

Sorry for the double post, but this to get the topic back on track.

I did some investigating on the unreadable .bmp files. And this is what I found =>

In every track's folder (in GAMEDATA), there is one file RACEC2R0.RAB (for this example) which describes every file that has to be adressed before the level would load. Now, there is one interesting file wrote down here, which is legoimgs.idf. For some odd reason, this file is not present in the tracks's folder, aswell as in all other folders. My guess is that that specific file decodes the images for the game to load. So, if this file could be found, it'll help us opening the files. But I'm not sure where it is.

JrMasterModelBuilder

@jamesster: what files did you change to do that?

I did some investigating on the unreadable .bmp files. And this is what I found =>

In every track's folder (in GAMEDATA), there is one file RACEC2R0.RAB (for this example) which describes every file that has to be adressed before the level would load. Now, there is one interesting file wrote down here, which is legoimgs.idf. For some odd reason, this file is not present in the tracks's folder, aswell as in all other folders. My guess is that that specific file decodes the images for the game to load. So, if this file could be found, it'll help us opening the files. But I'm not sure where it is.

Hmm. That's interesting. The closest match to legoimgs.idf I get is legoimgs.idb in the GAMEDATA/COMMON/ folder which looks like a list of powerup images. I'm not sure how that could be it though. I've checked the hex of the JAM and EXE and the only instances of legoimgs.idf are in the RAB files. :?:

@jamesster: what files did you change to do that?

Hmm. That's interesting. The closest match to legoimgs.idf I get is legoimgs.idb in the GAMEDATA/COMMON/ folder which looks like a list of powerup images. I'm not sure how that could be it though. I've checked the hex of the JAM and EXE and the only instances of legoimgs.idf are in the RAB files. :?:

Exactly, I only found that one too, not sure why it isn't there.

Other thing; I tried recreating an 8bit 256 colours image, replacing the "LEGO Media" intro image before entering the main menu. Well, it didn't work, but it works if you replace images already contained in the game.

EDIT: It seems you can replace any .bmp file from the game with the SPLASH1.bmp file located at /MENUDATA/LEGAL. Doing this replaces the Lego Media logo just before entering the main menu and allows you to display any image. It's a painful proces, but atleast we can actually see them.

• 4 months later...
CaptainGolem

I edited the horn files so now i can horn like NPCs and they can horn like me :af: also i replaced RR's face in GAMEDATA->COMMON . In menu it is still the same but in game the face is different,but the sounds are the same. :af:

It is fun!

• 4 weeks later...
JrMasterModelBuilder

Is there a tutorial on how to use this?

Download and install.

For Extraction:

Open the program, click "Extract" and select your LEGO.JAM file, then select the folder it should extract to. Then you can get at the files inside.

For Rearchiving (Check the link in the first post as this may not be necessary for modding your game):

Open the program, click "Build" and select the folder containing the "GAMEDATA" and "MENUDATA" folders. Then save the new LEGO.JAM file.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Most likely, one of the following 2 locations.

32-bit Windows:

C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\LEGO Racers\LEGO.JAM

64-bit Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\LEGO Racers\LEGO.JAM

Assuming you have a copy of the game installed.

• 4 months later...
On 2/10/2012 at 6:29 PM, JrMasterModelBuilder said:

As requested by le717, I have added a portable, standalone version to the topic post.

Excellent, just what I wanted also. Too bad it's a whooping 17mb.

JrMasterModelBuilder
On 2/10/2012 at 10:54 PM, Cyrem said:
On 2/10/2012 at 6:29 PM, JrMasterModelBuilder said:

As requested by le717, I have added a portable, standalone version to the topic post.

Excellent, just what I wanted also. Too bad it's a whooping 17mb.

Yeah. Unfortunately, the portable bundle option involves packing it with an entire copy of the AIR runtime, so, the size explodes.

• 2 weeks later...
JrMasterModelBuilder

Just added some basic useage instructions for the new version.

Done already? With compression? 0_0 I'll be trying this our for sure! :D

Yep! All done! I helped that I already wrote it once, so I could rewrite it faster. I was also impressed by some of the features in Python not available in ActionScript that sped things up. Now if only Python were more like ECMA . . .

@Modded Lego Python is just the name of a coding language that you use to create programs.

We have 7 JAM programs. 0_0 5 are Adobe Air versions, one is Python, and one is C++. Granted, only 3 of those create usable archives, but once origamiguy writes his, we will have 4 compressors. Uh, clean up on the topic post! :P

COOL! new features for this will be nice.

Might even be the best extractor for lego racers. :af:

wait a second...?

i just downloaded it and it dosen't work.

It says that this version is not the right version for your system.

Here is the whole error message : The version of this file is not compatible with the version

of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see weather you

need a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the program, then contact the software publisher. I have a

32-bit operating system. Do i need a 64-bit to run it? :whistle:

JrMasterModelBuilder

COOL! new features for this will be nice.

Might even be the best extractor for lego racers. :af:

wait a second...?

i just downloaded it and it dosen't work.

It says that this version is not the right version for your system.

Here is the whole error message : The version of this file is not compatible with the version

of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see weather you

need a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the program, then contact the software publisher. I have a

32-bit operating system. Do i need a 64-bit to run it? :whistle:

Hmm, didin't expect that. I though the EXE it created was a 32-bit executable. Apparently, I created a 64-bit executable by mistake (I didn't know that I could do that). I'll compile a 32-bit version when I get on my Windows machine.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.