LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

35 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Does anyone have any small requests for me to add to v0.7

EDIT:

How about a working Jukebox?

Also, whenever you do implement the Traffic Lights as a customisable object, you might want to fix the transparency;

LCBpwn2.png

Other than that, it looks very good so far, especially the water.

[If you need an animator to replicate the animations used for both characters and misc. objects, I could give it a whirl.]

Fluffy Cupcake

I see. Not gonna go with the Youtube videos for temporal zones huh? =P

The jukebox model is already on the island. Getting it functional was a suggestion I would of done eventually, but it wasn't really my priority thought.

bphillips09
6 minutes ago, Ben24x7 said:

I cannot say for certain that you have access to it's model, but could you add the Jukebox?

I just came across some of the jukebox textures I was missing, so I'll definitely look into adding actual functionality. The biggest problem with that is the large amount of audio files that it uses.

2 minutes ago, Xiron said:

I see. Not gonna go with the Youtube videos for temporal zones huh? =P

Watching youtube videos of games is not my forte :P 

12 minutes ago, Ben24x7 said:

EDIT:

How about a working Jukebox?

It's not exactly going to change the game entirely, so it doesn't have to be done now.

Better question: Are you talking about the one by the pizzeria with the 5-6 songs on it?

22 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Does anyone have any small requests for me to add to v0.7

Hmm... will the observation deck have the paper airplane launching function? Because other than viewing the island and changing the sky color, that's one of the few reasons I ever use the observation deck in the original. That, and to listen to the radio/disembodied pirate voice while letting the monkeys loose.

bphillips09
Just now, Wognif said:

Hmm... will the observation deck have the paper airplane launching function? Because other than viewing the island and changing the sky color, that's one of the few reasons I ever use the observation deck in the original. That, and to listen to the radio/disembodied pirate voice while letting the monkeys loose.

It will! But you have to click the little airplane icon since I currently don't think I have the black lever object file.

Unfortunately, I haven't added the sky color/radio/etc functionality yet, but that's on my todo list.

Fluffy Cupcake
9 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Watching youtube videos of games is not my forte :P 

Watch me livestream it then. :P

Yeah, I know what you're getting at, being there firsthand is always better.

1 minute ago, Wognif said:

Hmm... will the observation deck have the paper airplane launching function? Because other than viewing the island and changing the sky color, that's one of the few reasons I ever use the observation deck in the original.

It'd actually be cool if we could have a slight bit of control over the airplane.

bphillips09
1 hour ago, Xiron said:

It'd actually be cool if we could have a slight bit of control over the airplane.

Come on, guys, I said small requests! 

Kidding, that's an easy one. :P

• Like 3

bphillips09

Ok I had to brush up a little on my paper airplane physics but I think it came out really nice! I'm gonna upload v0.7 in a few minutes.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

Meanwhile, here's an update pic on the Info Center internal.

Info_Front.png

That window in the door was a pain in the butt to do.

Also, the more I work on this, the more inconsistencies I find, oh well, I'm alright with making-do.

1 hour ago, Ben24x7 said:

[If you need an animator to replicate the animations used for both characters and misc. objects, I could give it a whirl.]

I haven't really given 3D animation much of a try yet myself, but is has been something I've considered trying several times in the past.

• Like 3

bphillips09

Meanwhile, here's an update pic on the Info Center internal.

Info_Front.png

That window in the door was a pain in the butt to do.

Also, the more I work on this, the more inconsistencies I find, oh well, I'm alright with making-do.

It's beautiful. Are you recreating some of the objects by hand?

If you need an animator to replicate the animations used for both characters and misc. objects, I could give it a whirl.

That would be awesome. Do you happen to know what kind of format was used in the original animations? I'm wondering if it would be possible to somehow import them into blender or unity.

Also, good to know about the traffic lights. Did they actually work in-game or are they just scenery? I don't remember seeing them much around the island.

Fluffy Cupcake

Some yeah. The bricks I steal from LDD/LeoCad (and optimize after importing), and as well I adjust some when I can't find the proper size needed, but otherwise everything else everything non-brick I do myself.

