Lego Worlds Mod Manager

KeinSkill

Hey people i just received the idea of programing an mod manager for lego worlds. So at the moment its possible to extract the game data and edit manually some ressource files to change something ingame.

Functions/Features: 

browse through actual available mods & download/install them if you want to test them

reset gamefiles to standart

So what do you think? Anybody who had a smilar idea ? Maybe we can work together :)

LWModManager.exe
    |
    Main GUI - Settings
    |			|
    |			|_General settings
    |							|_Backup originally gamedata
    |                          |_Recover a selected/special ressource
    |				
    |
    |
    Information how to extract game data - do not show next time
    |
    Select game folder
    |
    |
    |
    Browse through a list to activate / deactivate a "feature"
    |                          |_set a custom value
    |
    |
    Write/patch linked files
    |
    End

Edited by KeinSkill

lol username

The devs are considering official modding support once the game is more stable, but we don't really know what that means yet... Do you think it's worth putting effort into a mod manager that has a chance of becoming obsolete, potentially as soon as the full launch of the game early next year?

For reference, here's what the devs have to say about modding:

Will LEGO Worlds support Mods?

Right now, we are not supporting Mods, and we want to ensure that we get the base game working correctly for everyone first. We will explore supporting Mods at a later date once we are satisfied (and you are satisfied) that the game is stable enough to consider opening up these avenues. 

Please also bear in mind that any Modding currently breaches the terms of the EULA, meaning we will not be able to assist you if a Mod damages your game in any way. 
It’s also worth noting that we will be making massive amounts of changes of the Early Access schedule, and that Mods that work now, may break down the line, or possibly cause issues with your game data later. We strongly suggest that you do not modify the game files at this time!

Also, do we have enough mods to make such a thing worthwhile? So far it's been more of just exploring how the game works and unlocking new stuff than adding entirely new things.

And as the devs said, it's likely that mods will likely be broken by updates to the game, as it's still in development. So while modding may take off (or may not yet, who knows), will there be enough working mods for the current version of the game at any given point to make a mod manager helpful?

As for my opinion - I'd just stick to modding the game data by hand. Most of the modding so far is just changing lines in text files, and I don't see how a mod manager could help with that. As for minifigure textures (which I expect are what people will be modding the most, going by how popular they've been for other LEGO games we've modded), I'm fine just downloading and sticking in the textures myself. Running another program to do as simple of a task as that, and then having to make sure it did its job correctly... Nah.

• Like 3

Also, do we have enough mods to make such a thing worthwhile? So far it's been more of just exploring how the game works and unlocking new stuff than adding entirely new things.

Dunno :D I just discovered this place of the internet yesterday. I know that there not exist many mods and its kinda useless to create a software for maybe something which is gonna break in the next days/months but i think i will give it a try anyways

Onegreatrace

Is there even a way to add stuff in without overwriting existing content?

There is also a very good mod manager already called JSGME.

The devs are considering official modding support once the game is more stable, but we don't really know what that means yet... Do you think it's worth putting effort into a mod manager that has a chance of becoming obsolete, potentially as soon as the full launch of the game early next year?

For reference, here's what the devs have to say about modding:

Will LEGO Worlds support Mods?

Right now, we are not supporting Mods, and we want to ensure that we get the base game working correctly for everyone first. We will explore supporting Mods at a later date once we are satisfied (and you are satisfied) that the game is stable enough to consider opening up these avenues. 

Please also bear in mind that any Modding currently breaches the terms of the EULA, meaning we will not be able to assist you if a Mod damages your game in any way. 
It’s also worth noting that we will be making massive amounts of changes of the Early Access schedule, and that Mods that work now, may break down the line, or possibly cause issues with your game data later. We strongly suggest that you do not modify the game files at this time!

:grbrick: :D YES! I was worried that TT wouldn't even consider modding!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.