grappigegovert

grappigegovert

GHB Recorder
It records ghost paths!

gallery_4344_345_2175.png

The only thing is, it saves as TXT file, not (yet) as GHB file.
So you'll have to copy the contents into 's binary editor.

The readme file in the archive explains how to record a ghost path.
(in short: F2 starts/stops recording)

Many thanks to RobExplorien for explaining the GHB format.

Download:
https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r18/

Changelog:

v1.2

Actual time is now correctly saved

Recording will stop automatically upon finishing the race (don't press F2 after finishing, or it will start a new recording, overwriting the previous one.)
v1.1
Fixed rotation for 2001 version
v1.0
Initial release

Edited by Slimy Slug
Fixed image embed and download link
  • Like 11

*Round of applause*

This is excellent, thank you for making this tool!

The past two days have been awesome for RRU. I can't remember if the GHB files are formatted differently from NPC racer paths, but even if not, could similar programming not be applied to make a recorder for AI paths? Simply jot down the location of the player every so often, and speed could be post-edited or perhaps equated with an algorithm.

grappigegovert

AI paths use a different stucture which isn't completely clear yet,

but I intend to make a recorder for AI paths aswell when the format gets cracked.

• Like 2

I've been waiting for this to happen. Good job! Now we just need a tool that can properly accelerate/decelerate the NPCs... In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can get a twenty-something second lap time on Maga Moon Marathon again.

Fluffy Cupcake

Yes! So much yes! If only we had this before the tournament, then all the top record ghosts could of been saved (if people would be bothered to record almost every time).

Now for AI as others have been saying.

[...] how'd you figure out rotation?

Wait, this can record rotation? Why isn't it recording mine? :

I blame Win8. Racers never worked right on it.

[...] how'd you figure out rotation?

Wait, this can record rotation? Why isn't it recording mine? :

I blame Win8. Racers never worked right on it.

It doesn't? Well, my bad. I didn't test it, I assumed it would. grappigegovert figured out converting the player coördinates to the (calling it) .GHB format and rotation was the other issue still to be figured out.

It isn't Windows 8 then.

grappigegovert

Hmm, the rotation should work...
I guess I was too excited I finally got the rotation working and missed something.
The rotation took a long time to figure out. It's essentially quaternions but stored as an unsigned 8 bit fixed point value.
I asked a friend of mine who is good at maths to convert the rotation from the vector pair to quaternions, and he almost got it when I noticed the quaternions are also stored in memory.
I'll see if I can fix the rotation, but that will be tomorrow then.

grappigegovert

I actually had to go to sleep but I couldn't resist the urge to fix the rotation.
Turns out the 2001 version stores the quaternions in a different memory address. (I'd only tested the 1999 version)
I've uploaded a new version which fixes that problem.

I've also noticed that the time to beat is independent of the path and is not saved correctly.
I guess the time is saved in the first three integers of the GHB file somehow, but I have to figure out how exactly,
so untill I fix that, the time to beat is always the standard time of IGP.

O.T.
Sorry for double-posting
  • Like 3

O.T.

Sorry for double-posting

There's no need to apologise, you made a post that more than contributed to the topic, seeing as you so quickly fixed a bug. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the times being fixed too.

This is so epic, I almost fell from my chair when I saw this. Awesome! *_* Can't wait for the version that can record RRB. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

grappigegovert, drop me a PM/email (preferably email but whatever - it's on my website which is on my profile) and I'll help you integrate my LR1 library code - this means you'll be able to save directly to GHB.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok... this may be a bit too late, but... it doesn't work for me. The window does not display the "STATUS: Waiting for Lego Racers to start" bit, and it crashes/freezes when I launch the game. I pray to all known Gods this won't happen with the RRB recorder :S

EDIT Did some further testing. On my laptop, the program doesn't freeze, and it does display the STATUS correctly , but it starts opening a new pop-up window every second and keeps flooding my screen with them as soon as I start LR. It claims that I'm using an "Unknown version of LEGO Racers exe". My version is the regular 1999 build, though.

As for technical side, my main machine runs on Windows 7, 64 bit, whereas my Laptop uses the 32-bit version.

grappigegovert

Oops, I'm sorry for the window spamming, I hoped that nobody would get that error.
Could you send me a copy of your LEGORacers.exe, so I can take a look at it (and fix the error)?

• 2 years later...
ReflectedMantis

I have not been able to get this to work.. but it will not detect that my game is even running. I tried this on 2 computers. I choose the directory, started the game, started a race, and pressed F2, but it will not record my path. It just keeps saying "Waiting for lego racers to start". What could I be doing wrong?

grappigegovert

Try running the recorder as administrator (right click->run as administrator).
It should detect the game as soon as you launch it.

ReflectedMantis

I got it to work, thanks to you. I wonder why I didn't think of that myself, though. 

This worked perfectly for me.  And now I can't beat  the time trial on imperial grand prix (even though it's mine :blink:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.