Lego should make more Creator Games

LEGOCyborg12

Hrmmmmmmm... Lego Ro... No... Umm... Lego...   ...Rock Raiders creator would be cool?...  I don't know. Also, just to say the suggestions you've made don't have to be done and be an official release by Lego, any person can make an unofficial one (if they have the time, applications/programs, and also the sets). It may also need to be a digital download, especially if it becomes an unofficial game.

But yeah, Lego should make more...

I think many people on this forum would agree that LEGO should make more any-kind-of-games other than TT ones. But they won't.

LEGO games, both now and back when they were produced under LEGO Media, had to be made quickly in order to be released alongside new themes, particularly as LEGO sets generally don't last long enough to make a decent game before they are discontinued. It costs money too to make a game, and games like LEGO Racers, Rock Raiders and Creator were all produced from different companies, so as far as I know there was little-to-no sharing of assets between developers.

Along comes TT games and produces something that people love, LEGO Star Wars. They then produce its sequel to complete the series. Suddenly it becomes apparent that people will continue to buy TT-produced LEGO games no matter what, and TT can reuse assets from previous games to make the development of their next game easier/faster/cheaper. LEGO has found a win-win developer who can both pump out games quickly and cheaply, while still making a large amount of money because people just keep buying them.

I doubt LEGO sees any need to invest more money in other games as a result, especially if they want to avoid the near-bankruptcy they experienced before. Of course we have the exceptions such as LEGO Universe, although that didn't do so well, and LEGO Minifgures online. But that again looks very similar to LEGO Universe, so who knows? Maybe we'll see LEGO MMOGs lined out just as fast as TT games. I certainly hope not.

TL;DR? Shame. :P

• Like 2

Maybe we'll see LEGO MMOGs lined out just as fast as TT games. I certainly hope not.

As long as they aren't as formulaic as the TT games, which Universe and Minifigures don't appear to be. 

Honestly, I'd be content if LDD had even a small, basic play around mode like LC1 did.

I can get my fix of building random things in Digital Designer, seeing as it's essentially an improved Creator build mode with nearly all bricks, but I really miss the charm of watching those creations run around and do things.

While I'd welcome a Creator 2, I like LDD's build mode so much, I kind of wish it would just be an add-on to that, even if it was just the basic features ported over from creator, such as moving minifigures and Drivable/Flyable vehicles. While I'd be more than happy with just that, part of me would really like to see a full-blown sequel that takes advantage of what is possible to do now. More detailed environments of a larger variety, weather, boats, spaceships and other misc. vehicles... It'd be great fun.

Quisoves Potoo

While a modern day Creator would be wonderful, I doubt LEGO has much motivation for doing so after the way most players treated the LEGO Universe building system. Admittedly, the building system was far from perfect, but most players did not seem to have the patience or skill to even create a decent facade. Most properties, if they had anything, consisted largely of pre-built models and a few shoddy originals. They didn't need to be this way. Properties like Flambridge's Dragon Knights  Castle and SamuraiMaster's Knight's Tournament demonstrated what could be done with raw building, and the behaviors system allowed for far more complexity than I ever saw it used for. Might players have been more patient had LEGO Universe only consisted of properties? Perhaps. However, they had pre-made worlds and quests and battles to claim their attention. The same goes for the videogame market: LEGO can make much more money from a game in whose world the player merely participates than from a game in which the player makes worlds.

• Like 2

lol username

and LEGO Minifgures online. But that again looks very similar to LEGO Universe

Minifigures isn't even remotely similar to Universe. It's actually quite unique, as far as LEGO games go - I wouldn't even call it similar to Chima Online.

Regarding LU - the game was focused on a demographic/age group that, by and large, neither had the skill to do much with properties or the patience to deal with finite bricks/running across the whole darn universe to buy that one piece from a vendor. From what I saw, most AFOLs who would have liked the interactive building/sandbox were turned away by it being tied to a game and having a subscription requirement. Add in the fact that LU properties were glitchy as hell (breathing on a property too harshly could lead to losing work or even corrupting the whole thing and making the property unusable, and even basic things like rotating hinges ended up not working at points)... Yeah, it's not a big mystery as to why it didn't catch on with much of the LEGO community.

