Axel's Mod 1.5 (Updated, 4/10/2015)

Axel

You may have installed the mod incorrectly; the .icd file was not involved in the mod - it's located in the main Rock Raiders folder, and this mod is all in the DATA folder/.WAD files (I think it's in the .wads).

wumb7t.jpg

I'm working on improving the overall biome textures, and so this will include my new biomes and the old ones alike.

I'm also, in doing this, trying to rectify issues that existed in the old biomes and those introduced in my new ones, such as color issues and so on.  Most of the problems were of my own causing, though, so I've been working on fixing them to the best of my ability, modeling a new, actually lego-ized wall support, using the models in the game for the energy crystal and ore seam textures, revamping the lava textures and rubble textures, and so on.  This is just to make things blend together a bit more, and to improve the graphics quality overall.  I hope you enjoy!  :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rapidshare download is broken again, choose mediafire or google's cloud drive, these seem to work better, and they don't delete old download files.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Eaol, I've installed your mod, but it keeps crashing every 5 minutes on almost all maps? maybe due to me not having the right .cfg? Could you repost the config file, rapidshare must have deleted it!

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

So I've taken a massive break from this.  Many of you thought it was dead.  But Axel's Mod never dies.  At least, not as long as I keep periodically coming back to it.

Thing is, I got so caught up in updating the textures it became tedious.  I can pick up where I left off, but it's gonna take a while.  I've pretty much finished the updated rock biome, and I have 14 more biomes to go.  I want a unique look to the monsters from each biome, and I really want some more creatures and loads of scenery, and new missions.  We'll see how this works out.  No promises yet.

Shadowblaze

Thing is, I got so caught up in updating the textures it became tedious.

If you need help on textures and such, even just not to waste time, why don't you ask someone to help you? I myself can't do textures, but there are a few dudes/dudettes here that are quite talented, you could ask them about this.

I apologize for the use of the term "dudette", but I felt it was worth pointing out.

I'm working on revamping completely all the biome textures.  Hopefully, when this is done, they'll look the 'same' but a lot higher resolution and a lot smoother.  Basically making all the textures from scratch.  The default Rock biome will look a lot more like the rock caves in the cutscenes :)

qrd7dc.jpg

Just to give you an idea of what this is.  It's a Work-In-Progress Dirt Wall texture for a revamped ROCK biome.  If I'm satisfied with this kind of thing, all biome textures, including those on scenery objects, will be getting this treatment.  Suggestions welcome!  ^_^

• Like 2

Shadowblaze

That looks very nice, good job! The amount of hues makes the texture look quite interesting. What's the technique you used to make it?

Suggestions... Well, I'm not too familiar with LEGO Rock Raiders, so... I don't know what to tell you. :P

Haha, you're following a mod for a game you don't play?   :P

Anyway, I basically re-drew the regular texture for the rock shapes so it's recognizable, then I did a lot of crazy filter magic and stuff of the like.  This way, it's reasonably fast, but it'll take a while anyway, one texture at a time.  I'm one guy :P

You know, I actually seriously considered physically modelling some of the walls and then photographing them/getting lighting on them for reference.  But I think this style instead looks fine, though I might change my mind for some textures - there's a limited number of kinds of surfaces I can do with this method.

Shadowblaze

Haha, you're following a mod for a game you don't play? :P

Yes of course, why shouldn't I? :P

Anyway, I basically re-drew the regular texture for the rock shapes so it's recognizable, then I did a lot of crazy filter magic and stuff of the like. This way, it's reasonably fast, but it'll take a while anyway, one texture at a time. I'm one guy :P

You know, I actually seriously considered physically modelling some of the walls and then photographing them/getting lighting on them for reference.  But I think this style instead looks fine, though I might change my mind for some textures - there's a limited number of kinds of surfaces I can do with this method.

Ah, the good old crazy filter magic, it never fails.

Hm, sounds like a tedious method. But if it becomes necessary, I guess trying it out can't hurt. :thumbsup:

Fluffy Cupcake

It looks.... interesting to say the least. I'm not sure what to think of it by just looking at the texture alone without it being in use.

Yeah.  I've already changed the ground texture again.  If I'm remaking the rock biome, I want the floor's darkness to be similar to the regular biome's brightness.  It'll make it feel more like a remake than a new biome.  Also, the ground texture in the shared image is atrocious.

