LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

bphillips09
On 7/13/2016 at 10:15 AM, Basil the Batlord said:

I tested the Linux version today and it works (Ubuntu 14.04). It is a bit more laggy than on my Windows distribution but I think that has to do with my graphics card. The only thing I did not understand is that the game launched with the LEGO Island REDUX.x86 executable, but it crashed using the LEGO Island REDUX.x86_64 executable, while my computer is 64 bit.

Huh... that's really weird. I'll test it on a VM soon and if I can't get the 64-bit builds to work for Linux then I'll just make 32-bit only. 

Off Topic, but does anyone know if it's possible to see every edit I've made on a post? I haven't really been keeping track of all the changes since v0.1 and want to make a changelog (and all the changes have been edited in the initial post).

Fluffy Cupcake

No, edit history does not exist. At least not for us normal users. I'm a bit doubtful it exists for the higher-ups either.

bphillips09

Just wanted to give an update for anyone still interested in this project. 

v0.9.3 is almost finished and will have lots of new stuff. Here's a short list of the main additions:

• 3D Interiors for the InfoCenter and Observation Tower
  • Interaction system (for elevator buttons and various interior items)
  • Redefined settings menu (still alpha though)
  • In-game Resolution/VSync settings
  • In-game Rebindable controls
  • GamePad/Controller support (for almost every possible type of controller)!

I also wanted to get everyone's opinion on what the future of this game should be.

Should it continue to be a recreation of the original game? Or should it become something entirely different (think like a "Garry's Mod map" kind of thing)? I'm all for recreating the original LEGO Island, but probably wouldn't devote as much time into it if not many others share the same opinion. 

Fluffy Cupcake

A recreation with a few new elements to keep it fresh is a good idea.

Think: What could I not do in the original that I really wish I could?

Dazzgracefulmoon

man, it's refreshing to see a project on here that isn't overly ambitious and is getting reasonable updates.

keep at it, dude.

• Like 6

Yep, I think it should continue onward as a recreation of the original with additional features.
*wipes dust off of the old game controller*

7 hours ago, RobberBaron said:

Recreation would be great, especially for those of us who can't get the original to work.

in my experience Lego Island is one of the easiest Lego games to get running on any OS

RobberBaron
17 hours ago, Ringtail said:

in my experience Lego Island is one of the easiest Lego games to get running on any OS

I don't know what else I can do to get it to work on Windows 10; a while ago I tried it on Windows 7 and it ran but lots of textures and objects wouldn't show up so it wasn't actually playable (couldn't click the pizza etc).

• 2 weeks later...
bphillips09

Another update!

I'm out of town until Wednesday and then I leave again on Friday so I'll try to have v0.9.3 out sometime between then. Just gotta fix a few small things when I get back home.

• Like 1

Updated to v0.9.3. The changes and links are in the initial post.

Highlights: 

• 3D Interiors for the InfoCenter
  • Interaction system (for elevator buttons and various interior items)
  • Redefined settings menu (still alpha though)
  • In-game Resolution/VSync settings
  • In-game Rebindable controls!
  • GamePad/Controller support (for almost every possible type of controller)!

Note: Please do not use the "Input" tab in the configuration menu. Only use the new rebind system in the pause menu!

• Like 4

Fluffy Cupcake

Well guys, you finally get to see my 3D interior in full. Enjoy!

Hmm, I was moving around just now, and you do know what I think might be a good idea? Movement sounds like walking, skateboarding, and such on different surfaces. I think it's me having too much of LI2's presence lately that's been rubbing off on me. :P Of course, this would be a togglable option for those wishing to remain classic.

• 1 month later...

So it's been a month and a day since the release of v0.9.3. Any bugs/suggestions/ideas/complaints? I'm open to anything.

I'm (very slowly unfortunately) working on some bug fixes and changes for the next release, but wanted to know who has downloaded and played v0.9.3. The only metric I have is how many downloads each dropbox file has, which isn't very reliable since one person can download the game more than one time and it will count it twice.

I tried to edit my comment from 5 minutes ago but I'm getting an error that "This comment cannot be edited - it might have been moved, deleted, or too much time has passed" so I have to double-comment. 

Here are metrics for anyone interested. The 64-bit Windows version is by-far the most popular, which is interesting. 

6X3ujOh.png

Ok I don't know what is happening, but I can't edit any of my comments. I can, however, make a new comment and it will merge them... strange...

I wonder how many of us have made the impossible possible since the update.

large.theimpossible.png.0a3b3d23f541011c

I unintentionally pressed Y while in the Information Center and then got into the car and drove in.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Oh yeah, the avoid warp with Y bug. I figured it wasn't worth mentioning since Y isn't a permanent feature anyway.

