Obscure LEGO Merchandise

Sadie Meowsalot

I have a Vakama Colgate toothbrush that isn't listed on here.

It is probably sitting in the rubbish dump though: all I can remember is that it was crimson and that Vakama's mask was included, but I'm not sure if the mask could be taken off the head of the toothbrush.

I also have a Bionicle Card Game. The objective seems to be "build the Toa Nuva," and it's 2-player. The rules were never informative in the first place anyway.

I think I know where it is.

I also have a Rock Raiders poster. It's quite large, and it's cloth and almost certainly a store promotional poster. I know where it is and I can get pictures (but not yet; it's at our holiday bach which we visit about weekly).

How many of these are rare? l405G.jpg

JrMasterModelBuilder

I also have a Bionicle Card Game. The objective seems to be "build the Toa Nuva," and it's 2-player. The rules were never informative in the first place anyway.

This isn't rare AFAIK. I have all 3 versions of it. The gameplay sucks. I don't remember exactly how to play, but I recall there being only 3 cards that did anyting but advance a player by 1 (possibly a take-another-turn card?). Said cards would basically flip-flop the person who is in the lead a few times. Because of this, whoever went first had a significantly higher chance of winning, and there was basically nothing you could do to improve your chances of winning. I suppose you are supposed to take apart and re-assemble you're Toa Nuva while playing, but I never did. Unless I missed something, it was definitely the worst of the 3 card game series, and I thought the second series was problematic. I had fun playing the first series though.

• Like 2

The Ace Railgun

I have a Lego Jaiko's sword. From Knights Kingdom. I recently made a video about it, but I don't know if it is obscure or not, because I don't know how I got it. I only know I have it.

">

That's a different card game, Ace. There's actually two incarnations of that - first is the original Toa vs. Rahi, with challenges from the comics. They came in double decks (as well as packs), I believe. There's a separate set which doesn't really fit with the previous version using Bohrok. I have that one as well as a pack from the first. The loose pack stuff may be rare - there's definitely a card from it that was rare and holographic, but since there isn't a market for that stuff I can't really determine its rarity.

The Toa Nuva building one is not one I'm familiar with, but my friend had it...scattered all over the place. When he gave/traded me all his Yugioh cards there were a bunch mixed in. I honestly have no idea how to play the game, since I have neither the rules nor a complete deck.

On the topic of BIONICLE [board] games - I have Quest for Makuta, Mask of Light, and a Piraka game. Quest for Makuta is actually pretty fun. Definitely not rare, though.

• Like 2

JrMasterModelBuilder

That's a different card game, Ace. There's actually two incarnations of that - first is the original Toa vs. Rahi, with challenges from the comics. They came in double decks (as well as packs), I believe. There's a separate set which doesn't really fit with the previous version using Bohrok. I have that one as well as a pack from the first. The loose pack stuff may be rare - there's definitely a card from it that was rare and holographic, but since there isn't a market for that stuff I can't really determine its rarity.

The Toa Nuva building one is not one I'm familiar with, but my friend had it...scattered all over the place. When he gave/traded me all his Yugioh cards there were a bunch mixed in. I honestly have no idea how to play the game, since I have neither the rules nor a complete deck.

On the topic of BIONICLE [board] games - I have Quest for Makuta, Mask of Light, and a Piraka game. Quest for Makuta is actually pretty fun. Definitely not rare, though.

How is the Mask of Light board game? I never got that one.

Quest for Makuta is actually pretty fun.

well yes, up to the point where you get 2x Pakaris l405G.jpg or you stuff a Rank 7 Nui-Rama by accident on the blocking square at the beginning l405G.jpg.

To be fair, it's a lot more original than most of the Lego Games (which nevertheless I have a whole stack of, but that's not what's this topic's for).

I honestly have no idea how to play the game, since I have neither the rules nor a complete deck.

We have the rules.

They're useless. l405G.jpg I'm not even certain if we have the gameboard.

All of you: "I went to Legoland and got this as well as this, it's rather rare"

Me: "There's no Legoland in NZ D:" l405G.jpg

How is the Mask of Light board game? I never got that one.

The original Quest for the Masks card game has a pretty interesting story, actually.

It launched with the theme decks (two Toa per deck) and standard booster packs. Depending on the foil card you have, it may be rare - but not worth much, as there are only a handful of collectors out there (myself included). Later in the year expansion packs were launched that added a new element to the game, Rahi Challenge. It added a level of challenge that I appreciate, there are a lot of new factors that you have to take into account and the game can go in different directions.

