Loco Recreational Project

Tauka Usanake

Tauka Usanake

Okay this is something I've wanted to try doing but wonder how it would work out. As stated in past topics there are some images pulled out of LEGO Loco that are unreadable to the unexperienced or at least missing their header. The size of the images are the same size as the sprites (if to be used in this case) used in the game itself. This led me to thinking of PrtScn-ing everything that is unreadable, or EVERYTHING if I get bored enough :af: so as to have a proper set of files used by the game. I don't know how many people still like or care for this game besides me, but seeing as I'm pretty useless at everything else, this seems easy enough for someone of my skills level.

Plus I don't have a life. :P

Others are welcome to join if they want or at least do some study on it to help me out. There is one thing I would ask on assistance with; what would be the best process to capturing the moving minifigs? That will be the hardest part of this project and I can't see myself PrtScn-ing every step they make (although I TOTALY CAN :D ). Thoughts on that would be nice.

Addictgamer

I'd record a video of myself playing it, then use ffmpeg or something like that to convert the video into images of each frame.

You get every sprite in game and their animations :D.

Do we know what kind of image the files in question are supposed to be? BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG? If it's png I have a tool to normalize png file, so hopefuly that might work on them. If not, meh.

Tauka Usanake

Do we know what kind of image the files in question are supposed to be? BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG? If it's png I have a tool to normalize png file, so hopefuly that might work on them. If not, meh.

I believe they were supposed to be .bmp files, though they are headerless so I'm not sure. You could try using your tool if you want, kill my project more than what Lair has right now. :(

No, it probably wouldn't work unless they're actually png files, but I guess I'll try it anyways. I'll also need a sample file or two.

Tauka Usanake

No, it probably wouldn't work unless they're actually png files, but I guess I'll try it anyways. I'll also need a sample file or two.

I think my zip file of files is still existing somewhere. It's like one of the two files I've uploaded. :/

Tauka Usanake

Blarg. Okay this is another post but more than a day after last. Could I get a list of people that have Loco? It might be helpful to know and to find other buildings. There is apparently one that has a base plate of 6x6 squares. :| And is a house...

physical_occupancy

6 6 3 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 0 0 0 0 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0 

1 1 0 0 1 1

1 1 0 0 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

1 1 0 0 1 1

1 1 0 0 1 1

bitmap_occupancy

6 6

3 3 0 0 3 3

3 3 2 2 3 3

2 2 2 2 2 2

2 2 2 2 2 2

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

What I find interesting is that it doesn't go higher than it's bmp meaning it's a fairly flat building. The only other things that get that big are the brick mountain and volcano but I've found both those in a different folder.

PWNZOR and Lair of Rockwhales have Loco, I know that.

Also, the only building 6 squares wide is the Space Shuttle, but it's only 3 long.

In fact... there isn't ANYTHING with 6x6 occupancy. The Volcano is only 6x5, though the image itself is 6x6.

Edit: Red Double Thatch hous is also 6x3.

I have Loco too...it's not installed, but if you require any help with this, you can slap me with a shovel.

I'd record a video of myself playing it, then use ffmpeg or something like that to convert the video into images of each frame.

You get every sprite in game and their animations :D.

That could take up a very large amount of space, because you'd have to store the uncompressed frames to avoid compression artifacts.

I also have/had loco, but haven't seen the disc in donkey's years, so I declare it lost.

Tauka Usanake

Is there any mods for LEGO loco so far? yes, i had this game for over 10 years. :chief::sparks::bandit:

I've had it long too. I really like the game. I would like to try and be in charge of this in the modding area so once I get everything rebuilt I will see what could be read from the .dat files. Maybe I'll post something before then. It's all simple really but I wonder what you have in the other file included with each item.

Tauka Usanake

Okay I've found something kind of annoying. So the files that can be read are all in .bmp 256 color format. Others still unknown. Now while I was copying the train tracks into their own files I was doing the same thing over and saving in 256. However it seems that there is a color loss when you do that. Relizing this I went ahead and converted (saved as) the two track bmps that could be read from 256 color into 24-bit. Then I rebuilt the RFD and RFH files and placed them into the correct place. I started Loco and the two straight tracks (the ones I changed) did not exist. I couldn't even place down new ones. I'm willing to bet that Loco ONLY supports 256 color bmps and that there must be some kind of wacko format they made up to have those other colors work because the 256 format wasn't enough.