I see you also used Y to go upstairs by the sky color. ;P

1 minute ago, Xiron said:

Oh yeah, the avoid warp with Y bug. I figured it wasn't worth mentioning since Y isn't a permanent feature anyway.

I had the sky color changed like that since before the update, actually. It just didn't reset when I changed versions for some reason.

5 hours ago, Wognif said:

I had the sky color changed like that since before the update, actually. It just didn't reset when I changed versions for some reason.

I recommend that you clear all previously-saved game data before running the updated version.
To do this, wait for the game to load the information center, then open the console and type "clearData true".
The game will then erase all saved data (keybindings, resolution settings, skycolor, etc) and quit.

4 hours ago, Wognif said:

Also, is a sea floor still needed? If so, I modeled one some time ago.

Reveal hidden contents

large.seafloor.png.55718381c0f3004c9e1aa

It may need a little bit of scaling (I had to scale down a model of the island for a reference point), but I tried to make it so it could fit the shape of the island.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81446350/seafloormodel.zip

Yes! Thank you! This will come in very handy.

5 hours ago, Xiron said:

Yeah it's a non-permanent feature but I might make a quick fix that just re-activates the exterior if you're inside and press Y.

• 1 month later...

Update! Almost 2 months since my last post and celebrating 80 downloads of v0.9.3! I didn't realize that many people were interested! :love:

v0.9.4 will be out soon! (hopefully within a week or so after Thanksgiving)

Some features I've already finished implementing:

• New sky/lighting system (still testing out dynamic sky)
  • Walking underwater and underwater effects (thanks @Wogniffor the model!)
  • Various bug fixes (including framerate optimizations)
  • Added credits that play before the game quits (can be exited by pressing any key/button)

I also wanted to get feedback for a possible intro. Would anyone be up for the challenge of possibly recreating the original "intro" that plays when you start the game? (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRU3x3-eLc) Or should a new intro be created when the game is finished (or at least has more features than currently available)?

Obviously a recreation of the original intro would take a long time to accomplish, and I wouldn't expect to utilize it until later in development when more features are implemented. I'm somewhat-alright at animating inside of Unity, and if it comes down to it I can pull off something somewhat-decent, but have almost no other experience with 3D modeling or animating with other programs (blender, maya, 3ds, etc). 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake
50 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Would anyone be up for the challenge of possibly recreating the original "intro" that plays when you start the game?

Obviously a recreation of the original intro would take a long time to accomplish.

If it had cuts I would have suggested to break it up and for several people to collab on it, buuuuuuut it's all one non-stop shot, so.

Who knows, maybe it would still be possible another way? Either by all using the same software or we could just go all out and make our very own alternate intro.

30 minutes ago, Xiron said:

If it had cuts I would have suggested to break it up and for several people to collab on it, buuuuuuut it's all one non-stop shot, so.

Who knows, maybe it would still be possible another way? Either by all using the same software or we could just go all out and make our very own alternate intro.

There's also multiple ways for it to be implemented into the game. The "easiest" way would be to simply show it as a video file (like the original). However, the coolest or "best" way, since Unity can import animations from a variety of software, might be to import each animation separately and play them all back dynamically in-engine. Similar to how lots of modern video games have cutscenes that are performed in-game in real time (example: GTA V https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V1s3-M1FMw)

If we went the second route, there would definitely be a lot more work involved, but it also opens up the ability to have individual character/objects animations done by different people in different software. Then everything would come together in one scene and be played back while Unity controls the camera, lighting, and island.

Edit: Also, going the second route could really show the "crowd developed" nature of the game, with each member's contribution being different. I think it potentially be pretty awesome.

Fluffy Cupcake

Oh by the way, I'm not really familiar with animating with anything but Source Filmmaker, so unless valve's dmx files are accepted by Unity (which I'm highly doubtful unity supports that), then it means that I have to export it as a video, or that instead I'd have to learn how to animate with any other given program out there (although I imagine it shouldn't be too much different, just a different interface), so there's that.

I take it the buildings update is also coming soon? I imagine you may have perhaps already started working on it, or that it is the very next thing on your to-do list.

Oh, and now that we have the racetrack, what's the news for that? I imagine that part of the game still isn't high priority just yet, but hey, imagine just walking around on it at least. That'd be neat.

Secondly, What does everyone think of model smoothing? Here's a couple examples of what I mean. [1] [2]

NO VERTEX WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THESE IMAGES, THEY JUST GOT PUT INTO SMOOTHING GROUPS.

My note: Everything looks great, except for the race track sides because they are the exact same colour as the road, this section of the island can excluded from smoothing if needed.

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.