LEGO.jam File Extractor

JrMasterModelBuilder

@JMMB I can confirm that you compiled a 64-bit exe. I run Win7x64, and on Vista/7x64, 32-bit apps are denoted by *32 in Task Manager. I ran the extractor, and while it was running I found the exe in Task Manager and there was no *32.

By all means, go compile a 32-bit exe, but I would keep the 64-bit one for download. 64-bit will be the only bit Windows will come in soon (although from the Dev Preview, it looks as if Win8 will be both x86 and x64). Besides, some people like running 64-bit programs when there is one. ;)

By all means, go compile a 32-bit exe, but I would keep the 64-bit one for download. 64-bit will be the only bit Windows will come in soon (although from the Dev Preview, it looks as if Win8 will be both x86 and x64).

You're wrong. Windows 8 will have x86, x64 and ARM x64. Keep churning out the 32-bit apps.

By all means, go compile a 32-bit exe, but I would keep the 64-bit one for download. 64-bit will be the only bit Windows will come in soon (although from the Dev Preview, it looks as if Win8 will be both x86 and x64).

@Extreme If you're gonna quote, quote the whole thing. I didn't say the Win8 was going to be x64 only. I know that it will be x86, x64 and ARM. But there will be a day that Windows will be x64 only. The world cannot keep using x86 OSs, and devs will not create a x86 version if it is not profitable (Sony Vegas Pro 11 and Adobe Premiere Elements 10 are both x64 only). And VS 2012 will not create apps for WinXP unless devs forget about using the latest features. x64 only world is coming, like it or not. But until that day comes, 32-bit apps will be made.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Alright, I added a 32-bit version to the download. Now when you click download, you will have the option to download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

I also cleaned up the topic post.

@le717: I wasn't going to delete the 64-bit version. The 64-bit version should be faster.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
CaptainStripeGaming

Well, I'm trying to modify this GODDAMN game for months, but this doesn't seem to work. I mean, it extracts all the files great, but the images are unopenable with Paint.net, CS3 Photoshop or MSPaint... Any help? I've already seen some peeps modding this game...

Noob Slayer

I can't get the extractor to work. I downloaded the 32 bit...unless it just won't work on windows 7. I'll try changing the compatibility to vista or something...

Never mind, still not working. It pops up when I click it, then it shows some text that I'm unable to read because it closes right after.

Well, I'm trying to modify this GODDAMN game for months, but this doesn't seem to work. I mean, it extracts all the files great, but the images are unopenable with Paint.net, CS3 Photoshop or MSPaint... Any help? I've already seen some peeps modding this game...

You just have to overwrite files with your own images. It will read your own BMPs, but the ones it uses are weird.

The BMP files included with Lego Racers are NOT standard bitmap files. Origamiguy will tear your head off if you insist otherwise. However, the game supports standard BMP (8-bit, I think) and TGA, so do what Lair said.

• Like 2

JrMasterModelBuilder

I can't get the extractor to work. I downloaded the 32 bit...unless it just won't work on windows 7. I'll try changing the compatibility to vista or something...

Never mind, still not working. It pops up when I click it, then it shows some text that I'm unable to read because it closes right after.

It's a command line tool. It stays open as long as it has something to do, then closes. To use it, drag-and-drop your LEGO.JAM file onto JAMExtractor.exe and it will extract it.

To use it, drag-and-drop your LEGO.JAM file onto JAMExtractor.exe and it will extract it.

...like you said in the opening post. People need to learn to read the damn manual. :whistle:

The BMP files included with Lego Racers are NOT standard bitmap files. Origamiguy will tear your head off if you insist otherwise.

Or else I will - I've been trying to decode them for more than a week now.

CaptainStripeGaming

HOLY SHEET, I DID IT!!!

Down'ed jamesster's templates, figured out which texture is which, AND MADE THE LEGO MINECRAFT STEVE!!!

YUCK FEA!!! I tought it was impossible, lol

:af:

p.s. thanx you last 4 repliers :P

CaptainStripeGaming

Dafuq?

Today I started LEGO Racers, loaded all good, when at once, A WILD ERROR APPEARED!!!

Dunno how, all the textures I replaced last night were lost and all usual textures were used, even after I deleted the backup LEGO.jam.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?! ALL DEFAULT TEXTURES WERE DELETED, EVEN THOSE IN LEGOJAM FOLDER!!! TEXTURES WEREN'T IN THE COMPUTER!!!

