Rock Raiders: Source

codsniper

Hello all,

I am here to show you all my idea for a Source Engine Modification of Rock Raiders. I've posted a thread before, but I wanted to start a new one with the new Ideas for it.

Old Thread Can that thread be removed please?

Basic Ideas:

• I want to follow the story line of the original game as much as possible
  • I want to have a fully customized FGD for the making of more maps
  • I want to use all of the available High-Quality models we have here
  • I want to use HD Textures of at least 256x256 for the walls
  • I want to have the original game's sound files, but maybe modified ones of higher audio quality
  • I want to use the original game's music, and any other music the community has composed
  • I need your help to get this mod up-and-runnning

People Needed:

• A few people knowledgeable in C++
  • A talented modeler
  • A few people with good knowledge of making source mods
  • Someone good with Creating textures
  • Someone good with composing music and effects sounds
  • Anyone else wanting to contribute

Mod Todo List:

• Determine whether to use top-down RTS Style (like origional), First-Person RTS style or a toggleable mode
  • Convert Textures to VTF or aquire Custom HD textures
  • Create Alpha Test map
  • Code entities
  • Create FGD for future maps
  • Create/Aquire HD models
  • Find a good Development Team
  • Create a Mod Website

List of Ideas for in-game entities will be on the soon to come website

Website is up HERE!

Hello all,

I am here to show you all my idea for a Source Engine Modification of Rock Raiders. I've posted a thread before, but I wanted to start a new one with the new Ideas for it.

Old Thread Can that thread be removed please?

Cyrem generally locks topics instead of deleting them. I dunno if you should start a new topic, but I'm not the moderators.

Basic Ideas:

• I want to follow the story line of the original game as much as possible
  • I want to have a fully customized FGD for the making of more maps
  • I want to use all of the available High-Quality models we have here
  • I want to use HD Textures of at least 256x256 for the walls
  • I want to have the original game's sound files, but maybe modified ones of higher audio quality
  • I want to use the original game's music, and any other music the community has composed
  • I need your help to get this mod up-and-runnning

1. Not too hard, considering it had a very basic storyline to begin with.
  2. No idea what an "FGD" is, please enlighten me.
  3. I think people will be fine so long as you ask them directly and give them credit.
  4. Just HD all the walls at minimum of 800x600.
  5. That should be fine.
  6. I'd change the music; no offense to the sound guys, but they could have done better. Also, I don't think much of the community (apart from Cirevam) has made music for the game.
  7. Well. That hasn't exactly been a community strong-point, as far as I've seen.

People Needed:

• A few people knowledgeable in C++
  • A talented modeler
  • A few people with good knowledge of making source mods
  • Someone good with Creating textures
  • Someone good with composing music and effects sounds
  • Anyone else wanting to contribute

1. Don't look at me, I barely can C program...
  2. I can get models out of LDD, but otherwise I'm useless.
  3. Only if you really need people, seeing as I've forgotten a lot of it.
  4. Nope.
  5. Not really.
  6. We'll see if your mod can prove itself as one to be on the development team.

Mod Todo List:

• Determine whether to use top-down RTS Style (like origional), First-Person RTS style or a toggleable mode
  • Convert Textures to VTF or aquire Custom HD textures
  • Create Alpha Test map
  • Code entities
  • Create FGD for future maps
  • Create/Aquire HD models
  • Find a good Development Team
  • Create a Mod Website

1. Toggle. I will be very upset if the project completes and it's missing First Person.
  2. I'd start converting the textures until you've got someone to make the newer ones.
  3. Good idea.
  4. Good luck with that.
  5. Once again, WHAT IS THAT?
  6. Read above.
  7. I'm not exactly your first preference if you want a "good" team.

Website is up HERE!

Your website states you want to start getting a little more "realistic". Don't. For the love of God, too many games are trying to be realistic. Please stick with the LEGO theme.