• 2 months later...

First I say thank u for this improved reexploration of the game, the nostalgia is strong^^

But I have one problem: My native language is German, I also understand english very well. But somehow the mod changed the tooltip voice over to French xD  Text is english, so its not a problem but a bit annoying. Baz's mod changed everything but the intro VO to english...

Do you have any idea what caused this? My game version seems to have multiple languages but I had to extract the cab file, so im stuck with what I got from the Universal extractor, which also seems to be french by default...

Any help appreciated :D

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't start for me. Loading screen fills the progress bar then gets stuck. What should I check? I'm running Win7 professional. Baz's mod didn't exhibit the same behavior.

Fluffy Cupcake

Something may be conflicting, perhaps? Are you playing with or without WADs? Either way I'd attempt reinstalling over a vanilla (unmodified) game.

• 1 year later...

Hello Axel and all the other RockRaiders,

First of all I have to say thanks for what you made that game to be. Also thanks to Baz. Last post here is a year ago, so let’s see if there is some life left.

Two short questions:
Are you still working on this? Will there be a v2 or at least v1.6?
Would you be so kind and upload the fixed cfg again?

Well, you asked for features we would like to see in a new release. At the moment I try to make a level per day (you might know the “no-time”-thing) and write down everything that comes to my head while playing.
For me the most important to give that game more fun-factor would be some bug fixes more than new features. I see that you are mostly working on textures for now but I am not sure if this is what the game needs. Also I am not sure if it makes sense as long as we stay on 640x480.

However, here is my list. Some bugs might not be bugs (LEGO-Team might say “it’s not a bug it’s a feature”) but it feels like a bug to me personally:

Bugs

general
-    wall will not be destroyed if dynamite explodes while landslide comes down and makes it impossible to dynamite again (icon is greyed out)
-    Small Digger cursor changes to pick up item when trying to do so. But it is unable to carry items. I would say make it possible to carry at least one item but only if you tell him to do so. (like Loader Dozer does)
-    RockRaiders can walk at the walls edge near water or lava
-    grey out first and second person to avoid accidently click them and crash the game

AI-Upgrade
-    I saw three guys walking directly onto dynamite without being scared.
-    running away from dynamite in small caverns is very problematic and often does not work
-    when running away from dynamite they sometimes turn around to collect an item
-    RockRaiders should avoid places where every 20 seconds a landslide comes down. I also saw one guy waiting for something to do in front of that wall!
-    When selecting a vehicle and choose “get driver” sometimes no one will do that (I waited about 15min) If you try to manually command a RockRaider into that vehicle now he will not do that. You have to teleport it back home and order a new vehicle.
-    When selecting a RockRaider carrying dynamite to a wall, he will go back to the tool store to pick up a new dynamite. I am not sure but sometimes I think the dynamite job completely gets lost.
-    also they often pick up and drop ore at the tool store and I see the ore amount raising

Features
Input-Method: The game knows nothing more than a left click. Adding some shortcuts would be a big plus in comfort. Let me suggest
-    close Popups with ESC or Enter (Use Enter to go through briefing pages)
-    WASD to move (not turn) camera view
-    Alt+WASD to move map view
-    Mouse-Wheel to Zoom
-    Alt+Mouse-Wheel to zoom map view
-    M to open map view
-    T to open track view
-    Shift+T to track selection
-    Menu navigation through numbers: 1 will teleport RockRaider down. 2 will open buildings menu and then 1 will select the tool store. Maybe some letters for most used ones.

Big Changes
-    keep unit(s) selected to make navigating and drilling easier
-    add some kind of workzone you can set (maybe in map view) to avoid working in dangerous places (landslides, monsters) and to avoid running deep into new caverns just to remove some landslide
-    different Priorities for vehicles for example to avoid a waiting chrome crusher because a RockRaider is coming (in 5 minutes) to drill the wall you just told to while chrome crusher was still working (for 2 more seconds)
-    Make Hover Scout able to boost away rubble (slightly faster than a RockRaider). This must also be balanced with Loader Dozer to don’t lose its value. Maybe Loader Dozer could be made possible to clear all rubble in a row and leave all items where it stops to collect them easily.
-    To add sense to the Small and Large Mobile Laser Cutter I think there must be a fourth wall type than cannot be drilled by anything but only laser cut. Or maybe laser cut first and dynamite afterwards (let’s say to burn a whole and placing the dynamite inside)
-    Make Geological Center and Geologists able to recognize landslides 10 seconds before. Warn with notification

