LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Fluffy Cupcake

A couple comparative images and one video of Redux.

http://s5.postimg.org/jcwa0rx6t/Before_After01.png

http://s5.postimg.org/qhe39t4g5/Before_After02.png

By the way @bphillips09, if I'm not mistaken the correct rock texture to use is hide_^ROCKX.png not hide_^MITESX.png (I don't even know where MitesX is suppose to be used to be honest).

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

Basically that's all it is now yes, all other signs of life are completely absent. Amazingly the only really noticeable thing of low poly is the studs on things, everything else not so much.

bphillips09
41 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

Hmm it looks very good, basically higher resolution, better rendering and lighting. Even though I like it, it kinda takes the retro feeling.

Thanks! You can also open the config menu and set it to the lowest resolution/quality setting as possible to give it that nostalgic feeling.

1 hour ago, Xiron said:

By the way @bphillips09, if I'm not mistaken the correct rock texture to use is hide_^ROCKX.png not hide_^MITESX.png (I don't even know where MitesX is suppose to be used to be honest).

Really? I'll swap it out and see if it looks better. I'm considering installing XP on a virtual machine so I can open lego island again without having to keep watching youtube videos of it to get details.

Also, your comparison pictures just made me realize I forgot to put flowers around the island! I'll put those in when I get the game running again.

bphillips09
1 minute ago, lordtobi909 said:

It runs natively on Windows 10 (at least on mine). If you have the original disc, consider using le717's Alternate Installer and use 'Ramp Emulation' rendering mode to correctly display transparent textures.

It worked fine for me on Win10 until a few days ago and now it won't launch at all. I'll try using the alternate installer though and see if that works.

bphillips09
33 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

Don't forget to unistall the game first, else the registry entries will clash.

Also, two other things:

1. Could you bind the Z button also to Y? I am German and therefore have the keys switched on my keyboard.
  2. Could you provide the game without installer? I hate installers :P

Do the Z and Y keys work backwards with the QWERTZ layout?

Version 0.6 won't have an installer :) I'll have it up within an hour or so.

bphillips09
2 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

Do you mean that, if I press Z on my keyboard, the game recognizes it as Y? If so, AFAIK, Unity takes per-char inputs, rather than keyboard-position input.

I'm just confused as to what you mean by "Bind the Z button also as Y". I don't think Unity can detect the language or keyboard layout, so I can't have it automatically reverse the keys. However, when you run the game, you can open the Config menu and go to the "Input" tab and change the keys from there. As of right now, v0.5 doesn't let you change the Z or Y key, but I'll add that to v0.6.

bphillips09

I updated the game to version v0.6. The changes and link are in the initial post.

39 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

Alright, then :thumbsup:. I'd volunteer as a programmer, if you need,

It's very possible sometime soon. Especially if I decide to recreate the entire game, then I'm going to need a lot of help!

9 hours ago, Xiron said:

(I don't even know where MitesX is suppose to be used to be honest).

The entrance to the cave.

Fluffy Cupcake
8 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Also, your comparison pictures just made me realize I forgot to put flowers around the island! I'll put those in when I get the game running again.

:P

6 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

It's very possible sometime soon. Especially if I decide to recreate the entire game, then I'm going to need a lot of help!

Well, I'm not sure what the final indoor plans are, but I started working on this the other day: http://postimg.org/image/5fj5sl5fn/

It's a bit difficult to get the scales right on some things when all the different rooms shown are from different distances.

@lordtobi909 The shading doesn't actually take a big hit on the nostalgia factor, at least not for me. If anything it would be the removal of the original water, but eh, I guess I'm okay with that change.

29 minutes ago, mumboking said:

The entrance to the cave.

I thought it might be the cave entrance, but when I checked afterwards I didn't take a good enough look to confirm it.

bphillips09
2 hours ago, Xiron said:

Well, I'm not sure what the final indoor plans are, but I started working on this the other day: http://postimg.org/image/5fj5sl5fn/

It's a bit difficult to get the scales right on some things when all the different rooms shown are from different distances.