I have something similar that I hope to do that uses some of the more basic filetypes, such as .map files and other files that are hex of text based. The .lwo files would be replaced by .ldr or .dat (the LDraw version), the .lws files by a modified form of scene description language, as normal SDL already allows for animation, but not necessarily using another file as an object, and certainly not an LDraw file. The AI will be in a separate file written in Msdl as well, since SDL is an interpreted programming language in the sense that it has loops, functions, and decision structures. A few additions to the syntax to allow it to be a full language are all that would be needed, hence Msdl. There are many good reasons to reuse the .map and configuration files and replace the object files with .dat or .ldr. Firstly, they are already as simple as they will get for there function in terms in format (hex, text) so that is how they would have ended up anyways. Second the tools are already here and are rather robust. I don't think I have had a single crash with Map Creator and MLCAD only crashes after you fail to heed the warning that you are running out of resources (a lagfest) and if all else fails, Notepad and a hex editor will get the job done. That describes what the "current" version of ORR-Origin looks like.

I could help you with this, but I've just started Source modding. I know how to make maps and all that, but I cannot:

• Do coding stuff.
  • Model
  • Create textures
  • Create music/sounds

Well, I can make Ldraw models and export them to .obj or .3ds formats. I can't compile models for source though.

So, yeah. I can create maps.

Your website states you want to start getting a little more "realistic". Don't. For the love of God, too many games are trying to be realistic. Please stick with the LEGO theme.

I meant by that for it to look like Half-Life 2, unless someone could provide an awesome model of a raider

Also an FGD is the file that lists all of the game entities in hammer

well , what i can do for you is : music , sounds , textures , models and some scripting

Im working on some concept art for models, if you could give me a sample of the Rock Raders Theme music improved or some sound effects you can be the sound guy

Also your site is awesome

I can create maps.

I forgot to ask: Realistic caves or Rock Raider style caves or maybe a mix of the two?

Also, CGTextures.com is a good site for textures.

well , what i can do for you is : music , sounds , textures , models and some scripting

Im working on some concept art for models, if you could give me a sample of the Rock Raders Theme music improved or some sound effects you can be the sound guy

Also your site is awesome

tganks :3 could you send a link to origional theme music?

Fluffy Cupcake
Also, CGTextures.com is a good site for textures.
That's the site I usually use when I want to retexture games to have a more realistic look. :P

Main menu (I will add more detail to it)

That's actually a pretty cool one. Could you maybe animate similar to the original LegoRR, with Rock Raiders and Slugs and Monsters all moving about doing random, crazy stuff?

Could you maybe animate similar to the original LegoRR, with Rock Raiders and Slugs and Monsters all moving about doing random, crazy stuff?

Yes, I'm planning on doing that. Since it's a .bsp, you can add pretty much whatever you want.

Could you maybe animate similar to the original LegoRR, with Rock Raiders and Slugs and Monsters all moving about doing random, crazy stuff?

Yes, I'm planning on doing that. Since it's a .bsp, you can add pretty much whatever you want.

Awesome! You should have a guy who looks like your DP pop up after 10 mins, just to scare the player into doing something.

Wow.

When I first read about this, I thought: "pffft. This ain't going anywhere." (But I get that a lot about cross-engine mods.) I'm loving all that work that s0d has done so far. Just one thing: MAKE IT LEGO. I would seriously get mad if you don't make it lego. and pro-tip: Use breakable brushes for the destroyable walls, it would look good that way.

Anyways, I like the progress and I hope you'll be faster than a certain other source mod that I ain't going to mention *coughtBMScought*.

Wow.

When I first read about this, I thought: "pffft. This ain't going anywhere." (But I get that a lot about cross-engine mods.) I'm loving all that work that s0d has done so far. Just one thing: MAKE IT LEGO. I would seriously get mad if you don't make it lego. and pro-tip: Use breakable brushes for the destroyable walls, it would look good that way.

Anyways, I like the progress and I hope you'll be faster than a certain other source mod that I ain't going to mention *coughtBMScought*.

I assure you we will be out of alpha before they say their actualy going to release it anytime soon

@codsniper I'll give you a download link when I get home. Glad you liked it ;)

@pascal Sure, send it over Skype when I get home.

okay ehm , do you have 3D studio max? becouse the file is only for that now :l

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.