A game I'm working on: A 3D, multiplayer roguelike (Released on Steam June 23rd, 2015)

Addictgamer

You really should just add automated error log reporting and maybe stat collection. It makes this process so much easier.

MaelstromIslander

By the way, my dad tried to play it with his windows vista computer and it wouldn't work, could you some-how modify it to work for vista?

What was the issue?

Can you post his stderr.txt (it's found in the game's directory)?

The issue is that everytime he hit "Game.exe" it would just re-open the directory instead of running the game, ridiculous, isn't it.

Addictgamer

The issue is that everytime he hit "Game.exe" it would just re-open the directory instead of running the game, ridiculous, isn't it.

What? I have no idea what you mean. Can you elaborate? Maybe screenshot/video?

MisterGryphon

Looks like Minecraft but better. Minecraft could have easily gone this direction but for whatever reason they didn't and it seems to be stuck int a limbo between this and something more realistic. I much prefer this art style.

MaelstromIslander

Looks like Minecraft but better. Minecraft could have easily gone this direction but for whatever reason they didn't and it seems to be stuck int a limbo between this and something more realistic. I much prefer this art style.

Exactly, but everyone calls it a minecraft rip-off when minecraft WASN'T the first to use that style: https://www.google.com/search?q=Infiniminer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Exactly, but everyone calls it a minecraft rip-off when minecraft WASN'T the first to use that style: https://www.google.com/search?q=Infiniminer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

This argument doesn't have much to stand on.  All media derrives inspiration from what came before.  Minecraft - for many reasons - did what its predecessors and successors could not, thus cementing its place as "the" game in the realm of its particular sub-genre.  It has achieved brand recognition, much like Google has for search engines and the iPod for mp3 players.

That said, Barony has a vaguely similar style in terms of its world textures but the comparison pretty much ends there.  The art style is far different, as is the gameplay. 

Addictgamer

That said, Barony has a vaguely similar style in terms of its world textures but the comparison pretty much ends there.  The art style is far different, as is the gameplay.

Yes. Minecraft is a building game. Barony is a dungeoncrawl game. The only similarity is they both have cubes, low resolution models, and low resolution textures.

• Like 1

MaelstromIslander

Yes. Minecraft is a building game. Barony is a dungeoncrawl game. The only similarity is they both have cubes, low resolution models, and low resolution textures.

Do you ever get to the surface? I searched the texture files and found a night sky texture, is that even used? I hope when you mean dungeoncrawl you mean the gameplay genre and not literally a dungeoncrawl.

Addictgamer

The only surface there is is where the game starts. That's the entrance to the dungeon.

The outside world is beyond the scope of this game; it focuses on a dungeon.

MaelstromIslander
The only surface there is is where the game starts. That's the entrance to the dungeon. The outside world is beyond the scope of this game; it focuses on a dungeon.

The start of the game isn't the surface; its inside a stone room, and there is no night sky, so this is an unused texture, correct?

(By the way, the farthest i've gone in the game, i got to a place with dirt and wood, and leaves; whats with that if this is a dungeon?)

Addictgamer

The start of the game isn't the surface; its inside a stone room, and there is no night sky, so this is an unused texture, correct?

That's on the surface. To be more precise, it's a building on the dungeon's entrance.

(By the way, the farthest i've gone in the game, i got to a place with dirt and wood, and leaves; whats with that if this is a dungeon?)

Those are the swamp levels.

MaelstromIslander

well you didn't answer my question about the texture; there is a night-time sky texture called, literally, sky. I also found textures for a 2D troll, 2D lever, and 2D doors, i have no idea what you use these for in the game, please, explain. (I also found a texture for what appears to be a top-down prospective fountain and ladder, along with a gate)

MisterGryphon

I never really said anything about gameplay.

Addictgamer

well you didn't answer my question about the texture; there is a night-time sky texture called, literally, sky. I also found textures for a 2D troll, 2D lever, and 2D doors, i have no idea what you use these for in the game, please, explain. (I also found a texture for what appears to be a top-down prospective fountain and ladder, along with a gate)

:)

I never really said you said anything about gameplay.

