Tutorial: Setting Up/Installing a LEGO Racers Mod

Jimbob

This is a tutorial for those new to LEGO Racers modding, which shows you how to set up your own LEGO Racers mod directory or install someone else's mod. Where possible, it is recommended to instead use PatchIt! for ease, however many mods aren't compatible with it yet, and setting up your own mod requires these steps be followed first anyway.

Note: A non-explanatory, quick-step guide is at the end of the tutorial for those who just want a brief run-down on how to setup/install a mod.

Contents:

• Like 2

Step 1: Creating a New Install Folder

The first step in modding is generally to create a duplicate of the original game, where the mod is to be made, and this applies to LEGO Racers too. To do this, you need to navigate to the folder where your game is installed. By default on Windows XP this is:

C:/Program Files/LEGO Media/Games/LEGO Racers

While the default for Windows 7 (64-bit) is:

C:/Program Files (x86)/LEGO Media/Games/LEGO Racers

Now select the LEGO Racers folder, copy it, and paste it in a suitable directory. This can be in the same directory as the original install, in your documents, etc*. I have a folder in the same directory as my original install folder which holds all my Racers mods.

*Note: If you do not have administrative privileges on your user account, you will need to copy the new folder into a location such as My Documents where you have read/write permissions, otherwise you will not be able to make any modifications.

Give this folder a suitable name that helps you identify it. For this example I will name my folder "LEGO Racers (Tutorial Mod)". See the picture below for a final idea of how your folder should look:

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_35138.jpg

Step 2: Extracting the .JAM File

LEGO Racers stores most of its data in the LEGO.JAM file. Most of the other files in the install folder are songs, and for this reason it is in the JAM file where modding takes place. To extract the JAM file, you will need to download the JAM Extractor by JrMasterModelBuilder. Open the folder and look for the "JAMExtractor.exe" file. This is the file that you will use to extract and compile mods, so it would be a nice idea to create a shortcut to this on your desktop so that you can access it easily.

Next, return to your new mod folder. Click and drag the "LEGO.JAM" file inside onto the "JAMExtractor.exe" file, and the program will begin to extract both folders. Once it is finished you will have a new folder, "LEGO", which contains two folders: "GAMEDATA" and "MENUDATA". The former folder holds all the files used during races, while the latter folder is for files used while navigating through the menus, which this includes cutscenes and the character/car creation section.

See the picture below for an idea of how your new mod directory should look. Note that this used the older version of the JAM Extractor, which created a folder called "LEGO_JAM" rather than "LEGO":

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_182102.jpg

Step 3: Installing a Mod (Optional)

If you set up this new mod folder for the purposes of installing a mod rather than creating your own, then follow this next step to install it. Otherwise, skip to Step 4.

Open the "LEGO_JAM" folder in your new install folder and, with this window still open, open your downloaded mod in a second window. The mod should contain two folders, "GAMEDATA" and "MENUDATA", just like your extracted folders. Simply copy both of these folders and paste them over your own folders, selecting "Merge" or "Copy and Replace" when requested.

If the mod you downloaded wasn't presented like this, you will need to find the creator of the mod and subtly shove them into a landslide. That, or you instead need to take a look at the files in the downloaded mod folder, along with any information in the forum post you downloaded it from. Should the mod creator not specify where to place the files, you will need to perform a simple search for files with the same name, replacing them with your own. Be careful of files with the same name in separate folders - for instance, all race tracks name the HUD map "IGD_MAP".

The screenshots below show the Nyan Cat-Athon mod being merged with the extracted files in the tutorial mod install folder. Note that this mod also includes a custom ".tun" file, which is placed in the root install folder where all the music tracks are:

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_43990.jpg

gallery_5738_300_6012.jpg

Step 4: Recompiling the .JAM File

Once you have finished modding your game, you need to recompile the LEGO. JAM file for use. Unlike LEGO Rock Raiders, the 2001 version of the game cannot use a "Data Method" which reads from the folders; it must use a compressed .JAM file instead. For this reason, you can leave your extracted files in the same directory and they won't affect your game.

To do this, select the "LEGO_JAM" folder containing your newly created mod. Ensure it contains all of the files from the original game, modified or not. Then, drag the folder onto the "JAMExtractor.exe" application to recompile it. Finally, place the file where the old file used to be. Voila! You have successfully installed a LEGO Racers mod.

