dead_name

I present for your pleasure, MipCreator!

This is a command-line tool to convert images into MIP format.

Supported input formats are BMP, GIF (non-animated), JPG, PNG

Usage:

MipCreator.exe C:/path/to/input/image.png C:/another/image/etc.png "C:/paths with spaces/need quotation marks.png"

or you can convert images by right-clicking them, using "Open With.." and selecting MipCreator.

An input file "foo.png" will give an output file of "foo.mip".

REQUIRES .NET FRAMEWORK 4.

Version 1.0.5337.31927 (LATEST): LINK

All builds:

Version 1.0.5337.31927: LINK

Changelog

(2014-08-12) v1.0.5337.31927

> Initial version.

• Like 10

• 3 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

This tool doesn't work well with oversized textures.

Example: The default size for a minifigure's body is 64x64. This tool will work fine with that. But if I make a 256x256 minifigure body, it will appear 100% transparent with nothing in sight in the game. Manually renaming a file from .tga to .MIP works fine, so I know the game can handle that size.

• 2 weeks later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Ingore what I said above, this happens with all materials, regardless of size. Looks like you've got a few bugs to squish out. ;)

With your converter:

G8wblcr.png

Without MIP Creator:

nhG90YJ.png

I'd like to use your converter, but I can't in its current state.

• 2 months later...

This tool doesn't work well with oversized textures. Example: The default size for a minifigure's body is 64x64. This tool will work fine with that. But if I make a 256x256 minifigure body, it will appear 100% transparent with nothing in sight in the game. Manually renaming a file from .tga to .MIP works fine, so I know the game can handle that size.

There's an easy way of fixing this: just change the file's extension to TGA, and open the game. The game will create the MIP for you, and it will not have any sort of glitching. :)

• 2 years later...

So how would one convert the mip to a bmp image? I wanna do some texture editing but can't do it with the proper tools since I'm using an old laptop

20 minutes ago, Sunchipp said:

So how would one convert the mip to a bmp image? I wanna do some texture editing but can't do it with the proper tools since I'm using an old laptop

Like, you want to convert an original MIP from the game into a format you can edit?

Well, LR2's MIPs are basically modified TGAs (TGAs with additional mipmap data). Some programs that can load TGAs can load MIPs, others get confused by the differences.

Try using SageThumbs: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/ It can let you preview MIPs when viewing a folder, and can convert them to PNGs or other formats just by right clicking on them:

oPTjVFf.png

Note that you'll have to add "mip" to the custom file types in its options for it to work:

X2LsnAE.png

To get your custom textures in the game, simply save them as standard TGA files, the game works with those just as well as MIPs.

How would I convert the mip to a tga file so I could actually use this...thing... I've downloaded this expecting it was gonna be an actual program ???

You don't need to convert a MIP to a TGA, you don't even need to use the program this topic is discussing (in fact you may not want to, since it apparently doesn't work 100% correctly).

Just do this:

1. Convert MIPs to PNGs with SageThumbs
  2. Edit the PNGs however you like
  3. Save your new textures as a TGA
  4. Rename your new textures from .TGA to .MIP and put them in the place of the original MIP files

(Or, if Shadowblaze is correct, you can skip the last step and the game will create a MIP file out of it, but that'd probably require a) the game running on extracted data, which I've never gotten to work, and b) making sure the original MIP file is removed so the game can put the new one in its place)

I have yes but my laptop doesn't convert files just by renaming it (for me it only works if I edit it as a bmp image). If anything if there's a program to convert the files back to the original that would help out a lot. I am sadly stuck on Windows Vista (yeah I'm old school but my other computers and laptops stopped working) I'll see if someone has any information on that

No files get converted by renaming them... For example, a Word document renamed to an MP3 will not make the Word document into an MP3 file.

28 minutes ago, Sunchipp said:

I have yes but my laptop doesn't convert files just by renaming it (for me it only works if I edit it as a bmp image). If anything if there's a program to convert the files back to the original that would help out a lot. I am sadly stuck on Windows Vista (yeah I'm old school but my other computers and laptops stopped working) I'll see if someone has any information on that

... So you're renaming BMP files to MIP? That's not gonna work; it's still a BMP file, just with a MIP extension. The game can't load BMP files.

You need to save your textures as TGA and rename them to MIP. They will still be TGA files, simply with .MIP at the end instead of .TGA. But the game is capable of loading TGA files, so it works.

These are BMP files renamed to MIP. The game can't load BMP files.

Also, your face textures are 64x65. They should be 64x64. If you want higher res textures, you can also use 128, 256, 512, etc for the height and/or width. Just as long as they're powers of two.

Save your textures as TGA instead of BMP. I recommend using paint.net, as said earlier. While saving as TGA, make sure compression is off, as shown here.

I cropped your face textures to 64x64 and resaved everything as TGA (except the pants, which were already just a MIP from elsewhere in the game). I also hex edited the hat model to use COL_WHITE instead of COL_BLUE. This is what it looks like:

VQ3LAr7.png

Thats awesome and thank you.

I tried installing paint.net a while back but it's too new for my laptop. If anything if there's an on-line converter let me know. I'll search as well . I like that a lot but by the looks of it I forgot about the rest of the Torso ??? I'll keep searching in case if I find a converter and for some reason the MIP creator command prompt crashes on me every time I use it (as well as the model viewer)

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.