1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"

Arthuriel

it would take ages to integrate it into the LeoCAD or MLCAD files (the LeoCAD files are slow or unloadable and I hate the MLCAD controls (maybe I'm just too stupid xD))

Maybe you should try one of the other alternatives... I'm currently using SR 3D Builder (I love how snappy it is), but there's also Bricksmith, LDCad and Konstruktor. Go try them all!

Good idea with using different programs. I think, that I even tried to use the SR 3D Builder, but it didn't really load (I guess, that it was a runtime error). Maybe/hopefully the other alternatives are better.

• 1 year later...

now i know that bricks are not as tall as they are long / wide

but no idea which way you got the lenght in bricks

so lets say a normal human is 180 cm

and a LEGO minifig is to scale, a minifig is 4 bricks tall

a brick is 9,6 mm tall, 9,6 x 4 = 38,4 mm

38,7 / 10 = 3,84 cm

180 / 3,84 = 46,875 cm per brick

46,875 x 975 = 45.703,125 cm / 100 = 457,03125 m  long

46,875 x 134 = 6.281,25 cm / 100 = 62,8125 m  wide

46,875 x 133 = 6.234,375 cm / 100 = 62,34375 m  tall

so a tad bigger then the largest carriers we have currently

its rough numbers, but best i can do with current information 

so yeah time to make this in Space Engineers

also i cant get the file to load

not with LDD and not with LeoCAD

Wow, a post after such a long time :D.

I think, that some user (I think, it was Tracker) also calculated the possible size of an actual spaceship and it was in the same area if I remember it correctly.

There were also discussions, if those calculations even make sense because there isn't really a reference in that game etc.

I got the ship's dimensions via an option in MLCAD, that shows you the length, width and heigth of the model.

The downloaded file actually works in LeoCAD (I tested it to make sure about that). The solution to your problem: just scroll into the model. After a while (a few seconds) you should see the ship since there is a view limit in that program (you can't see stuff beyond that limit). Why is that the case? I don't know.

If that doesn't work: Just wait. I remember that the loading times were ~1 hour (I don't know the exact number anymore) with an older computer and a hdd. Even the switch to a ssd brought it down to under a minute and with a faster computer it is only few seconds.

16 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

Wow, a post after such a long time :D.

I think, that some user (I think, it was Tracker) also calculated the possible size of an actual spaceship and it was in the same area if I remember it correctly.

There were also discussions, if those calculations even make sense because there isn't really a reference in that game etc.

The downloaded file actually works in LeoCAD (I tested it to make sure about that). The solution to your problem: just scroll into the model. After a while (a few seconds) you should see the ship since there is a view limit in that program (you can't see stuff beyond that limit). Why is that the case? I don't know.

If that doesn't work: Just wait. I remember that the loading times were ~1 hour (I don't know the exact number anymore) with an older computer and a hdd. Even the switch to a ssd brought it down to under a minute and with a faster computer it is only few seconds.

well thanks

but yeah that it strange that there is a veiw limit

anyways, now to make it in space engineers

3 hours ago, kris220b said:

...now to make it in space engineers

I wish you the best of luck. I'm intrigued by what it'll look like in that game.

Just now, Ben24x7 said:

I wish you the best of luck. I'm intrigued by what it'll look like in that game.

ye

going to take a while

and more people 

if i can a hold of any

not planning to to do much interior

just the bridge and mayby that hangar / teleport room you see in the intro

and mayby the lab / reactor room you see at the ending

3 minutes ago, Arthuriel said:

For some reason I remember your username from somewhere else, kris220b, but I don't know from where exactly.

btw: Someone asked for help for a possible L.M.S. Explorer project in Space Engineers in reddit (over) a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers/comments/2a14sb/ship_request_lms_explorer/

well im active on G+ and steam

and i make workshop content for space engineers

rining any bells?

1 minute ago, Arthuriel said:

Actually not sadly : /  (Maybe I will remember it one day).

also got the ship to show itself

so much zooming

and god the programme does not like it

On 12/4/2016 at 8:09 PM, Arthuriel said:

And now you know, why the ship isn't finished^^ (I could do it one day, but the task isn't that exciting).

not like its much more exciting to do so in SE either

• 3 weeks later...
aidenpons

Beautiful.

This makes me want to play LRR again.... but I can't, it won't run on Win10 and likes crashing everywhere else in any case.

One question - What's the door made out of, and does it slide open? I'd like a closer look at it, unless you can explain it.

Arthuriel

0/10 No chair D: = No points. Why do you even post this heresy on RRU?

Excellent, Sparks. You have built a very accurate (real life!) version of the L.M.S. Explorer :D. Sadly I haven't really prepared a medal for this moment and I don't want to post the "there was an attempt"-star, because that would be just insulting^^.