Others
-    RockRaiders not being scared when you command them manually
-    Make it possible to see names and skills without selection. Use spacebar to shuffle through a few different view options
-    level4 upgrade indicator in skills-view
-    upgrade or train all RockRaiders that have been selected
-    upgrade all vehicle features without having to click one-by-one
-    when manually teleporting home a RockRaider, teleport it down again in the next level
-    eating sandwiches should give some health
-    cancel teleporter waiting list with right click
-    Geological Center beep is annoying
-    It’s a question of level design and difficulty but it’s very unrealistic that constant landslides come down a hard rock. You cannot drill it but it falls by itself?

Graphics and outside of game
-    16:9 support would be great. Maybe you can leave the HUD as it is with 1280x720
-    another outfit for level 4 RockRaiders or for every level (for example level1 the blue/red one, level2 the one with brown helmet, level3 the guy in gray, level4 the boss)
-    level percentage for the first mission block or at least some finish indicator
-    save game pictures are quit useless, could be the last played level picture

What do you think now?
Gandlz

39 minutes ago, gandlz said:

Bugs

general

1. wall will not be destroyed if dynamite explodes while landslide comes down and makes it impossible to dynamite again (icon is greyed out)
  2. Small Digger cursor changes to pick up item when trying to do so. But it is unable to carry items. I would say make it possible to carry at least one item but only if you tell him to do so. (like Loader Dozer does)
  3. RockRaiders can walk at the walls edge near water or lava
  4. grey out first and second person to avoid accidently click them and crash the game
  1. Not fixable, it's an obnoxious thing the game does sometimes, sorry.
  2. The Small Digger by default doesn't have a cargo null, I'm not sure what Axel changed here.
  3. Not fixable
  4. Alternatively, they could turn down the first-person draw distance, since that's probably what's making the game crash as it can't handle looking down long hallways.
41 minutes ago, gandlz said:

AI-Upgrade

AI is not upgradable. This is just a mod, not a new game.

42 minutes ago, gandlz said:

Features
Input-Method: The game knows nothing more than a left click. Adding some shortcuts would be a big plus in comfort. Let me suggest

The input can't be changed. Again, this is just a mod, all we can change are models, textures, object entries, and level layouts.

43 minutes ago, gandlz said:

Big Changes

1. -    keep unit(s) selected to make navigating and drilling easier
  2. -    add some kind of workzone you can set (maybe in map view) to avoid working in dangerous places (landslides, monsters) and to avoid running deep into new caverns just to remove some landslide
  3. -    different Priorities for vehicles for example to avoid a waiting chrome crusher because a RockRaider is coming (in 5 minutes) to drill the wall you just told to while chrome crusher was still working (for 2 more seconds)
  4. -    Make Hover Scout able to boost away rubble (slightly faster than a RockRaider). This must also be balanced with Loader Dozer to don’t lose its value. Maybe Loader Dozer could be made possible to clear all rubble in a row and leave all items where it stops to collect them easily.
  5. -    To add sense to the Small and Large Mobile Laser Cutter I think there must be a fourth wall type than cannot be drilled by anything but only laser cut. Or maybe laser cut first and dynamite afterwards (let’s say to burn a whole and placing the dynamite inside)
  6. -    Make Geological Center and Geologists able to recognize landslides 10 seconds before. Warn with notification
  1. Not possible.
  2. Not possible.
  3. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here.
  4. This is doable, but why would a hover scout be able to clear rubble?
  5. Adding new wall types isn't possible. There are already four wall types since seams have their own drilling values, and I personally was gonna turn ore seams into "hard rock" when I used to mod, since one stick of dynamite couldn't bring them down like other walls. Laser cutters are just kinda crap in general tbh.
  6. Not possible.
46 minutes ago, gandlz said:

