Will's Modding Extravaganza

dead_name

Yo I'm just gonna dump info here, cool? k.

Chunks are 32x32 studs ( see here: https://i.imgur.com/fNiSMfF.jpg )

The game spawns you at chunk 2000 in each of X and Z, so the map is implied to be 4000x4000 chunks. Actually it's 65536x65536.

The game gets unstable if you travel more than about 2000 chunks from spawn.

The chunk filenames are 32-bit integers. Each axis is 16 bits, interleaved. That is to say, the bits are XZXZXZXZ rather than XXXXZZZZ.

The game saves any modified chunks, as well as whatever was in memory when you quit. This means it'll load the area around you quickly when you load up the game again. Unmodified chunks that are unloaded from memory don't get saved, and are simply re-generated from the seed each time they're needed.

Edited by WillKirkby

Hmm. Interesting... Does anyone land generate beyond the borders of the world or is it an empty void/plain/whatever? I ask because I don't own the game myself.

My bad, I phrased it badly. If the game tries to generate a chunk of terrain outside of the map bounds, it will crash. Since the game only generates chunks around the player's position, this only happens if you make your way to the edge of the world.

That's exactly what it is. I reverse-engineered the chunk format and rendered that. It's still a bit buggy and the code needs some serious cleanup, but it's progress :)

Great work so far, Will. Is it one-stud-one-pixel in size? If so, that'd be a great tool for use with LEGO Worlds.

Great work so far, Will. Is it one-stud-one-pixel in size? If so, that'd be a great tool for use with LEGO Worlds.

​I can imagine using that as a way of finding your way back. Just build some landmarks out of contrasting colors on the map and use the map as a reference for where you are when you come near one. :D

Update with new info:

Chunks range from 0 to 65535. Outside that range they simply don't spawn. Physics gets a bit funky outside that range.
World units use a scale of 1 unit = 100mm, assuming 1 stud = 8mm. Chunk 2000,2000 is used as the origin for these world units, and is also the typical spawn location for a new world.
Thanks to floating-point imprecision, rendering and physics get increasingly unstable the further you head from spawn. This can be seen in the Farlands videos here.

• Like 1

Update with new info:

Chunks range from 0 to 65535. Outside that range they simply don't spawn. Physics gets a bit funky outside that range.
World units use a scale of 1 unit = 100mm, assuming 1 stud = 8mm. Chunk 2000,2000 is used as the origin for these world units, and is also the typical spawn location for a new world.
Thanks to floating-point imprecision, rendering and physics get increasingly unstable the further you head from spawn. This can be seen in the Farlands videos here.

​Wow, that's a much larger world size than I previously thought the worlds were! Maybe I should start a Far Lands or Bust series for Lego Worlds. :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

I wouldn't recommend it. The game gets very unstable and crashes after a minute or two if you start going past chunk ~4000.

Fluffy Cupcake

I wouldn't recommend it. The game gets very unstable--

What, and Minecraft doesn't get all weird at the world's end? :P

The crashing part on the other hand though, that doesn't happen in MC.

I wouldn't recommend it. The game gets very unstable--

What, and Minecraft doesn't get all weird at the world's end? :P

The crashing part on the other hand though, that doesn't happen in MC.

​Actually, the Minecraft Far Lands (but not some of the odd redstone and graphical bugs) were accidentally fixed in the Adventure Update (Beta 1.8), and a shiny, transparent, blue "world border" was added in the recently released 1.8, the Bountiful Update, preventing players from travelling anywhere near the point where things start getting buggy, though you can easily expand or shrink the world border using in-game creative mode commands. The game is still pretty weird at the crazy far distances. At one point (at least pre-1.8), fake chunks would start to generate at some point in the millions or billions of blocks from X:0,Y:0, and trying to walk on them would cause you to fall through them into the void and die. And trying to fly to a crazy insane distance (somewhere in the billions or maybe even trillions and beyond), the game will not even generate chunks whatsoever anymore and will get crazy laggy and crash on any computer. My suggestion for a "Far Lands of Bust" series was actually based off of the Minecraft series by Kurtjmac of the same name.

I play a lot of Minecraft. :P

Fluffy Cupcake

I'm aware of the update that fixed it, that's why Kurtjmac still plays in the older version for the series. I've actually watched Kurtjmac's Far Lands Or Bust Series since the very beginning before it got popular, but after I stopped caring about Minecraft I unsubbed all the MC people I was subbed to. Anyway, we should get back on topic now.

Very good to know about the interleaving, probably saved me a lot of time reading about it.

Looking forwards to see if one can point out a chunk using location coordinates. Perhaps that'll be useful to save chunks separately or regenerate chunks with building failures.

Fluffy Cupcake

Looking forwards to see if one can point out a chunk using location coordinates.

Coordinates ÷ 32?

Looking forwards to see if one can point out a chunk using location coordinates.

Coordinates ÷ 32?

​not quite. too tired to give the exact math right now, remind me to update this post later.

• 1 month later...

"And as LU closed, the lands began to freeze, until the chunks of worlds were merely nothing but a cloth of white stretching into the distance...

Then a new light dawned upon these lands, as a small plane flew across, rediscovering the worlds for all to see...

The Universe can come together..."

Ignoring that horrible narration, it's brilliant to see its possible to copy and paste the landscape of LU into LW, now someone needs to either try to port the models/props from the island or rebuild them from scratch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.