Developer Cfg's

Cyrem

So here it goes. I was doing all my daily reading of HEX and things, bit of testing here... bit of testing there. I was looking at the file listing of DR and I noticed a file named "DEVELOPER.CFG". :af: I thought. Back I went looking at the GTC to try and make out what the file contained. I made out that it was an INI file and that the first key was probably "[CORE INIT]". I also saw the word "DEBUG". So I made a CFG file in the same path as the original is in the GTC in hopes it may override it. I put in the info hoping that it might result in at least an error with some useful info. So started the game, nothing changed which wasn't really a suprise. So I quit the game and went back to the CFG I wrote. Then a miracle happened....

The game overwrote my invalid ini entries with the full set of default entries. So now I have the full uncompressed Developer.cfg file. I tried changing some entries, but the game keeps writing them back to the default values. Then I tried something else. It had a "DevelopersName" variable. I put in "Henry" just for kicks.... started the game... nothing happened then I quit. The game again wrote to the file... but instead it wrote a CFG setup for a "Steve" which had all different values in it. Now, "Steve" is one of the programmers for the game.

Sample: (Yes I tried turning the debug ones on)

[cCore, INIT, SINT32] (0 .. 5)		TrackVariation = 1

[cCore, INIT, STRING] (24)		DeveloperName = "Default"

[cCore, INIT, STRING] (100)		MapName = ""

[cCore, INIT, STRING] (100)		Language = "British"

[cCore, INIT, STRING] (100)		StartupScript = "empty"

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		AllowAllDebug = 1

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		cSanitaryTextDebug = 0

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		cConsoleDebugCom = 0

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		cControllerDebug = 0

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		cConfigDebug = 0

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		cVMDebug = 0

[cCore, DEBUG, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		KarmaDebug = 0

[cCore, RENDER, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		rRenderGemSpline = 0

[cCore, RENDER, SINT32] (0 .. 1)		VisRender = 1

[cCore, CONTROLCAR, STRING] (24)		ControlCar = "car 0"

[cCore, DEFGROUP, SINT32] (0 .. 64)		DefaultGroup = 18

Here are the 2 complete CFG's: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r430/

What does this mean?

- I have now confirmed where the decompressed file size is located (this applies to LR2 also)

- Now knowing the compressed and decompressed state of a file, this should make finding out what the compression is much easier. This effects LEGO Racers also provided they use the exact same compression.

- We got a sample of a developers configuration setup.

And yes, I checked LR2 to see if it also had a CFG, but it doesn't.

Edited by Slimy Slug
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
JrMasterModelBuilder

Whoa! How did I not find this before! This will be very useful for cracking the compression! I'll have to play with this!

JrMasterModelBuilder

:( I can't seem to recreate the Steve CFG writting. Can you tell me the exact steps you did?

In the hex, I found this bunch of strings grouped together:

ANDREW

ROBB

NOD

DAVID

JAY

OLI

JULIAN

STEVE

JUSTIN

SIMON

ROBJ

TONY

OKSE

PHIL

JIMMY

CHAD

MIKE

IAN

GAVIN

DREW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.