Sometimes I have seen posts, where people wrote, that they want to build the whole ship or at least a part of it and never done it, but you made it. Good job :).

I think, that I haven't really checked the stability (to make a real version), because it was already difficult enough to create an accurate version on the computer.

And now time for some questions:

Did you have to change a lot to make it work in reality?

Did you use my crazy construction technique for the lights above the control panels?^^

Did you try to build it in the older grey tones? Was it caused by some bricks not being available or because dealers demanded a crazy price (like 10 bucks per brick)?

P.S.: It's nice to see, that this thread is still active after ~ 4 1/2 years.

Sparks8805
16 hours ago, chromecrusher said:

oh and how much $$$$

My guess would be maybe $350 in parts, I haven't totaled up all of my orders yet.

10 hours ago, aidenpons said:

One question - What's the door made out of, and does it slide open? I'd like a closer look at it, unless you can explain it.

Two 4511 sliding door parts. I'll photograph the mechanism I used to connect them and add it to a hyperlink HERE when I get home from work.

And yes, they do slide open.

9 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

I think, that I haven't really checked the stability (to make a real version), because it was already difficult enough to create an accurate version on the computer.

And now time for some questions:

Did you have to change a lot to make it work in reality?

Did you use my crazy construction technique for the lights above the control panels?^^

Did you try to build it in the older grey tones? Was it caused by some bricks not being available or because dealers demanded a crazy price (like 10 bucks per brick)?

1. A few parts of the build were 1/3 of a brick higher than others, so I ended up having to reinforce them with a layer of plates, but other than that, only the elevator doors and the floor in front of them.

2. I did. The only issue I had was with the 4070 parts. The stud on the side of the brick extended out past its edge, so it wouldn't fit snugly against the other bricks. I ended up just substituting 6541's instead, so it was a relatively simple fix. (Shown here)

3. I did as much as I could in light grey, but I had to order several parts in light bluish grey due to some of the pieces being relatively "new" molds (i.e. 1x2x2 slopes). The 2x2x3 double convex slopes were the only bricks I compromised on because of price. The Light Grey ones were upwards of $6.00 (each), whereas I could get 20 of the Light Bluish Grey ones for about $5.00. As much as I dislike mixing light gray and light bluish grey, for that price, I didn't have a problem with it, and I think all in all the model looks fine with a few mixed colors. Other than that, I think the only other light bluish grey bricks are the sliding doors.

origamihero
1 hour ago, Sparks8805 said:

My guess would be maybe $350 in parts, I haven't totaled up all of my orders yet.

I would pay $500 for it if I had the cash.

You should show it off at brick con

• 2 months later...
  • lol username featured this topic
  • 2 months later...

I finally revised my recreation of the L.M.S. Explorer.

Here is the picture and its description, that I uploaded yesterday:

large.1-to-1-L.M.S-Explorer-revised-vers

Finally I managed to fix the problems, that I have found in my older version of the ship.

Due to having a faster computer it was way easier and much faster to work with LeoCAD (loading the file takes ~ 5 seconds), though I recommend saving all the time since the program can crash (I have two saves in case, that the program crashes during saving. That way I always have another save).

I fixed quite a lot on that ship:

-added teleporter/radar dishes at the bottom

-added elevator shaft to the back of the bridge

-changed the outside of the bridge a bit

-modified the front to make it look more like in the videos and the magazine (thanks for uploading that picture, Ringtail :) )

(it means, that it is more narrow now and that I changed many elements on it)

-changing the width of the whole ship a bit (reduced by 4 studs) due to the changed front

-the upper layer is a bit  wider due to the changed front

-flat side walls (+adding black lines)

-changed the antenna on top of the front

-changed the dark grey structure next to the antenna on top of the front

-changed the colours of the sidewall windows (although I probably have to change them again)

-changed those dark grey openings/windows on top of the teal stripes etc. (they are one instead of two types now and they contain transparent elements now

-changed the dark grey pit in front of the bridge

-added Power Miners

-changed the structure with the eleven domes, that you can see behind that top antenna

-changed the area between the bridge and the dribes

-changed many grey areas to dark grey ones after checking the sources again

-removed useless bricks inside the ship

-stuff, that I have forgotten to mention

There is still room for improvements on that ship, but I like it more than the older version. The next thing will probably be a poster with pictures of the ship from different angles. I think, that I will also upload the ldr-file (can be used for LeoCAD and LDView. Mabye other programs, too).

P.S.: The extended intro of Rock Raiders was also helpful for improving stuff like the front.

• Arthuriel changed the title to 1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.