Desert Island Discs

Jimbob

Desert Island Discs was originally a BBC radio programme where guests were invited to choose eight pieces of music, a book and a luxury item that they would take if they were to be cast away on a desert island. The idea has since been evolved and used elsewhere so I thought I'd bring our own version to RRU.

The Rules

You are going to be stranded on a desert island with nothing but a few possessions of your choice. You must choose three items to take from each of the following categories:

• Book
  • Film
  • Music
  • TV Series
  • Video Game

You must then choose one luxury item. This is any non-living object, suitable to bring on a small boat or plane.

To make things easier, box set releases are allowed. For example, a pack comprising of all 8 series of House, or a video game trilogy on one disc. Furthermore you may choose video games requiring internet connections, let's just say there's an energy crystal machine on the island that provides you with a decent connection. Let's see what you'd bring!

I'll start. Also, feel free to write why you have chosen each item.

My Desert Island Discs

Books

I'm not much of a book reader myself so I would have to take comic books instead. I'm a huge Mass Effect and Batman fan so naturally these would be my choices:

• Batman: Hush
  • Mass Effect Library Edition Volume 1
  • Mass Effect Library Edition Volume 2

Films

There are so many good films to choose from! To take just three though... I'd definitely have to have a Nolan film in there.

• The Dark Knight Trilogy
  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - it was a tough choice between this and Star Wars: The Complete Saga, but in the end the story and film-making of TLOTR wins it for me
  • Serenity

Music

This is perhaps the hardest category on the list for me, as there are so many great albums out there.

• Demon Days, by Gorillaz - this was hotly contested with Muse, but I couldn't pick a single album by them and already have TCV below as a Rock choice
  • Mass Effect 2 Soundtrack, by Jack Wall
  • Them Crooked Vultures, by Them Crooked Vultures

TV Series

Not too difficult as I don't watch a great deal of TV.

• Doctor Who: The Complete Box Set - Series 1-7 (gah, why haven't they made a release with Series 8 included yet!)
  • Family Guy - Seasons 1-14 (I need some comic relief in here, there are some great choices but the randomness of Family Guy wins it for me)
  • Firefly

Video Games

I think this list is probably the easiest.

• LittleBigPlanet 3 - it was this or Destiny, but I feel I'd need something which uses my creativity
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Vanquish - a little-known yet incredibly brilliant, fast-paced shooter game

Luxury Item

My bass guitar! Or perhaps an acoustic one so I don't need an amp. Or maybe a fancy electric one with a built-in amp.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.