Mining on water.

RockRaiderWolf

RockRaiderWolf

When you use a laser to mine a wall that has water in front of it, do the ore and energy crystals that would normally end up on the ground fall under the water and just become un-clickable or do they actually get "deleted"?

and either way the reason I ask is I have been thinking it would be neat to make a mining boat and even have a bit of a design in mind for at least part of it. so is it possible to somehow make a mining boat so that it grabs those resources as they drop or if they aren't deleted it maybe could pick them up from under the water automatically.

Anyone know? Any possibilities?

I assume you mean a Crystal/Ore seam? Yes. Those crystals cannot be gained.

Crystals can float on water however, as is shown with killing a vehicle on water or killing a monster on water that has eaten some crystals.

If you have a normal wall with, say 3 crystals inside it, the crystals can be gained normally.

NOTE TO SELF: The Rapid Rider can carry ONE material by selecting a Rock Raider, telling him to pick something up, then telling him to get in the vehicle.

I'm just checking if they do get deleted if drilled from a seam (that is, using Debug Keys. I know Sire (spelling intentional :P) has a drilling machine that goes on water, and lasers probably won't make a difference...)

Yep, playing Explosive Action and blasting those seams with NumDel puts no crystals anywhere. :( I checked on the radar.

And I do know that crystals do float on water doing the two methods I described earlier (killing a vehicle or killing a monster), because I've done them myself.

I also know that crystals vanish on contact with lava, no matter how they got there.

RockRaiderWolf

I'm just checking if they do get deleted if drilled from a seam (that is, using Debug Keys. I know Sire (spelling intentional :P) has a drilling machine that goes on water, and lasers probably won't make a difference...)

Yep, playing Explosive Action and blasting those seams with NumDel puts no crystals anywhere. :( I checked on the radar.

And I do know that crystals do float on water doing the two methods I described earlier (killing a vehicle or killing a monster), because I've done them myself.

I also know that crystals vanish on contact with lava, no matter how they got there.

Part of my question is despite whether it's hard-coded or not how does the process work. does it automatically delete them as you drill because the game code sees the water. OR does it automatically place them below the water and make them invisible to the radar. the reason I am curious is that on rare occasions on the lava levels, (assuming the lava and water act in similar ways in regards to the deletion) if I have a raider going to pick up a crystal/ore on a plot that is nearly eroded and the timing is right it might erode all the way into lava and just before my raider dies he picks up the crystal/ore. I suppose it could just be some sort of lag but, that is what made me think it might be possible the crystals/ore are still there but maybe the lava/water elevation hides them from the radar which maybe only shows things on the top "layer" of elevation or something like that? maybe that original developer who is working on block raiders has an idea?

does it automatically place them below the water and make them invisible to the radar

Even if they didn't show up on the radar but they were still there, they'd show with an icon when you hovered over them (assuming you knew where they were) OR you wouldn't be able to pick them (as water vehicles cannot be autonomous unless a Tool Store is on the water). You'd need to tell the vehicle manually, and if you couldn't get the cursor to recognise them, you couldn't pick them up.

I suppose it could just be some sort of lag but, that is what made me think it might be possible the crystals/ore are still there but maybe the lava/water elevation hides them from the radar which maybe only shows things on the top "layer" of elevation or something like that?

Nope. Go play Lake of Fire and leave some crystals on the ground.

YES, there is a SLIGHT lag between them appearing and disappearing (as you can briefly see them if you drill a wall that somehow has lava underneath it (again, go play Lake of Fire and DRILL EVERYTHING)), but that lag is just the game working out what to do.

Those crystals are permanently lost unless you have a crystal spawner or something.

If you want to test this:

1) Go to Explosive Action and explode into the cavern blocked by Hard Rock. Thereupon you will see two Crystal Seams. Try and get the crystals out of them.

2) Go to Lake of Fire and drill the walls in the, whatsit, top left? Yep. By the time you get there, one square will be eroded by lava. You will briefly see crystals and then they vanish. OR go to Hot Stuff and wait for the lava to pass one Crystal Seam. Try drilling that by whatever means you think will work.

By my tests, they're permanently lost.

RockRaiderWolf

does it automatically place them below the water and make them invisible to the radar

Even if they didn't show up on the radar but they were still there, they'd show with an icon when you hovered over them (assuming you knew where they were) OR you wouldn't be able to pick them (as water vehicles cannot be autonomous unless a Tool Store is on the water). You'd need to tell the vehicle manually, and if you couldn't get the cursor to recognise them, you couldn't pick them up.

I suppose it could just be some sort of lag but, that is what made me think it might be possible the crystals/ore are still there but maybe the lava/water elevation hides them from the radar which maybe only shows things on the top "layer" of elevation or something like that?

Nope. Go play Lake of Fire and leave some crystals on the ground.

YES, there is a SLIGHT lag between them appearing and disappearing (as you can briefly see them if you drill a wall that somehow has lava underneath it (again, go play Lake of Fire and DRILL EVERYTHING)), but that lag is just the game working out what to do.

Those crystals are permanently lost unless you have a crystal spawner or something.

If you want to test this:

1) Go to Explosive Action and explode into the cavern blocked by Hard Rock. Thereupon you will see two Crystal Seams. Try and get the crystals out of them.

2) Go to Lake of Fire and drill the walls in the, whatsit, top left? Yep. By the time you get there, one square will be eroded by lava. You will briefly see crystals and then they vanish. OR go to Hot Stuff and wait for the lava to pass one Crystal Seam. Try drilling that by whatever means you think will work.

By my tests, they're permanently lost.

Well Darn. 

EDIT: on a possibly related note is it possible to?:

- Create new buildings that can store custom objects.

- Create objects to hold other objects.

- Make vehicles to hold custom objects.

- make "creatures" that hold custom objects? (doubt it)

Edited by RockRaiderWolf

Crystals and ore will not be generated if there are no ground tiles adjacent to the seam. Crystals and ore stored within the wall in the cror map will always have a valid ground tile so those are safe. And I've already made a drilling boat.

>

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.