dead_name

Latest build: Beta 2 (adds SKB skybox support, DirectX issues not yet fixed)

Old builds:

Beta 1

Requires .NET Framework 4

Make sure to read the readme file to understand the controls.

If you launch it with a -window flag, it will run in a 640x480 window.

I am aware that some users are having DirectX issues, I am looking into this.

Edited by Slimy Slug
Fixed links

I'm enjoying this tool. I'll probably be exploring the game's models for the rest of the week. Curse you for filling up my free time with cool things!

I agree, despite some polygons being messed up, it's quite interesting to look at the models outside of the game in a new perspective.

Fluffy Cupcake

I agree, despite some polygons being messed up, it's quite interesting to look at the models outside of the game in a new perspective.

I agree as well. I always enjoy seeing models outside the game.

On 1/25/2012 at 2:58 AM, Pranav said:

It doesn't work for me. :(

I have installed the .NET Framework 4. Here is what i get as an error.

122n87o.pngkeydf8d580329d14e0800540f378c

Oh. I knew there were likely to be DirectX issues, I didn't do the necessary research to fix them. I'll look into it and get back to you. Apologies!

I do not know why it's not working for you, but it works for me! Thank you origamiguy! I have posted some pics on my Brickshelf too. It's not public yet, but here is the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=495376

I will highlight some in an edit later.

Alright! Time for pictures! The folder is not public yet, but that doesn't really matter because I was going to highlight some anyway. :P Pictures are in a spoiler to save space. (Yes, I do know that the vertices are not fully figured out yet. But from what I've seen, they look pretty complete.)

[warn='Big Pictures Ahead!']The following are large (1080p) pictures. Please click the spoilers with care.[/warn]

Knightmare-Athon

gdb_viewer_01.png

Hey look! It's the red brick!

gdb_viewer_02.png

I don't know about you, but that looks like a bad patch job.

gdb_viewer_03.png

There is a gaping hole in the side of the track. The only thing stoping us from going into it is the little bit of track terrain at the bottom. Also, notice the checkpoints and power-ups.

Pirate Skull Pass

gdb_viewer_01.png

Nice clear view of the left-over powerups.

gdb_viewer_02.png

Hey! That patched area from LegoEssence's picture is part of the model!

gdb_viewer_04.png

That is a gaping hole in the cliff. Wonder why that wasn't patched up?

Rocket Racer Run

gdb_viewer_01.png

If you think that track was hard to race, how much harder do you think it was to design? I mean look at it!

There are a few more in the folder, and I will be taking more soon. Hopefully, since I will be updating it, it won't take too much longer to moderate!

Edited by le717

gdb_viewer_04.png

That hole is just there because it's the /top/ of the rock. You'd never see it during normal gameplay, so it was simply omitted from the model. There are a lot of places in the other maps which do this also.

That hole is just there because it's the /top/ of the rock. You'd never see it during normal gameplay, so it was simply omitted from the model. There are a lot of places in the other maps which do this also.

Ah. I see. I'm guessing that it is like that to save resources, in both compiling/running and in designing?

Ah. I see. I'm guessing that it is like that to save resources, in both compiling/running and in designing?

Pretty much, yeah. Designing less so, but definitely in both hard-drive space used and amount of data to be sent to the graphics card. Remember, this was released in 1999 and so optimizations had to be made wherever possible.

Pretty much, yeah. Designing less so, but definitely in both hard-drive space used and amount of data to be sent to the graphics card. Remember, this was released in 1999 and so optimizations had to be made wherever possible.

That could have been a reason why the shortcuts were taken out. Two shortcuts in Knightmare-Athon would have put a lot of strain on a computer from 1999. And the same thing might apply to Pirate Skull Pass. But that doesn't explain why they did left shortcuts out of those tracks completely.

That could have been a reason why the shortcuts were taken out. Two shortcuts in Knightmare-Athon would have put a lot of strain on a computer from 1999. And the same thing might apply to Pirate Skull Pass. But that doesn't explain why they did left shortcuts out of those tracks completely.

Personally I doubt it. The renderer implements volume culling so it's only processing the sections of track that are within the screen bounds. I think it's more likely that through playtesting they found the shortcuts made it too easy to win against the AI.

I think it's more likely that through playtesting they found the shortcuts made it too easy to win against the AI.

I've also thought that. The beta screenshot on this thread leads me to think the same thing.

Fluffy Cupcake

Pirate Skull Pass

gdb_viewer_04.png

Well since you commented on that gap I'm surprised you didn't say anything about this. :P

kmexpsdsc.png

there is still an opening on knightmare-athon's shortcut exit in the viewer.

Pirate Skull Pass

gdb_viewer_04.png

Well since you commented on that gap I'm surprised you didn't say anything about this. :P

kmexpsdsc.png

there is still an opening on knightmare-athon's shortcut exit in the viewer.

That's just the "there are some broken polygons" issue that I'm very aware of. The fact that it's occurring near the patched-up exit is probably not a coincidence.

Well since you commented on that gap I'm surprised you didn't say anything about this.

Spoiler

I did say something about that. I just forgot to add the picture. *oops* The link in that post will take you to it.

Very good work, origami! This is a really nice program. Keep up the good work! Something else too. You released Beta 1 yesterday morning, and last night before I went to bed, you released Beta 2. I was kinda expecting Beta 3 this morning because of how fast Beta 2 came out. :P

I thought of something last night. It was a new member, who has made only one post to this day, which was the GDB format topic, that set off this chain reaction. Shows you what a random new member can do!

I thought of something last night. It was a new member, who has made only one post to this day, which was the GDB format topic, that set off this chain reaction. Shows you what a random new member can do!

Are you talking about me? xD

Well about the beta 2. I downloaded the DirectX 9 and tried running the GDB viewer. It started, a blank screen appeared and crashed. But i still think that this is an directx issue but as you said that you have still not looked into the directx issues, so i will have to wait for you to fix them.

I was kinda expecting Beta 3 this morning because of how fast Beta 2 came out. :P

I'd like to make clear that these releases will certainly not be on a regular schedule. New features take time, in this particular case SKB was an easy addition. Other additions will be more lengthy.

Are you talking about me?

Nope. I'm talking about this guy: SeppleBebo

I'd like to make clear that these releases will certainly not be on a regular schedule. New features take time, in this particular case SKB was an easy addition. Other additions will be more lengthy.

I know that, origami. I was joking. Hence the :P. Programs take a long time to create, especially when the formats are still being figured out. ;)

Hey origami. You can stop working on fixing that DirectX error if you want. I just found a computer that had that error, and after looking at the error message carefully, I found out what was wrong.

The error message says that the program can not find a file on the computer. It's nothing to do with the viewer.

@Everyone who has the error!

Go to the link below and download the exe. Run it and let it download everything it wants. When it's done, launch the viewer. It will load right up! No need to reboot!

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

The page says it updates DX up to 9.0c. But you run Vista/7, you don't need that? Doesn't matter. Vista/7 runs 9.0c programs. You are missing some DX files on your machine. That program will get anything you are missing and will get the viewer up and running. ;)

• ShadowDraikana changed the title to GDB Viewer 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.