The picture below shows the "LEGO_JAM" folder being recompiled:

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_3724.jpg

However, the 1999 version of the game can use the DATA method instead. While you can still recompile your .JAM file, it is easier to instead move the 'GAMEDATA' and 'MENUDATA' folders out of the extracted folder, and place them into the install folder. If the LEGO.JAM file is removed, the game will read from these folders, allowing for simpler modding.

What Next?

Once you've set up your folder for modding, it's time to decide what to do next. You could pat yourself on the back and walk away, or you could have a go at doing some modding yourself. If you're unsure what to do, here's a few suggestions to get you started:

• Download the LR Textures and Skin Textures packs, which will allow you to create a texture pack. You can use the Skin Texturing Tutorial if you need help.
  • Create your own names for the racers, and story for the game, by editing the language files with the SRF Editor.
  • Create your own Power-Up brick layouts, perhaps to make the game even more challenging or fun. Use the PWB Editor to do this.
  • Download the Binary File Editor, along with the In-Game Coordinate Viewer as it's very helpful, and re-work the positioning of the tracks and the paths the AI follow. It's a little tricky, but this tutorial on start-up positions and this guide on path files are great places to learn about it.
  • Or if you're one of those brainy types, you could research into many of the files (perhaps with the Binary File Editor) and contribute anything new you find here.

Quick-Step Guide

TL;DR? Just follow the steps below, with screenshots in the spoilers, for a brief run-through of the tutorial:

1. Copy your install folder and paste it somewhere, renaming it to your desired name.

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_35138.jpg

2. Drag the LEGO.JAM file within your mod's install directory onto the JAM Extractor file.

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_182102.jpg

3. (Optional) If you're installing someone else's mod, copy the "GAMEDATA" and "MENUDATA" files within the downloaded folder and paste them over your extracted folders, merging/replacing them.

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_43990.jpg

gallery_5738_300_6012.jpg

4. Drag the LEGO_JAM folder you extracted and modified back onto the "JAMExtractor.exe" file to recompile it.

Spoiler

gallery_5738_300_3724.jpg

While the default for Windows 7 is:

C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers

This only applies to 64 bit systems...

Thank you, I've corrected that. Hopefully everything else in the tutorial is okay then?

I've also added another section, 'What Next?', which just gives a few ideas to new modders on what to do.

RobExplorien

Very well done. This will probably help the newbies to LEGO Racers modding a lot, and good thing that you added the 'What next?' part.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Great tutorial! A couple of points:

The copied installation folder will need write permisions for the user account. On Windows versions newer than XP, this will not be the default for folders in the programs folders.

The latest version of JAMExtractor extracts to a folder named LEGO rather than LEGO_JAM and when rebuilt moves the old LEGO.JAM file out of the way.

The 1999 version of the game can actually run with the GAMEDATA and MENUDATA folders in the installation folder if the LEGO.JAM file is removed. This is how I run the game.

The copied installation folder will need write permisions for the user account. On Windows versions newer than XP, this will not be the default for folders in the programs folders.

The latest version of JAMExtractor extracts to a folder named LEGO rather than LEGO_JAM and when rebuilt moves the old LEGO.JAM file out of the way.

The 1999 version of the game can actually run with the GAMEDATA and MENUDATA folders in the installation folder if the LEGO.JAM file is removed. This is how I run the game.

Thanks! I don't quite understand the first suggestion though, could you please reword it a little? I have added the others though, again thank you.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Thanks! I don't quite understand the first suggestion though, could you please reword it a little? I have added the others though, again thank you.

Sure. In Windows XP any administrator account can freely modify the folders in "C:Program Files", however in Windows Vista onwards programs run with user level permissions, even if the user is an administrator. Attempts to modify the folders in "C:Program Files" and "C:Program Files (x86)" with the file browser be greeted with the User Access Control dialog asking to confirm that the program should be run with administrator level permissions. It's a security feature to prevent programs from running with the ability to modify system files without the users knowledge.

Anyway, JAMExtractor doesn't have any way of requesting the additional permissions to modify the folder and would fail (nor would doing so be very ideal as any programs to edit the files for a mod would need to do this also). It would be best to run the game from a folder that the user owns, which is the default for folders in "C:UsersYOUR_USERNAME" like the Documents folder. It is also possible to add a user to a folder with Right-Click > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > *Enter username* > OK > *Check box "Full control" under "Allow"* > OK if the folder is placed in one of the program files folders.