I other words, s*** be hardcoded. :'( Let me first test if replacing unreadable with 256 color does anything...

Edit: I recreated the island.bmp, what you get when you make a circle with road turns, and all the black borders were missing. I should try something with the pink alpha next.

Edit edit: Replaced the track curve ne bmp. Black was missing again and alpha pink was showing. It is safe to say that they have some other format for the unreadable bmps and that something in the game can read them as they are. :(

It sounds like the same issue with slimy slug eyes. With the slug eyes, you had to open it with GIMP and look at the color map. Whatever coor was #14 was the transparent color. Likewise, you should find out which color number the pink background is.

Tauka Usanake

It sounds like the same issue with slimy slug eyes. With the slug eyes, you had to open it with GIMP and look at the color map. Whatever coor was #14 was the transparent color. Likewise, you should find out which color number the pink background is.

SO I have to install GIMP now? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

Fine. I'll get to it later.

Edit: Okay how do I open an unreadable .bmp into GIMP? It doesn't like the format.

• 3 weeks later...
Crystalwarrior

Okay I've found something kind of annoying. So the files that can be read are all in .bmp 256 color format. Others still unknown. Now while I was copying the train tracks into their own files I was doing the same thing over and saving in 256. However it seems that there is a color loss when you do that. Relizing this I went ahead and converted (saved as) the two track bmps that could be read from 256 color into 24-bit. Then I rebuilt the RFD and RFH files and placed them into the correct place. I started Loco and the two straight tracks (the ones I changed) did not exist. I couldn't even place down new ones. I'm willing to bet that Loco ONLY supports 256 color bmps and that there must be some kind of wacko format they made up to have those other colors work because the 256 format wasn't enough.

I other words, s*** be hardcoded. :'( Let me first test if replacing unreadable with 256 color does anything...

Edit: I recreated the island.bmp, what you get when you make a circle with road turns, and all the black borders were missing. I should try something with the pink alpha next.

Edit edit: Replaced the track curve ne bmp. Black was missing again and alpha pink was showing. It is safe to say that they have some other format for the unreadable bmps and that something in the game can read them as they are. :(

Pure black = transparency.. Thats whats your problem. Replace black with a little bit brighter one

Edit: Okay how do I open an unreadable .bmp into GIMP? It doesn't like the format.

...I was talking about the images with incorrect transparency. Of course it's not going to read an unreadable file...

Well, it should like .bmp...try it in another editor first, and save it to another format, and if that doesn't work, you may need to hex edit it to try edit headers or something.

• 2 months later...

Blarg. Okay this is another post but more than a day after last. Could I get a list of people that have Loco? It might be helpful to know and to find other buildings. There is apparently one that has a base plate of 6x6 squares. :| And is a house...

physical_occupancy

6 6 3 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 0 0 0 0 

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0 

1 1 0 0 1 1

1 1 0 0 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

1 1 0 0 1 1

1 1 0 0 1 1

bitmap_occupancy

6 6

3 3 0 0 3 3

3 3 2 2 3 3

2 2 2 2 2 2

2 2 2 2 2 2

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

What I find interesting is that it doesn't go higher than it's bmp meaning it's a fairly flat building. The only other things that get that big are the brick mountain and volcano but I've found both those in a different folder.

I recognize that kind of bitmaping from Allegro. Those aren't true bitmaps. They're Allegro Graphics Library C++ source code, albeit stored in files with the .bmp extension.

• 4 weeks later...

physical_occupancy

6 6 3

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0

1 1 0 0 1 1

1 1 0 0 1 1

0 0 0 0 0 0

1 1 0 0 1 1

1 1 0 0 1 1

bitmap_occupancy

6 6

3 3 0 0 3 3

3 3 2 2 3 3

2 2 2 2 2 2

2 2 2 2 2 2

1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

I recognize that kind of bitmaping from Allegro. Those aren't true bitmaps. They're Allegro Graphics Library C++ source code, albeit stored in files with the .bmp extension.

What? You will help me with this. Actually I've kind of stopped trying to mod it but if you know something then by all means do something.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.