Return To Planet U (THE END?)

Lair

Figured out how to make the multiple raiders work while only one teleports. The teleporters will be your crew, and the others... you'll see.

Anyways, I might as well write up more plot since I want all the levels to focus on a plot that all ties together.

Hey, could you make it so, that you builds teams, like in Darkspore, where you can create a three members group and send them on the missions? like having one raider that can shoot, one that can use flying vehicles and one that repair objects.

Hey, could you make it so, that you builds teams, like in Darkspore, where you can create a three members group and send them on the missions? like having one raider that can shoot, one that can use flying vehicles and one that repair objects.

Nope, that has to be manually assigned by the players through training one as a Pilot, giving one a Lazar Beam and giving one a spanner and teaching them engineering.

• 1 month later...

This is all dead anyways so I might as well revive it. It's being renamed "The guy everyone hates' Mod"

But really it will have a ton of levels now because some are short plot-needed levels.

I honestly have no idea. Nobody's found out yet as far as forum posting goes, so why don't you spam 200 copies of a level and see if the game will play all 200 copies?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Has it seriously been ten months :|

I could release what I have, but it's kind of a mess right now. I haven't bothered to do anything for a long time. As I've said before, it felt too much like a chore and there kept being too many issues.

• 1 month later...

Making a post because it's just sad that all the posts on this page cover fourteen and a half months.

I'm counting this as working on my game because technically it is. As for the mod itself, we'll see where it goes from here.

• 2 weeks later...

I might release some separate mods, as I've already done before. I won't make a new one though, I'd just keep editing the one I have until it was where I wanted it. I actually was looking over my files today.

• 4 months later...

(tldr at the bottom if you don't care to read this, please don't read this)

Well. I don't know what to do from here. The entire project has become a twisted mess. I have a huge load of ideas formed, and I have not even bothered to make a single one of them, besides a few reskins and a total of one actually new model - though it is just an edit (There is also that chaos emerald model, and the ice pillar, but both of those are simple). If you've read the wiki article, you know what a disaster it is. I keep dumping in loads of ideas, and they never go anywhere except being expanded in concept. Honestly, how much of this is achievable in the game's engine? I might as well program my own game. Sure, they're doable by some complex methods, but I have put so much on my plate that I am baffled.

If I had started this project in a logical way and planned a few steps at a time, then did those steps, I might actually be somewhere. But no, the start was incredibly stupid. It started off as a copy of Baz's Mod. I saw Baz doing good stuff and decided to follow the leader. Those of you who have read the old topic, and the beginning of this one, see that it was nothing more than new levels and modding what existed. Over time it grew into new stuff, yet, but deep down I have never been able to shake off the feeling it originally had. When I was young, and dumb. When this mod was new, and dumb. I promised so many things, but they went nowhere. We always criticize new members who say they are starting a mod, but we forget about this one. I was one of those new members. I started a mod. I didn't let go like the others did. But I realize now that it's no use. I dove headfirst into something I had no idea about. Yes, I have the ability to continue now that I know what I'm doing.

But I've lost the will. And so have all of you. Very few of you seem to care about modding RR any more. We've discovered all there is to discover. But there's still so much to do. You could all make your own complex mods. But the issue is, we need expensive programs to do this, or we just send them to people like Cirevam and ask DUDE CONVERT THIS FOR ME. And of course, it's my fault too. We're all responsible for the downfall. If I had kept modding and posting stuff, maybe people would have remained interested. But it became a vicious cycle, just waiting for someone to break it, but no. I won't even go into all the people who quit RRU. They mostly have quit for reasons I do not understand. But maybe I would have quit too, if I wasn't so deeply embedded in this site. I love this community. Even when it all goes to hell, I still love it. It was the first site I really ever joined, and where I became me... but that's off track. I'm talking about the downfall of RR modding. Well, it's not really true. There are, of course, people like Cyrem and Cirevam are still doing stuff, and other people want to but don't have a way to. RRU is still very much alive, but it just doesn't know where to go. Of course there is Racers modding and Island Xtreme Stunts, but I have almost no interest in either of those (I want to change this, Racers looks so good). But this is about Return to Planet U. Yes, even the name seems silly. Well, not really, but Planet U just sounds like an odd name... So much about the original story is odd. I tried to fix the problems in my new story, but it gradually became less and less about Rock Raiders. I didn't want it to be a fan fiction, but the more original it became, the more it grew apart from the original intentions. When I realized I wanted to just morph it into my personal universe (the one that I upload sketches of on my deviantart), I realized enough is enough. The idea has gone nowhere, and will go nowhere. So, I might as well send it there.

It is 2:50 PM, Central Standard Time +DST in the United States. It is the 7th of April, in the year 2013.
At 2:50 PM, Central Standard Time +DST in the United States, on the 1st day of July in the year 2009, I started this project. That was three years, nine months, and six days ago - a total of one thousand, three hundred and seventy-six (1376) days ago. Today, I end what I started. It's not the end, but a new beginning. I am freeing myself from this burden... so silly to call it a burden, but the expectations of it were. It has not become what I wanted, and I would rather do what I am happy doing than do what people want me to do. So this is it, for this project. Will there be other projects? Possibly. And why would I have other RR modding projects when I am terminating this one? Because...

You know what else is significant about this date? I believe that almost exactly ten years years ago, I received my first copy of LEGO Rock Raiders. Ten years ago, today (or this month, anyway). It's like book ends.
But enough of the ridiculous drama.

tl;dr, I am putting this project to a close. It started badly and has grown out of control. I doubt any of you will care, but I might as well say it. I want to thank you all for whatever support you may have given, and apologize for just quitting like this. But, I promise you all, this isn't the end. I'm ending a silly game mod, not quitting the site. I'll still be here. And who knows, maybe when I get my thoughts back in order, I'll start something new...

Bad luck. You didn't complete the project you promised everyone. Mission failed.

Try again? Y N

This is highly unfortunate, and reading through you have a lot of terribly accurate points. I'm not sure if it's because we're just older and busier, or if modding has slowly crept out of grasp, but whatever has happened, I was really hoping you were going to break through this invisible *barrier* that seems to stop us from progressing on our overhauls, and give us something amazing.

We are all entirely responsible for the actions of not just ourselves, but of everyone else on this site. It's a harrowing truth which should serve as a reminder of why the community sticking together is much more important than falling apart, even despite our collective differentiating opinions and attitudes.

This has been enlightening and has given me even more of a push to go back and finish what I started, and I hope that this will act as a wake-up call to the community, so that they can finally get back to doing what this site was constructed to do; bring together a bunch of people who enjoy creating custom content for LEGO Rock Raiders, sharing and playing that custom content, in turn using it to make more custom content. The coming months will be difficult for us all, I am sure, but none-the-less we all have a commitment to giving back to this site and to Cyrem, who genuinely pays without receiving any compensation to keep this site alive.

I've been fiddling with my custom resolution and with AIRSTRIKE, but nothing ready for launch, and SKN needs a major overhaul before I can make it into a proper...uh...overhaul (the problem is I wanted to do something that the game was not suited for; I need to reconsider the actual gameplay and focus on that instead of doing all this story stuff). Hopefully by the end of the year i might have done a significant amount of work and released a couple things. That we shall see.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • Cyrem locked this topic