MEGA BLOKS now has SpongeBob

Drill Master

Drill Master

So I was browsing my local Meijer today, and I went to the LEGO isle just to see what they had. After a bit, I shuffled down to the end of the isle where the MEGA BLOKS were looking for any new Halo sets. I then was getting ready to leave when something caught my eye. 

These are what I saw.

gallery_4309_262_935008.jpg

gallery_4309_262_1572481.jpg

Now, if I recall correctly, LEGO had the rights to SpongeBob, and seeing how they are still partnering with Nickelodeon for TMNT sets, I'm assuming that they just dropped the theme as it had came and went rather quickly?

I just thought I'd share my findings.

(And I'm still on my away-cation from RRU while I work on my concert piece, I just thought this was something to talk about.)

By all means, let Mega Blocks have the contract. It fits perfectly with their Halo and CoD lines. I hated seeing those LEGO spongebob sets as much as LEGO simpsons anything. I did not feel it was good LEGO line anyway, and it must not have been successful considering how few sets they made.

O.T.
Firefox spell check is trying to capitalize simpsons. OH NO YOU DON'T.
  • Like 2

lol username

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/29w5q7/exo_suit_side_by_side_original_submission_vs/cippydc?context=3

"How did you become the lucky one to work on this Mech?!"

"I asked for it once it hit 10,000 votes. Some other Designers had said it wasn't possible to make it a set. I disagreed!"

"great to hear this :) i figured a scene where LEGO executive were to choose the designer for the job and all the designer where in line like in an execution, nobody wanting to take up the job, and the executives walked slowly in front of them staring at each one :P"

"That was kinda how the Spongebob sets were allocated!"

(Lego_Nabii = Mark Stafford, a LEGO set designer)

Oh dear goodness, my instant reaction wasn't "This has gone from LEGO to MEGA BLOKS", but rather "MEGA BLOKS has made it so much more aggressive". Just compare the faces of the characters to the LEGO ones, for example.

Okay, so 'aggressive' may be a bit of an exaggeration, but they certainly contrast from LEGO's happy smiley faces. Why is Spongebob so devilishly keen to catch those jellyfish without wearing his seatbelt?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/29w5q7/exo_suit_side_by_side_original_submission_vs/cippydc?context=3

"How did you become the lucky one to work on this Mech?!"

"I asked for it once it hit 10,000 votes. Some other Designers had said it wasn't possible to make it a set. I disagreed!"

"great to hear this :) i figured a scene where LEGO executive were to choose the designer for the job and all the designer where in line like in an execution, nobody wanting to take up the job, and the executives walked slowly in front of them staring at each one :P"

"That was kinda how the Spongebob sets were allocated!"

(Lego_Nabii = Mark Stafford, a LEGO set designer)

I wonder if it was also like this for the Simpsons.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
PlatonicWaffles

Ugh. I thought the old SpongeBob sets looked at least somewhat decent, but right off of the bat, the figures made me shudder. The quality of them looks really cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
MaelstromIslander

Even though i got spongebob's pineapple and i'm a big fan of spongebob, the LEGO Spongebob figures were crap, and i wanted the minfigures to be modified to actually look like the characters.

However, if this is LEGO's answer to that, then okay then. LEGO is obviously the worst person to have Spongebob license.

I'm deffinetely buying this stuff. (Plus, those sets have some actual taste unlike the LEGO ones.)

(Plus, those sets have some actual taste unlike the LEGO ones.)

You mean... if I lick Spongebob's house, it will taste like a real pineapple!? :D

MaelstromIslander

(Plus, those sets have some actual taste unlike the LEGO ones.)

You mean... if I lick Spongebob's house, it will taste like a real pineapple!? :D

yes i cant beleive you didnt know already

When i say taste, i mean they're actually interesting. Patrick's viking boat for example, you would've NEVER seen that as a LEGO set.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.