Sure. In Windows XP any administrator account can freely modify the folders in "C:Program Files", however in Windows Vista onwards programs run with user level permissions, even if the user is an administrator. Attempts to modify the folders in "C:Program Files" and "C:Program Files (x86)" with the file browser be greeted with the User Access Control dialog asking to confirm that the program should be run with administrator level permissions. It's a security feature to prevent programs from running with the ability to modify system files without the users knowledge.

I was going to say that exact same thing, but the database errors the past few days have stopped me from doing so.

• 2 months later...
dfranks24fan

Could you help me please? I am having trouble installing the Nyan cat track using patch it. How do i use patchit

Could you help me please? I am having trouble installing the Nyan cat track using patch it. How do i use patchit

For issues with PatchIt! it would probably be best to ask its creator, le717, either via a Private Message or on the topic post. However, if you'd rather not use PatchIt! to install Nyan Cat-Athon, simply extract the .ZIP file that came in the same folder as the PatchIt! install file, and install the contained folders as described in this tutorial.

In future, please do try to post your queries in the correct topic :)

For issues with PatchIt! it would probably be best to ask its creator, le717, either via a Private Message or on the topic post. However, if you'd rather not use PatchIt! to install Nyan Cat-Athon, simply extract the .ZIP file that came in the same folder as the PatchIt! install file, and install the contained folders as described in this tutorial.

In future, please do try to post your queries in the correct topic :)

Ninja. ;P

Yes, as Jimbob said, if you are having issues with PatchIt!, please do ask me either on the topic or in a PM. However, you'll still need to follow steps 1, 2 and possibly 4 of this tutorial to prepare the installation environment to install a mod until I get around to adding the JAM Extractor into PatchIt itself. ;)

Also, (again, as Jimbob already spoke), please do try to post your questions or comments in the correct topic in the future. :)

• 2 months later...

In Windows XP any administrator account can freely modify the folders in "C:Program Files", however in Windows Vista onwards programs run with user level permissions, even if the user is an administrator. Attempts to modify the folders in "C:Program Files" and "C:Program Files (x86)" with the file browser be greeted with the User Access Control dialog asking to confirm that the program should be run with administrator level permissions. It's a security feature to prevent programs from running with the ability to modify system files without the users knowledge.

Anyway, JAMExtractor doesn't have any way of requesting the additional permissions to modify the folder and would fail (nor would doing so be very ideal as any programs to edit the files for a mod would need to do this also). It would be best to run the game from a folder that the user owns, which is the default for folders in "C:UsersYOUR_USERNAME" like the Documents folder. It is also possible to add a user to a folder with Right-Click > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > *Enter username* > OK > *Check box "Full control" under "Allow"* > OK if the folder is placed in one of the program files folders.

I just realised I never actually updated the tutorial with this. Thank you for explaining it to me, I've added in a small note about it.

• 1 year later...
RocketRacer123

When I drag the 'LEGO.JAM' file onto the 'Jam Extractor.exe' file, and then when I open the Jam extractor folder, it then says that the program can't start because python33.dll Is missing from my computer. Please can you help. I would be very grateful. :)

JrMasterModelBuilder

When I drag the 'LEGO.JAM' file onto the 'Jam Extractor.exe' file, and then when I open the Jam extractor folder, it then says that the program can't start because python33.dll Is missing from my computer. Please can you help. I would be very grateful. :)

Make sure you extract the ZIP and keep the EXE next to other files in the extracted folder.

• Like 1

RocketRacer123

Hello there. I'm having a little trouble with getting the screen shots. I can't seem to be able to paste it in this text box. I don't know why. Please can you help.  :(  :(

Hello there. I'm having a little trouble with getting the screen shots. I can't seem to be able to paste it in this text box. I don't know why. Please can you help.  :(  :(

The image must first exist on the internet before you can paste it in the text box.

You must first upload the image to a website.

Like this website -> http://imgur.com/

Then you must get the link to your image

Like this link -> '>

Then you must press the button above the text box

This button -> AHLCEbg.png

Then you enter the link and your image will appear in your post!  :D

<snip>

Bingo!... I think.

Move your JAM extractor to your Lego Racers directory and try it then. Or did you move it to your desktop because "YOU CAN'T MUCK WITH PROGRAM FILES?"

If it's that, then grab python33.dll and dump it on your desktop. Or just move Lego Racers to a completely different location entirely, as you'll probably be doing a lot of compiling and recompiling and things on your desktop get lost.... just like a real desk. :P

Why it isn't working: Python33.dll isn't where your extractor is.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.