That's awesome! That might be the best way to approach the interiors in the long run. Maybe we could find a modeler to help with remaining assets and just make mostly everything by hand?

Maybe we could find all the actual Lego sets like this: http://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.lego.com/r/rebrick/images/ImageHandler.ashx?id=edd8aa90-06c6-4286-81eb-a34a0111e531&size=RebrickLarge&d=1 and try to acquire the original models for those?

EDIT: I lied, I think that model is fan-made...

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

I thought it might be the cave entrance, but when I checked afterwards I didn't take a good enough look to confirm it.

I think it's for the interior of the cave. If I change the rock material, the entrance to the cave changes as well, so I think it's supposed to be the same material as the rocks/mountain. I won't know for sure until we have the rest of the missing models, though.

1 hour ago, bphillips09 said:

I think it's for the interior of the cave. If I change the rock material, the entrance to the cave changes as well, so I think it's supposed to be the same material as the rocks/mountain. I won't know for sure until we have the rest of the missing models, though.

It's the floor for the cave and it's entrance. The entrance walls use the normal rock texture.

Not sure about the cave's walls though, they might be their own texture.

I'm not really much of a modeler (and can't really help much currently other than in the way of beta testing), but since I conveniently built the missing bridge in LDD a while back, and somehow managed to get the LDD Model Converter long before bartvbl deleted it, I managed to make a replacement for the original bridge of the racetrack since not even I can find that model in the extracted files.
I cleaned up a lot of unneeded polygons to it and made sure it was as low poly as I possibly could. (Might still be higher poly than the original though.)

Some adjustments may be needed to it, since I didn't do a test fitting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81446350/rctrackbridge.zip

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

2 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Maybe we could find all the actual Lego sets like this: http://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.lego.com/r/rebrick/images/ImageHandler.ashx?id=edd8aa90-06c6-4286-81eb-a34a0111e531&size=RebrickLarge&d=1 and try to acquire the original models for those?

While we wait for Hamhock's ripper update, I can try and get to you Wognif's LDD recreation of the buildings. They'll probably be of higher quality anyhow, so I don't know if you'll want to stick with them over the originals in the long run.

(btw @Wognif the images in that topic are broke)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xiron said:

While we wait for Hamhock's ripper update, I can try and get to you Wognif's LDD recreation of the buildings. They'll probably be of higher quality anyhow, so I don't know if you'll want to stick with them over the originals in the long run.

(btw @Wognif the images in that topic are broke)

Images fixed. Thanks for letting me know. ;)

bphillips09

Does anyone know which SI file has the audio for Floor 2 in the elevator?

I have the SMK video file but can't find the audio that goes along with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it! It's in Isle.SI, I had to sort them by length and remove any under/over 8 seconds to find it. There's almost 2000 audio files in there!

Fluffy Cupcake

I imagine it would be one of the files in the Infocntr folder, but I don't really know.

Need a clean audio recording? I can do that.

bphillips09

Does anyone have any small requests for me to add to v0.7

So far I added:

• InfoCenter working elevator with working status indicators
  • InfoCenter observation deck with a real-time view of the island
  • A skateboard to skate around the island

I removed the ability to sprint using the shift key, now the only way to go fast is to use the skateboard by walking onto it and pressing "E" to get off.

Fluffy Cupcake

Hmm, not sure what I feel about sprint removal, but it definately is a move towards being classic. (Actually, if a game has a sprint function with no fatigue, I find myself holding it down 85% of the time, so as long as there are other travel alternatives, I find this is good.)

My current priority request is currently to finish adding the missing music zones where it needs them (i.e. mountain top and post office/superstore for some examples).

Here's a thought while I'm at it. Will pizza throwing be a thing in this game as it is in the other two games in the series?

bphillips09
2 minutes ago, Xiron said:

My current priority request is currently to finish adding the missing music zones where it needs them (i.e. mountain top and post office/superstore for some examples).

I'll see if the alternative installer fixes the issues I was having with the original game so I can go back and fine-tune those zones.

2 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Will pizza throwing be a thing in this game as it is in the other two games in the series?

It definitely can be! I might put something temporary in place until we have the arm textures/animations.

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.