There's a lot more I could talk about on the subject, but I >already have.

• 3 years later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

If a dedicated group of fans were capable of acquiring the rights to make their own Lego Creator game, then I think it would be great if they could make it an online community driven version with many different Lego themes, more creative tools that are more user friendly, and provide a full sandbox mode to explore and play in your own created world. It should also have the Creator Wizard return as your mentor and provide some lessons on how to create, build, play and share your creations to become an official Lego Creator wizard. It would be a very ambitious project no doubt, so it would have to be done by a large team of hard working fans to bring it to life. Although, considering this is pretty much covering a large proportion of Lego's IPs, it probably wouldn't be given approval by the company that easily even if its non profitable.

f a dedicated group of fans were capable of acquiring the rights to make their own Lego Creator game, then I think it would be great if they could make it an online community driven version with many different Lego themes, more creative tools that are more user friendly, and provide a full sandbox mode to explore and play in your own created world. It should also have the Creator Wizard return as your mentor and provide some lessons on how to create, build, play and share your creations to become an official Lego Creator wizard. It would be a very ambitious project no doubt, so it would have to be done by a large team of hard working fans to bring it to life. Although, considering this is pretty much covering a large proportion of Lego's IPs, it probably wouldn't be given approval by the company that easily even if its non profitable.

Doesn't Lego Worlds cover something like this? I have not played the game myself but from the outside looking in and without the external franchises like LOTR, Batman, Star Wars, etc. , it pretty much looks like the game you are describing.

• 4 weeks later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

I see what you mean. Maybe I should get back into revisiting Lego Worlds before considering how a Lego Creator reboot would even stand out.

So I just joined after hearing the latest Bits and Bricks episode. Super glad to learn about this community. So here’s my little rant. Previous game titles have been fun and provided lots of play, but my issue is they aren’t inherently Lego. If you reskin any previous game, especially the TT games, the game loses all reference to Lego. To me the fundamental aspect of what make Lego what it is, is Building. Lego racers kind of had building but with limited function.

Since I’m new here, I’m not sure my way around yet, but I know from the B&B interview, I realized I’m going down the same path as Simon. Studio->Blender->Unreal. My take on it is slightly different. My goal is to create a massive procedurally generated world that I can then build MOC’s or official Lego sets to explore. I want to create outposts and dig and explore caves and even eventually fly into space. Big picture stuff is Minecraft/GTA/Space Engineers kinda vibe all around the concept of free building that is a hallmark of Lego bricks. I have a long way to go but so far it is fun bringing my Lego alive while I test stuff.

https://youtu.be/poDl-Wybfug
https://youtu.be/HyztyoG_wo8

• 1 year later...
Cyberbrickmaster86
On 7/15/2021 at 12:57 AM, Raven319s said:

So I just joined after hearing the latest Bits and Bricks episode. Super glad to learn about this community. So here’s my little rant. Previous game titles have been fun and provided lots of play, but my issue is they aren’t inherently Lego. If you reskin any previous game, especially the TT games, the game loses all reference to Lego. To me the fundamental aspect of what make Lego what it is, is Building. Lego racers kind of had building but with limited function.

Since I’m new here, I’m not sure my way around yet, but I know from the B&B interview, I realized I’m going down the same path as Simon. Studio->Blender->Unreal. My take on it is slightly different. My goal is to create a massive procedurally generated world that I can then build MOC’s or official Lego sets to explore. I want to create outposts and dig and explore caves and even eventually fly into space. Big picture stuff is Minecraft/GTA/Space Engineers kinda vibe all around the concept of free building that is a hallmark of Lego bricks. I have a long way to go but so far it is fun bringing my Lego alive while I test stuff.

https://youtu.be/poDl-Wybfug
https://youtu.be/HyztyoG_wo8

As SieTLG3651 reminded me, such a game actually does kind of exist called Lego Worlds. But I'm willing to bet you don't find it good enough, so I wish you luck on making something that will hopefully blow it out of the park.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.