[Open source] LEGO Racers Online + LEGO Racers API

Hoithebest

Is there any way to open the project through the Xamarin Studio? I'm not able to use VS at the moment.

UPD: It seems like everything opened successfully despite the fact that there is a couple of bad things. :P

UPD2: Yep. Fortunately, now all is OK.

A dream has come true! Expect some messing around in livestreams soon :P

Even though I'm not a good programmer, I know some people will be able to help a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

It's quite dead here, isn't it?

It crashes my game on startup unfortunatly, I'd investigate, but I'm too loaded down with other work at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
grappigegovert

developing on this project is sometimes a pain in the ass

I now know what you mean by that :|
Initially I wanted to just test this real quick, but I ended up editing a lot of code, and now I don't have time anymore.
I guess I'll do the testing some other time then :blink:

• 3 months later...

Curious as I am, I decided to run the application as it is now. Building in Visual Studio went fine (and fast :) )I came across the following:

When not running the Client as administrator, it asks you to restart the Client as an administrator. Pretty nice.

When running the Client as administrator, I get a bit further. It asks me to start Lego Racers so it can check a few installation details. When not starting Lego Racers as administrator on my Windows 8 laptop, I get the error from Microsoft .NET:  A ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was not fully completed. (or something like that). When running both Client and Lego Racers as administrator, as I should have done in the first place, the Client gives an error saying "Couldn't find the Client" and copies a MD5 hash into my clipboard. What to do with that?

grappigegovert

I don't really understand why you got that first error, because it should work even if the game is run as non-administrator, and in this first-run setup wizard it shouldn't even use Read/WriteProcessMemory.
The second error suggests you are using a version of LR that we haven't seen yet.
Could you run this tool and paste the output of it here?

LegoRacers.exe:
    5683f89bfe8cb19e64ebd83d501f4f12
    987222 bytes
    25/04/2015 07:40:50

LegoRacers.icd:
    not found

LEGO.JAM:
    9ec6b4c3334d66a1563e8930f304701f
    19639466 bytes
    29/04/2015 18:43:43

GolDP.dll:
    e682063553de779579bf47b5e9bc5b1e
    413696 bytes
    12/01/2001 13:46:12

Oops, I forgot that I am a) having a patch version for versus mode without a controller and b) having a Rocket Racer Red Run mod for Circuit 7. I am going to replace the above files with the original ones and try again. I do know that the MD5 hash the Client copied to my clipboard is exactly that second line number under LegoRacers.exe.

Sorry, stupid mistake. I will try to pay more attention from now on. :)  Pretty nice tool, though.

I'll let you know about the problems I face next, and hope those are no stupid mistakes of me as well.

Checksum for the original game install:

LegoRacers.exe:
    325cbbedc9d745107bca4a8654fce4db
    987222 bytes
    12/01/2001 13:53:28

LegoRacers.icd:
    not found

LEGO.JAM:
    d1a82a99ea4962d6d84f691db5f93550
    19642024 bytes
    02/11/1999 10:32:36 --> thought this was edited since for the rerelease?

GolDP.dll:
    e682063553de779579bf47b5e9bc5b1e
    413696 bytes
    12/01/2001 13:46:12

When checking this thing;  it was interesting that when -novideo was not added to the shortcut, I got the .NET error again, when adding it, I get to indentify successfully.

So, server address?

Edited by TheChief

grappigegovert

thought this was edited since for the rerelease?

It is edited. The 1999 version has a timestamp of 23/7/1999. See http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/5509-lego-racers-different-released-versions-the-definitive-list/

So, server address?

​You will need to run your own server.
When you build / start the server, you can connect with a client on the same computer by using localhost as server address.
Then, on a different computer, enter the local IP of the server if it's on the same network, or the public IP if it's not. (Although you will need to forward some ports when using the public IP)
To be honest, I don't even know if it will work, as I haven't tested it myself.

I will look into the .NET error when I have more time. (I'm a little busy with exams right now)

JrMasterModelBuilder

Just a suggestion, in case this is still being developed. For problems such as these:

Oops, I forgot that I am a) having a patch version for versus mode without a controller and b) having a Rocket Racer Red Run mod for Circuit 7. I am going to replace the above files with the original ones and try again. I do know that the MD5 hash the Client copied to my clipboard is exactly that second line number under LegoRacers.exe.

Maybe there could be an option to force it to use a specific version profile and ignore the hashes. For example, decrypted 1999 DRM versions would probably fail the hash check.

• 6 months later...

Is this still in active development?

It might be according to recent GitHub activity

If you consider 3 months ago to be "recent". All of the commits are on September 9th, there's nothing more recent.

Is this still in active development?

It might be according to recent GitHub activity

If you consider 3 months ago to be "recent". All of the commits are on September 9th, there's nothing more recent.

I'm glad you're satisfied with answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh it's so good to see there are still people who like this game :D

Actually it is my long time dream to remake this gem. I mean fully remake (like openlierox did with liero), but i'm still pretty novice at programming :\. So kudos to all of you that's all I'm saying.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sorry to announce this, but nobody is working on this project at the moment. I actually tried to dive into this project a few months ago (September), but I'm not satisfied with the code quality I made a year and a half ago.

What I am considering is to rebuild the server and client from scratch and just use a console application. But hey, who doesn't say stuff that's eventually never going to happen? :(

22 hours ago, Hoithebest said:

I'm sorry to announce this, but nobody is working on this project at the moment. I actually tried to dive into this project a few months ago (September), but I'm not satisfied with the code quality I made a year and a half ago.

What I am considering is to rebuild the server and client from scratch and just use a console application. But hey, who doesn't say stuff that's eventually never going to happen? :(

Thats a shame about your code :( Best of luck if you decide to go ahead with rebuilding :) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.