Enable Select Level Menu

legomoe

I was looking though the 'LEGO Island 2.exe' with a hex editor today, searching for embedded text strings, when I stumbled upon a section of the .exe from 5703360 to 5718543 that controls all the in-game menus. After poking around in this section for a while, I found a sub-menu labeled "Debug" that wasn't linked with any other existing menu. So I tried replacing an existing menu slot in the main menu with this "Debug" sub-menu, and lo and behold, it turned out to be a sub-menu that lets you load ANY level in the game.

I've created an IPS patch that replaces the "New Game" option under the "Start" menu with this new "Select Level" sub-menu. Clicking this should give you a list where you can select what level to load. (The menu is kind of buggy, it will resize itself based on the width of the currently visible levels, so I find it a lot easier to scroll though and select levels using the arrow keys and enter, rather than the mouse).

Here's a link to the patch: http://www.mediafire..._Any_Level).zip

And here's a link to download Lunar IPS, which you'll need to apply the patch: http://fusoya.eludev...ility.org/lips/

EDIT: If the Lunar IPS patch won't work for some reason, I've created my own utility that will patch the exe all by itself.

Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4m3f5kcyxg3o91d/LI2_SelectLvl_Patch_v1.0.zip

Just extract the 'LI2 SelectLvl Patch v1.0.exe' file into the same directory as your 'LEGO Island 2.exe' file and double click the patch exe to apply it. (this method does not require any ips patch file)

Edited by legomoe

The only thing the patch does for me is rename the load game menu to "Fel".

Hmm, that's not supposed to happen...

Try replacing the patched exe with a copy of the original, then try patching it again, but this time check the box in Lunar IPS that says "Create a log file". This should create a file called "LEGO Island 2 (load any level).log" in the same directory as the 'LEGO Island 2.exe'. And then if you wouldn't mind, please upload this log file so we can take a look at it.

lol username

Whoa, that's one heck of a find. Useful too! I'll download it to my laptop and try it in a minute. Would it be possible to add it to the pause menu as well, so we don't have to quit to the main menu to jump around the game?

well pepper314, I can't figure why Lunar IPS isn't patching your exe properly. The log you uploaded is identical to the one that Lunar IPS created when I patched my exe.

Fortunately, I have a backup plan! I've written my own patching utility, you can download it here: http://www.mediafire..._Patch_v1.0.zip

Just extract the exe in the zip file to the same directory as your "LEGO Island 2.exe" file and double click the patch exe to apply it.

Whoa, that's one heck of a find. Useful too! I'll download it to my laptop and try it in a minute. Would it be possible to add it to the pause menu as well, so we don't have to quit to the main menu to jump around the game?

That shouldn't be too hard to do. The only question is: what button in the pause menu should we override? maybe the Peppers House one? (I'm not positive, but I think you can get to Peppers House from the select level menu)

Perhaps this can fix the problem with the biplane minigame. :lol:

What problem is this? I've never heard of it.

On faster computers, the timer counts down too fast to be able complete the minigame.

lol username

On faster computers, the timer counts down too fast to be able complete the minigame.

I think the problem he was talking about was the one where if you lose the biplane minigame at least once before you beat it from the main story, it will never be unlocked on Pepper's computer on that save file and you won't be able to re-play it without loading a save from before you talk to the Adventurers in the desert.

And yeah, Pepper's House would be good to replace.

I think the problem he was talking about was the one where if you lose the biplane minigame at least once before you beat it from the main story, it will never be unlocked on Pepper's computer on that save file and you won't be able to re-play it without loading a save from before you talk to the Adventurers in the desert.

And yeah, Pepper's House would be good to replace.

Yes this was what I meant, but my game doesn't behave exactly like yours. As I remember it, I can always go into the minigame from Peppers House once every time the game is started. But if I quit and go back to Peppers House it will be locked and I can only go into the minigame again when I have restarted the game.

Fluffy Cupcake

Yeah.. that one where if you get a 0 score when completeing you don't unlock it (happens cause you have to rush through the level and lose points by crashing to make myself go faster)

Aaanywho, thanks for this!

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Yeah, the thing about the bi-plane minigame...you see, nothing has a timer on it except the plane's normal flight speed. The timer is what tells the game how fast things need to go. But since the plane is the only thing that happens to be timed, everything else runs too fast. When the plane is crashing, it flies at the speed it would if it had no timer. Thus, it's your only option if you want to make it through the level. One way around this is to run Fraps with the frame rate locked at 30 FPS, and record while you play it. This can be done with the free version too.

... One way around this is to run Fraps with the frame rate locked at 30 FPS, and record while you play it. This can be done with the free version too.

I never though about doing something like that. Thats really clever!

Well, I tried adding the Debug menu to the in-game pause menu, but it doesn't want to work. The Debug menu comes up, but it just closes the entire pause menu when you try and load a level. :(

lol username

... One way around this is to run Fraps with the frame rate locked at 30 FPS, and record while you play it. This can be done with the free version too.

I never though about doing something like that. Thats really clever!

Well, I tried adding the Debug menu to the in-game pause menu, but it doesn't want to work. The Debug menu comes up, but it just closes the entire pause menu when you try and load a level. :(

Aw, ok. Thanks anyway. I'll use the main menu one. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The download isn't working for me... does somebody mind uploading it to the Oresome Bucket?

What's happening is that the download is there, do the captcha, etc etc etc but when I click "Download" it just says "Your download should start shortly. Not working? Try again." I've re-tried but nothing seems to download.

The download isn't working for me... does somebody mind uploading it to the Oresome Bucket?

What's happening is that the download is there, do the captcha, etc etc etc but when I click "Download" it just says "Your download should start shortly. Not working? Try again." I've re-tried but nothing seems to download.

Is this the file you were after? http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/126

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.