LEGO Chess' .res Files Can Now Be Extracted

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

I made a topic for the files over on on aluigi's (QuickBMS creator) forum, and within little time that wonderful archive expert made a script (thanks aluigi!). :D

So now:

Using QuickBMS: http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

And this script: http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers/bms/others/lego_chess.bms (right click Save As)

you can extract the files.

I don't have the game installed, but I recall when I did that a large amount of files weren't in any archives (textures for sure, and some other stuff). What do the res files contain?

Fluffy Cupcake

Lots of .bmp, some .wav [lots in the tutorial.res], some .txt, and a bunch of other unknown formats like .ani, .msh, .fmp, .mod, .cam, .loc, .sfx, .spb, and .pal, .obj. and project (.prj) files.

The folders are organized by scenes (and whatever else for non-scenes), which in the end does produce duplicate textures.

As for the textures not in the archives, those are just mostly hud and particle effects.

Haha. Well the question now is, can your unreleased tool repack the files? =P

No.

I suspect that msh files are earlier ones of li2's because work on li2 started in krisalis

I've looked at both, and they're not.

MaelstromIslander

I suspect that msh files are earlier ones of li2's because work on li2 started in krisalis

The only thing krisalis actually had was a dog and a kid on a flat plain(?). Three models and none of them exist anymore and so we don't know what formats they were using. Probably not .msh, though.

The only thing krisalis actually had was a dog and a kid on a flat plain(?). Three models and none of them exist anymore and so we don't know what formats they were using. Probably not .msh, though.

That's uh... no, not quite, to both of you.

http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/4102-lego-interactive-producer-located/?do=findComment&comment=85183

I worked with a company called Krisalis in Rotherham, UK, to generate the prototype - after about 6 months all we had was the younger boy running around a test environment with the dog, and you could tell it to dig in certain areas... pretty basic stuff. Before we could really start fleshing stuff out the project was canned when it became clear the TV show wasn't going anywhere.

Someone obviously saw the resemblance between the boy and Pepper, as that's when the idea of using the work as the basis of LEGO Island 2 was suggested.

So we change the kid to Pepper, dropped the dog, added a skateboard (there was going to be a Tony Hawks lite element to the game, performing stunts and so on - don't think that was in the final game), changed the plot to pretty much what it is now, dropped all the time-travelling puzzle solving and added mini-games - basically made it a lot simpler.

Unfortunately, that's where my involvement ended - basically with the game still at prototype stage. After I left, LEGO took the game away from Krisalis and gave it to Silicon Dreams, plus they expanded the platform range - when I was involved, it was intended just for PC and PS1.

I'll be honest, I haven't played the finished game that much - just tonked around the first couple of areas. But it feels like the game I worked on - or certainly, the game I intended it to be. I don't think the cut content relates to the old game - I imagine Silicon Dreams would've dumped everything that Krisalis had done and started again; far easier than picking through other people's code. Also, no speech was recorded on my watch - tbh, it's not the sort of thing you'd do early; best to leave it until later when it's clearer what the game will contain. I suspect the reality is they ran out of time and slashed content to get the game into releasable state..

tl;dr:

Guy #1, from what we know, LEGO Island 2 runs on Silicon Dreams's own tech.

Guy #2... wat. All we know is that the prototype they had six months in involved a "test environment" - you seem to be making up/misremembering the "flat plain" and "three models" and "none of them exist anymore" stuff. And that's not "the only thing krisalis actually had"; they continued work on LEGO Fantasy/LEGO Island 2 beyond that, as Dave said - and I've briefly talked with an artist who made "buildings, vehicles and environments" for the game while at Krisalis.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.