I WANT TO KNOW WHY AND HOW!!!

p.s. not trollin at all!

Edited by CaptainStripeGaming

• 5 months later...

Can you make two small changes to the Python JAM Extractor, JMMB? I've read your code, but am unable to do it myself. First (and is optional if it is too much), can the file of files be printed as they are extracted, kinda how origamiguy's JAMExtract did it? Second, if the folder the files are extracted to ends in "_JAM" (example, LEGO_JAM), can you remove it so the files the new JAM file won't be called "LEGO_JAM.JAM", rather "LEGO.JAM", as it is supposed to be?

JrMasterModelBuilder

Can you make two small changes to the Python JAM Extractor, JMMB? I've read your code, but am unable to do it myself. First (and is optional if it is too much), can the file of files be printed as they are extracted, kinda how origamiguy's JAMExtract did it? Second, if the folder the files are extracted to ends in "_JAM" (example, LEGO_JAM), can you remove it so the files the new JAM file won't be called "LEGO_JAM.JAM", rather "LEGO.JAM", as it is supposed to be?

Yes, I can make it print out the files as they are extracted, perhaps with a -verbose argument as that will be a lot of text. I can add that second feature as well, although it will end up creating a file named LEGO_1.JAM if there already is a LEGO.JAM file in the folder.

Anyway, I've added the project to GitHub, if anyone would like to submit pull requests. The current version online is functionally the same as the original Python version, just a little cleaned up and now has a proper license.

Thanks JMMB! You are the dude with the LEGO JAM! :D

Spoiler

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6797/legojam.png

mod note: image link dead and replaced on imageshacks end

BTW, you need to fix the topic post again. Xentax changed the link to the JAM documentation, and the link mentioning the no-JAM method is split in two. Also, I've made a GUI for your Python version, and if you want, you can add a link to it to encourage the use of the Python build.

• Like 1

BabylonRaiderz

Ok, I need some help here, cause I know nothing :P

Everywhere I read I see that people mention using the LEGO.jar file for the use of the extractor, but I don't know where said file is in the first place. All that I'm aware of is that I open the .jam file with the extractor and the folder with the files that form the .jar will appear, but, as I said before, I don't know where to find the .jam file.

Help plz?

The BMP files included with Lego Racers are NOT standard bitmap files. Origamiguy will tear your head off if you insist otherwise. However, the game supports standard BMP (8-bit, I think) and TGA, so do what Lair said.

To make the game load a TGA instead of a BMP for a given texture, you have to modify the relevant TDB (texture listing, for 3D models) or IDB (image listing, for 2D displays) and remove a particular flag for that texture (I forget the exact value but I believe the Binary Editor labels it).

Ok, I need some help here, cause I know nothing :P

Everywhere I read I see that people mention using the LEGO.jar file for the use of the extractor, but I don't know where said file is in the first place. All that I'm aware of is that I open the .jam file with the extractor and the folder with the files that form the .jar will appear, but, as I said before, I don't know where to find the .jam file.

Help plz?

First off, welcome to RRU! I'm le717.

Now for your question:

Yea, you are confused. LEGO.JAM contains the game files. LEGO.JAM can be found in the same folder as LEGORacers.exe, which is where ever you install the game. You use the JAM Extractor to extract LEGO.JAM and reveal the game files, which are found in the resulting MENUDATA and GAMEDATA folders (which, in the current version of the extractor, are in a sub-folder called LEGO_JAM. ;)

BTW, we need a Racers Modding FAQ. ;)

• Like 1

BabylonRaiderz

Thanks for the welcome :D

Hmm, that's weird, cause on my LR folder there's just the LR exe, the Read Me and the Uninstaller. I'm guessing it's somewhere else, assuming that the game is correctly installed. My copy is the 1999 version, if it helps.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Thanks for the welcome :D

Hmm, that's weird, cause on my LR folder there's just the LR exe, the Read Me and the Uninstaller. I'm guessing it's somewhere else, assuming that the game is correctly installed. My copy is the 1999 version, if it helps.

You must be looking at the shortcuts that get created in the All Programs folder when it's installed. Right click on the LEGORacers shorcut > Properties > Find Target (or something to that effect, not running Windows ATM).

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.