The original plan was to launch a set of expansion decks and packs for the Bohrok in 2002 - they would've been titled quite simply 'Bohrok Swarm.' But I think sales on the game weren't meeting expectations, so Upper Deck cut the packs off and repacked the expansion decks as a standalone game to attract more buyers. The Bohrok expansion packs would have had story cards like the original booster packs, with original art telling a story about the characters. The art and text for these was printed into a story booklet in the Bohrok decks when the packs were cancelled. After that, they threw out the (already established as lame) Toa Nuva Reconstruct and that was the end of that.

The Mask of Light board game isn't really anything to write home about - for starters, it reuses excess inventory from Quest for Makuta - namely the character pawns and dice. So the Toa Nuva are represented by images of the original Toa, and there is a third die included that is not used in the gameplay at all.

The gameplay is weird and doesn't really flow well. You 'play' as one of the Toa Nuva, but they are stationary in their village the entire time. You can only move Takua or the Rahkshi. Basically the goal is to get Rahkshi to attack your opponents' villages to rob them of Matoran - whoever has the most Matoran by the end of the game wins. But since it is all based on chance it doesn't work out well. You may roll too low or too high and not be able to do anything with a Rahkshi. Your opponent is just as likely to beat the Rahkshi as they are to be beaten by it - in which case, they gain a Matoran. So basically it is everyone sitting around rolling dice to determine how many points they get, until Takua's pawn has reached the Kini-Nui. At this point, a couple of Matoran have been placed at the temple from when a Rahkshi/Toa battle ended in a draw. Whoever beats Makuta (again, by complete chance, no strategy) gets these Matoran as a boost, essentially securing their victory.

Quest for Makuta is a lot more fun, even if it is far from perfect itself.

• Like 2

The Mask of Light game is pretty uninteresting. The card game is pretty fun, though. I haven't played the original, but the Bohrok set I got was fun. I've long since lost the map, unfortunately.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Later in the year expansion packs were launched that added a new element to the game, Rahi Challenge. It added a level of challenge that I appreciate, there are a lot of new factors that you have to take into account and the game can go in different directions.

The original plan was to launch a set of expansion decks and packs for the Bohrok in 2002 - they would've been titled quite simply 'Bohrok Swarm.' But I think sales on the game weren't meeting expectations, so Upper Deck cut the packs off and repacked the expansion decks as a standalone game to attract more buyers. The Bohrok expansion packs would have had story cards like the original booster packs, with original art telling a story about the characters. The art and text for these was printed into a story booklet in the Bohrok decks when the packs were cancelled.

Thanks for the Maks of Light game review! I always wondered and I thought it would be better.

What were the Rahi Challenge expansions like?

I think the Bohrok Swarm version would have been better as an expansion. I seem to recall reading in the booklets there were supposed to be expansions for the Bohrok Swarm card game, something I assume never existed. Maybe I'm wrong. I kind-of want to dig this stuff out now.

The Mask of Light game is pretty uninteresting. The card game is pretty fun, though. I haven't played the original, but the Bohrok set I got was fun. I've long since lost the map, unfortunately.

Sounds like you had more fun with it than me. I found the Bohrok Swarm version frustrating, at least in comparison to the first series. Box design was nicer though.

What were the Rahi Challenge expansions like?

I think the Bohrok Swarm version would have been better as an expansion. I seem to recall reading in the booklets there were supposed to be expansions for the Bohrok Swarm card game, something I assume never existed. Maybe I'm wrong. I kind-of want to dig this stuff out now.

The decks were composed of a certain ratio of different types of cards - I would check, but I don't have access to my QFTM collection right now. Suffice to say that the majority of the cards in a pack were new Mission/Game Action/Great Mask Challenge etc. cards, that expanded and diversified gameplay possibilities just as the cards exclusive to the booster packs did.

Then there were the actual Rahi Challenge cards, which were divided into three categories: Rahi, Challenge, and Effect. You had to have one of each in order to attack the opposing player with a Rahi. The Rahi card determines what Rahi you attack with, and by extension what skill (speed, flight, etc.) your Rahi attacks with. The Challenge card determines what the Rahi's strength in that skill is. The Effect card determines what happens if your Rahi is victorious - your opponent loses some turns or some cards or something of that sort. It's like the function of the Bohrok in Bohrok Swarm, but more layered and complex as far as probability and potential outcomes.

I think the expansions you're thinking of are the Bohrok Swarm booster packs? Those were never released, but they were planned and advertised in the BIONICLE comic back when the whole thing was still a Quest for the Masks expansion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.