Timed Auto Kick

The Ace Railgun

The Ace Railgun

It'd be nice if we had some sort of timed auto kick feature in the chat room that kicked people after like 5 minutes of being afk so we don't get people who sit in chat all day not chatting for the majority of time in there, or just if the forget to log off the chat before they go.

This feature would be nice even without the 5 person limit just so it gets cleared up.

Edited by The Ace Railgun

Quisoves Potoo

While we're at it, it would be nice if the system were quicker to realize that you're gone. It's annoying when you accidentally press ctrl-w, and the site, Aristotle-be-damned, insists that you're both in the chat room and not in the chat room, and consequently doesn't let you in.

Eh, I figure a half hour timer at least.  You set it too short and you'll have people participating in a conversation, but not necessarily typing, getting kicked.

Fluffy Cupcake

"participating"

If you are silent that long I'd say the people are talking to a wall, or you're just being a lurker.

At this point I may as well suggest a "Don't kick me!" button which refreshes your inactivity time without the need to send a message.

• Like 2

The Ace Railgun

At this point I may as well suggest a "Don't kick me!" button which refreshes your inactivity time without the need to send a message.

The only problem with that is people could still lurk and take up spaces, without actually typing. Also yeah 30, and even 15 minutes is too long. I'd go with 10 minutes at the most.

Edited by The Ace Railgun
  • Like 1

If something like this does happen, be sure to disable this if their is only one person in the room. Otherwise we are going to need to talk to ourselves while waiting for other people to join >.<

• Like 1

Honestly, the problem isn't people not talking in the chat room.  Thats how chatrooms are.  People idle and join in when the conversation is agreeable.  Thats how every chatroom/IRC I've ever used over the last 15-ish years has worked.  It's silly to think that in this age of tabbed browsers that a 10 minute lull in conversation is unacceptable.  

The real problem is that a limit of 5 people is roughly half the size the limit should be.  (Why is there a limit in the first place, anyway?  Technical? Financial? Spam?)  

If I remember right, several of us RRUers treated the shoutbox like a chatroom.  Now its RRUers wanting the chatroom to function like a shoutbox.  

Quisoves Potoo

Honestly, the problem isn't people not talking in the chat room.  Thats how chatrooms are.  People idle and join in when the conversation is agreeable.  Thats how every chatroom/IRC I've ever used over the last 15-ish years has worked.  It's silly to think that in this age of tabbed browsers that a 10 minute lull in conversation is unacceptable.  

If we taking about mere ten-minute lulls, I'd agree. We're talking about people spending 30+ minutes doing nothing but take up (limited) space. That is problematic, surely?

The real problem is that a limit of 5 people is roughly half the size the limit should be.  (Why is there a limit in the first place, anyway?  Technical? Financial? Spam?) 

I believe the problem is financial.

I recall somebody saying that RRU's forum works a bit like... er.... the LRR upgrade system, for lack of a better example. You have the base forum code, then you have various additional things you can put on.

I think Cyrem downgraded from a complete chatroom to a 5-person-limit chatroom due to financial issues... but I also think that some auto-kick could be developed to fit onto whatever the base of the forum is. (Le? [/beg])

I think.

Fluffy Cupcake

Maybe not, but I'd rather help the site where and when it needs it rather than let it die/suffer. Right now it cries for funds, so that's darn well where I'll be helping it.

• Like 2

Lind Whisperer

Off-topic a bit, but if we're discussing chat room features/etiquette:

I vote that we make "No talking using only a single vowel" a chat rule. Ot's rothor hord to rood...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.