Others

1. -    RockRaiders not being scared when you command them manually
  2. -    Make it possible to see names and skills without selection. Use spacebar to shuffle through a few different view options
  3. -    level4 upgrade indicator in skills-view
  4. -    upgrade or train all RockRaiders that have been selected
  5. -    upgrade all vehicle features without having to click one-by-one
  6. -    when manually teleporting home a RockRaider, teleport it down again in the next level
  7. -    eating sandwiches should give some health
  8. -    cancel teleporter waiting list with right click
  9. -    Geological Center beep is annoying
  10. -    It’s a question of level design and difficulty but it’s very unrealistic that constant landslides come down a hard rock. You cannot drill it but it falls by itself?
  1. Isn't this already how it works?
  2. Not possible.
  3. Not sure what you're asking here.
  4. Already how it works.
  5. Not possible, not sure how that would work even if it was possible.
  6. Already how it works.
  7. Not possible.
  8. Not possible, they stop teleporting when the air can't hold any more.
  9. This is one of the first things you've suggested that can actually easily be changed with just a line of code.
  10. Go complain to Stewart about that.
49 minutes ago, gandlz said:

Graphics and outside of game

1. -    16:9 support would be great. Maybe you can leave the HUD as it is with 1280x720
  2. -    another outfit for level 4 RockRaiders or for every level (for example level1 the blue/red one, level2 the one with brown helmet, level3 the guy in gray, level4 the boss)
  3. -    level percentage for the first mission block or at least some finish indicator
  4. -    save game pictures are quit useless, could be the last played level picture
  1. lmao
  2. I think this is possible, but I'm not sure. It really just involved using different models per upgrade, like vehicles do, but in this case ones that are shaped the same but have different textures.
  3. The first eight missions don't save level percentages, and any after the 33rd mission don't count towards your total score. This is obscenely stupid, but again, that's just how DDI coded it.
  4. Aren't they already?
51 minutes ago, gandlz said:

What do you think now?

I think you expect way too much out of us. A lot of this stuff is hard-coded. It'd be easier to make a new game from scratch than try to reverse-engineer this, and a lot of people are already doing just that. Throw your ideas at them, not us .WAD modders.

• Like 1

OK. Sorry for being crazy. I know nothing about modding but you are right, that would be a new game.

You say “a lot of people are already doing just that”. Is there any playable release yet? Can you provide a link?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I've noticed an issue on a few of the earlier levels - on completing them, the score seems to indicate that I didn't discover all possible caverns, even though I had drilled/exploded all possible rock. Do some levels have impossible-to-access caverns in them?

Wje1pfJ.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana
On 10/20/2016 at 5:47 PM, TGP1994 said:

I've noticed an issue on a few of the earlier levels - on completing them, the score seems to indicate that I didn't discover all possible caverns, even though I had drilled/exploded all possible rock. Do some levels have impossible-to-access caverns in them?

Wje1pfJ.png

I actually encountered the same thing on Baz's mod during the exact same mission.  If this screenshot is from Axel's mod then it would suggest that a bug was carried over.  

To be clear, there shouldn't be any impossible-to-access caverns at all.  If there are then something is seriously wrong.

If Axel is still working on this mod then the outlined issue hopefully can be corrected.  

Hopefully this answers your question @TGP1994

16 hours ago, Slimy Slug said:

I actually encountered the same thing on Baz's mod during the exact same mission.  If this screenshot is from Axel's mod then it would suggest that a bug was carried over.  

To be clear, there shouldn't be any impossible-to-access caverns at all.  If there are then something is seriously wrong.

If Axel is still working on this mod then the outlined issue hopefully can be corrected.  

Hopefully this answers your question @TGP1994

Thanks @Slimy Slug, that does answer my question. I guess it's been so long since I've played Baz's mod... I was in the mood for rock raiders lately, and thought I'd try out Axel's mod. It's been quite a lot of fun!

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

UPDATE:  Today I played through Seamless, The Hard Rock Life, and Down in the Dirt from Baz's mod with the same 96% number appearing for caverns discovered.  It's clear now that this is a bug, but again, who knows if this is fixable.  I'd be interested to know if this shows up on the same missions in Axel's mod as well.

@TGP1994 You're welcome! 

Edited by Slimy Slug
Typo in Axel's name

• 2 months later...
  • Cyrem pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.