Lego City: Undercover

Fluffy Cupcake

• 1 month later...

BULL. F***ING. S***. THE CHARACTER HOLDING A GAMEPAD IS NOT "WOVEN TIGHTLY INTO THE STORY". IT'S A F***ING REFERENCE THAT NO-ONE WOULD MIND ON THE OTHER PLATFORMS. THIS GAME WOULD WORK BETTER ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE WII F***ING U.

STUPID. F***ING. C***S.

• Like 3

Because the developers got paid off by Nintendo, like Ubisoft by Sony, to make a console exclusive (or in Ubisoft's case, at least a game with console exclusive features), so that Nintendo could get more sales on their gimmick.

Oh, and check out these screenshots from when the game was first announced at E3 2011... Notice anything?

Yeah, that's a little minimap in the corner.

Hrrrmgh.  Sounds like Lego/Nintendo are trying to annoy us...

What say we figure out a way to emulate the Wii U, then get press on it, with Lego City Undercover as the demo?  Then, we can show Lego and all the rest that if they don't build for PC, we'll make it work, albeit with much grumbling and angry letters.

I like the minimap idea; for an open-world, it's fairly necessary (there have been some that pulled it off without a minimap, the Hitman games for example).  I don't think it would work for the older Lego games; exploration and getting lost was a major part of the game.

I think i'll probably be buying this.

I already have a WiiU (don't kill me) so that isn't an issue.

I have to say, though, that this game actually was a decent factor in my decision to get one.

At Nintendo's E3 press conference it was really the only game that impressed me.

It blew me away simply because I wasn't expecting it. I mean, I would expect the highlight of the show to have been some big-name first-party franchise,

but no,

the star of the show was this.

amazing.

• 2 months later...

As I was watching an online walkthrough of the game, I was struck by how much the chef by the pool sounded like The Director in Island Xtreme Stunts. Then, when Vinnie Pappalardo was introduced, his voice brought to mind both Papa and The Brickster in IXS (later he began to sound much more like The Brickster). I checked the credits, and sure enough James Goode and John Guerrasio are both credited as voice actors in both of the games. I was initially hopeful that this might mean we would see a cameo from The Brickster, but having now finished watching the walkthrough it seems that this isn't the case.

Seeing as they use essentially the same voices in both games, I would guess that they were placed in LEGO City: Undercover as an intentional reference to IXS. Or, perhaps it is just a remarkable coincidence. Either way, it is quite interesting.

lol username

As I was watching an online walkthrough of the game, I was struck by how much the chef by the pool sounded like The Director in Island Xtreme Stunts. Then, when Vinnie (Vinny? Vinni? Something like that) Popalardo was introduced, his voice brought to mind both Papa and The Brickster in IXS (later he began to sound much more like The Brickster). I checked the credits, and sure enough James Goode and John Guerrasio are both credited as voice actors in both of the games. I was initially hopeful that this might mean we would see a cameo from The Brickster, but having now finished watching the walkthrough it seems that this isn't the case.

Seeing as they use essentially the same voices in both games, I would guess that they were placed in LEGO City: Undercover as an intentional reference to IXS. Or, perhaps it is just a remarkable coincidence. Either way, it is quite interesting.

Wow. I noticed Vinnie Pappalardo sounded like the Brickster right away, but I didn't even think of the chef and the Director until you mentioned it. Oboe Shoes also mentioned on the shoutbox that the voice actor of the King from LEGO Chess also did stuff for LEGO City Undercover, but I don't know who.

Wow. I noticed Vinnie Pappalardo sounded like the Brickster right away, but I didn't even think of the chef and the Director until you mentioned it. Oboe Shoes also mentioned on the shoutbox that the voice actor of the King from LEGO Chess also did stuff for LEGO City Undercover, but I don't know who.

Drat, I just realized I spelled Vinnie's last name incorrectly. Rather ironic, as I was less certain about the spelling of his first name.

I never would have guessed that the King's voice actor had a role in the game too. None of the main characters seem particularly likely to me, but perhaps the actor provided background voices?

I begin to wonder why they do not specify which actor played who in the credits. It would be quite helpful for acquiring useless trivia in situations such as this. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wait two years, get it in the PC release.

Yeah... Good luck with that.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/travellers_tales_lego_city_undercover_would_definitely_lose_something_on_other_platforms

iPhone perhaps?  ;)    

A telephone is not strong enough to run an 8th gen console game (insert dumb phones are for calling people only argument here) and that's even worse than being on wii u anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Apparently if you dig up the Nintendo sales report on page 5, Lego City Undercover has 1,190,000 copies sold. That seems to be.... rather high, but I'm not well-versed in game sales. It made it onto the Wikipedia list of best-selling video games for 3DS, however that's a fairly long list.

Just thought you lot might want to know that (and I'm well aware of the date - if this isn't important enough to lever this out of necromancy go ahead & delete it)

lol username
9 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Apparently if you dig up the Nintendo sales report on page 5, Lego City Undercover has 1,190,000 copies sold. That seems to be.... rather high, but I'm not well-versed in game sales. It made it onto the Wikipedia list of best-selling video games for 3DS, however that's a fairly long list.

JSYK, the Wii U and 3DS games are totally separate games with their own stories and only the main characters/location shared between them. LEGO City Undercover is the Wii U game, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins is the 3DS game. The 3DS game is a prequel to the Wii U game.

These links/numbers you've posted are relevant to the 3DS game.

2 years ago, these statistics were recorded about Nintendo console sales. VGChartz seems to have fairly reliable data on their current sales to date which puts the numbers slightly higher as of 2016.

If we go with the VGCharts data, the 3DS has sold around about 60 million units. That means only roughly 2% of all the world's 3DS owners actually owned LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins. Meanwhile, the Wii U only sold under 14 million units. I know that LEGO City Undercover was bundled with the system here in Australia, but I can't see the numbers being much more favourable.

EDIT: The sales report you included was from 2014, which means there were only 50mil 3DS units sold. That means their market share was only 0.2% higher than my original estimate. Either way, minuscule.

• 1 month later...

Are you guys looking for the files for this game? I heard you people are good at decrypting.

I made a post on the quickbms forum too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

Please tell me they're not going to do something like this every time they release a new series of LEGO CITY Police sets?

Other than that, I'm so grateful that this next instalment isn't limited to Wii U or 3DS users. More people get to enjoy the game and TT Games gets more money. Its a win-win situation!

Spoiler

Unless it turns out to be a quick cash-in.

Hopefully not...

EDIT: I take that all back, I didn't take a look at LEGO's response about the game. So let me rephrase everything I just said;

"ABOUT DARN TIME."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.