How Can I Make My Rock Raiders Drill Through Soild Rock

fun

i want to know if that possible NO I REPEAT THIS IS NOT TO CHEAT FOR THE SPEED RUNS this is for my own modded version that i want to use and i know how to do hard rock but as for solid have no clue any help would be nice.

You can't. Nothing can drill through Solid Rock, and nothing can be modded to do so. You have to use debug keys if you want to break those walls.

You can't. Nothing can drill through Solid Rock, and nothing can be modded to do so. You have to use debug keys if you want to break those walls.

well then i guess that means i would need the source code to do that right? and do have the debug keys enabled so i well just use that to do it oh well i just though it would be nice to see vehicles and Rock raiders drill through solid rock guess that want happen.

Being able to drill through Solid Rock would only break the game and make it boring and way too easy. If you could drill through anything, you could easily just dig your way to an objective instead of having to navigate a maze. On a map that requires you to make careful choices on how you build your base, you would be able to simply cut out floor space wherever you need it.

I'm with 40K. The solid rock defines the play space. If you can drill through it, you have no boundaries, and the hidden object missions would be broken because you could just drill your way straight to them. This is a stupid idea.

I'm with fun. The solid rock defines the play space. If you can drill through it, you have no boundaries, and the hidden object missions would be broken because you could just drill your way straight to them. This is a stupid idea.

Fun is the one who originaly wanted to drill through solid rock.

well then i guess that means i would need the source code to do that right?

No, you cannot get the source code, it is not possible. And even in the 1/10,000,000,000 chance you acquired it, it would be useless without DDI's GODS engine... and there is no chance you're getting that either.

Why people even talk like the source is acquirable is beyond me.

well then i guess that means i would need the source code to do that right?

No, you cannot get the source code, it is not possible. And even in the 1/10,000,000,000 chance you acquired it, it would be useless without DDI's GODS engine... and there is no chance you're getting that either.

Why people even talk like the source is acquirable is beyond me.

Since most game modding requires or uses the source code to change things, like in half life. It is not uncommon to think that you could decompile a game and edit whatever, however realistically that is rarely the case, and even if you do decompile it you end up with a bunch of unorganized crap. DDI did an unusual way of making the game by adding a .cfg file that dictates how a large portion of the game works.

DDI did an unusual way of making the game by adding a .cfg file that dictates how a large portion of the game works.

Actually, its not unusual. The .cfg is designed to allow quick modification of variables for developers who are constantly playing with their values, as well as an easy way of saving custom user settings (not applicable in LegoRR, but many programs use .cfg files to save user paths and other settings which the user can change themseleves).

Simply put, you use a .cfg whenever you need to change variables without having to re-compile the program after every edit, and the LegoRR dev team, from my guess, where so pressed for time that they decided it would be more simple this way.

While that may be the case, it is less common to have it all in one .cfg file, I've seen games that use .cfg files, but there were several for certain features.

While that may be the case, it is less common to have it all in one .cfg file, I've seen games that use .cfg files, but there were several for certain features.

Alright, you got me there ;P

I'm assuming it was only for the convience in the time-frame they were given; just have everything in one place.

• 4 months later...
elrunethe2nd

If you had the source, wouldn't it be somewhat easier to port the game to a different engine given how a great deal of logic would be spelled out for you?

If you had the source, wouldn't it be somewhat easier to port the game to a different engine given how a great deal of logic would be spelled out for you?

I disagree. You might be able to use small snippets, but playing and observing the way the final product works is good enough to make a game which works on a new engine. I don't think you could even use the majority of the code, because when you port, you're porting it to a pre-built engine which is possibly made with a new programming language. If you're good at using the new engine, then logic should come naturally to you.

elrunethe2nd

I disagree. You might be able to use small snippets, but playing and observing the way the final product works is good enough to make a game which works on a new engine. I don't think you could even use the majority of the code, because when you port, you're porting it to a pre-built engine which is possibly made with a new programming language. If you're good at using the new engine, then logic should come naturally to you.

I didn't mean copying over source code directly.

The likelihood, as you say, of having the same programming language is small, and a new engine wouldn't have the same functions as DDI's one. That's a given.

The game logic of interaction and whatnot, however, could be useful to observe if one was going to rewrite it all with emphasis on high fidelity and staying true to the original.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.