I never really said you said that he said anything about the gameplay.

To be serious, my post was addressing your argument that Barony's similarities to Minecraft were justified given that Minecraft took inspiration from other games. I realize you never mentioned the gameplay but I included it to further my own point. Really, I think we both agree that Barony is not a Minecraft "rip-off."

MaelstromIslander

:)

Is that the smile of "You should already know already"? :P anyway, i found out what the sprites were used for, a Level Editor you hid in the directory, because i LOVE creativity, i conned myself into using the editor to make a level called "Citadel", but the night sky texture isn't in the level editor, so i still don't know. :P

(By the way; are trolls even in the game or are they unused? And, is the "Baddy" thing in sprites a goblin?)

MisterGryphon

I never really said you said that he said anything about the gameplay.

To be serious, my post was addressing your argument that Barony's similarities to Minecraft were justified given that Minecraft took inspiration from other games. I realize you never mentioned the gameplay but I included it to further my own point. Really, I think we both agree that Barony is not a Minecraft "rip-off."

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I'm sorry.

MaelstromIslander

I dont think i even ever said i thought it was a rip-off either... because its NOT a rip-off, Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer, and i (think) this was inspired by Minecraft, there is no issue within this. I just dont like how people are saying this is a rip-off when its not a rip-off.

Addictgamer

Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer, and i (think) this was inspired by Minecraft

Minecraft is a building game. Barony is a dungeoncrawl game.

Barony was inspired by System Shock 2, Ultima Underworld, Nethack, and roguelikes in general.

• 2 weeks later...
Addictgamer

Update:

So since the kickstarter didn't kick off, everybody's going to find jobs elsewhere and we're going to have much less time to work on the game. However, we're not stopping here. We're going to continue releasing free alphas on a bimonthly basis for now.

Please tell your friends about Barony and have them check it out :)

Oh, we've also got forums now: http://www.baronygame.com/forums/index.php

Not what we're used to here on RRU, but they're forums nonetheless. Feel free to sign up and liven the place up :)

Thanks for all your support and feedback thus far, guys!

- Addictgamer

--------

Also, I've sent out PMs to everybody I remember offering to help out on the graphical side of the game.

If you're a texturer/pixel artist and interested in contributing, please fire me a PM and we'll talk from there.

Oh, and if you have any prior work or samples you could show, I'd appreciate that.

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

Update:

Oh, we've also got forums now: http://www.baronygame.com/forums/index.php

Not what we're used to here on RRU, but they're forums nonetheless. Feel free to sign up and liven the place up :)

You should have an issues topic so i can post if i have issues with the game. Also are you adding levels every update? :P

Addictgamer

And now we bring a new alpha release!

Obligatory appetizer image:

qLpZqbR.png

In this alpha, just as we promised, we focused on adding content to the game.

* There's several new monsters/NPC races you'll encounter throughout the dungeon.

* That long demanded appraisal skill everybody's been demanding for a long time in their demands! Why are you guys so demanding? ;P

* An identify spell for those wizards out there.

* Some new maps, because.

* Better net code to ensure more packets arrive.

* Obligatory bug fixes, optimizations, improvements, and tweaks.

Grab it here!

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

Downloaded the new version, i like the sound of humans because when i'm lagging to death and trying to fight goblins, i know i have that friendly NPC behind my back.

Anyway, i have now finished my TEXTURE SAMPLES!!! woooohoooooo!!!

gallery_8961_436_5992.png

They're sorta... ice themed a little... i should have made the glacier more brighter because it kinda looks like water. I'm also going to use these textures for the Icy Cavern mod i'm making for Barony.

Fluffy Cupcake

@MaelstromIslander; Why do those just look like recolored minecraft textures?

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

@MaelstromIslander; Why do those just look like recolored minecraft textures?

I used them as templates, is that a problem? (Also, the first one, the glacier, is actually custom made by me and i didn't use any templates)

• lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.