5 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Also, good to know about the traffic lights. Did they actually work in-game or are they just scenery? I don't remember seeing them much around the island.

As far as I know, they were scenery objects used only in certain situations, like an obstacle in the tow truck missions and in an animation where a traffic light changes into a tree.

10 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

That would be awesome. Do you happen to know what kind of format was used in the original animations? I'm wondering if it would be possible to somehow import them into blender or unity.

I only know how to animate things, not file formats. Maybe someone else could answer this?

The traffic lights are just scenery, but Wognif is right in regards to the model being used in a scripted sequence and as an obstacle.

bphillips09

Some yeah. The bricks I steal from LDD/LeoCad (and optimize after importing), and as well I adjust some when I can't find the proper size needed, but otherwise everything else everything non-brick I do myself.

That's awesome. If we go the 3D route, maybe the interiors should be "interactable" like the rest of the island instead of point and click, so you can walk around inside them.

Also, whenever you do implement the Traffic Lights as a customisable object, you might want to fix the transparency;

I figured out the issue with the stoplights. 

So basically, all of the objects extracted from the game had their faces/normals reversed. For the sake of saving lots of time, I have a script on each object that flips the faces at runtime. I tried searching around for an automated way of flipping all the object faces in blender/meshlab but I couldn't find one.

Anyway, the traffic light seems to be the only object where only some faces are flipped. The lights themselves are normal but the rest of the object is reversed, so when the faces flip at runtime, the lights are inside-out. 

This is what it looks like without the faces flipped:

NlLG5y1.png

You can see how the pole mesh is inverted but the lights are normal. I could probably get around this by opening up the object in meshlab and reversing all the normals manually.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

I figured that looked more like a flipped normal then a transparency issue, I could tell just by looking at it. (modeler's eye ;P)

Well, I don't know how to flip normals in MeshLab, but I do in Blender (didn't even know you were using that :P).

15 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Do you happen to know what kind of format was used in the original animations? I'm wondering if it would be possible to somehow import them into blender or unity.

Ben24x7 isn't much of a file reverse guy (at least not that I've seen), so I doubt he has an answer. He already replied to this.

I can do basics of file examining, but if the file is packed away in an archive I couldn't tell ya.

bphillips09
7 minutes ago, Xiron said:

I can do basics of file examining, but if the file is packed away in an archive I couldn't tell ya.

All I know is that there's a lot of "XXXXX_RunAnim" files in different SI archives, but I don't know what the original filetype is. The only extractor that would export those files was LIME and it extracts everything as a wav file. 

Also, quick question, I noticed the "quiet" audio with the birds chirping only plays occaisionally in-game and near the pizza place area. Do you know if there's a pattern to when it's supposed to play?

In my experience of LEGO Island, the 'Birds Chriping' audio usually played at the end of a scripted sequence when the Pizzaria music is cut-off/fades out.

This isn't the most accurate response, and I'm probably wrong, but thats the 'pattern' I hear when playing.

It's normally the "pizza" song that plays in the region, the ambient sound is pizzeria exclusive, cutscene or not.

I can confirm this. The ambient sound also plays at the area of the jukebox when the jukebox isn't in use., though that's very likely because the jukebox is literally right next to the pizzeria.

Fluffy Cupcake

Fact, the song is actually called Beach Boulevard in the files. :P

Makes sense since it plays along that whole street along the beach.

• Like 2

bphillips09
4 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Fact, the song is actually called Beach Boulevard in the files. :P

Makes sense since it plays along that whole street along the beach.

Something like this?

3jtKN0C.png

Fluffy Cupcake

Aside from it not going up to the superstore, that is 100% correct actually. Enter the beach. beach music. Head inland, town central music.

bphillips09
1 minute ago, Xiron said:

Aside from it not going up to the superstore, that is 100% correct actually. Enter the beach. beach music. Head inland, town central music.

Well the audio will continue playing until you enter another zone, so this should work.

3 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

I believe it plays about anywhere once you hop on the skateboard?

I'm no physic, but you might be thinking about the 'LEGO theme' that plays when you do a Pizza Mission or go onto the Skateboard.

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.