LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

5 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Would anyone be up for the challenge of possibly recreating the original "intro" that plays when you start the game?

Well, I just tried to recreate Papa juggling three pizzas, but suddenly I got lost and confused about which pizza was which. I gave up when I discovered I would've had to redo the entire thing.

This was as far as I got as recreating it:

(And no, I'm not horrible at animating flying physical objects. I was copying the flight path of the Pizzas in the intro, frame for frame)

I place most of the blame on the quality of the intro, or just when two objects/items overlap each other, or how messily animated the intro is...

• Like 2

@Xiron I found a tutorial for using SFM models/animations within Unity (http://www.digitalzombie.de/2016/02/13/how-to-use-sfm-models-in-unity/) although I'm not sure how well it would work. 

I have the building/racetrack models so all I really have to do now is diff them with the original files I have and import them into Unity, which shouldn't take long. I at least plan to have the buildings in for v0.9.4 and hopefully the racetrack, too (although I'm not sure where, yet).

Smoothing out the sides of the terrain is a great idea. I'm just worried about having to re-import the Island again. The last time I did that, Unity calculated the normals differently and the only way for me to fix it was to restore from a backup. 

8 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Well, I just tried to recreate Papa juggling three pizzas, but suddenly I got lost and confused about which pizza was which. I gave up when I discovered I would've had to redo the entire thing.

Hahaha, this is great. It's at least a step in the right direction!

Fluffy Cupcake

@Ben24x7; Heh, I just fixed that Pepper model yesterday. I'll send an updated version to you in a bit. Otherwise, nice attempt!

That tutorial just looks like how to get a SFM model into Unity, which you don't really need to do since I've provided you with the model in .fbx already. I don't really see anything about animation on there. Quickly looking up I saw a tutorial somewhere about using Maya or whatever to export to valve's dmx animation format, NO idea if that's reversible though.

Well, since I last sent you the model I have since mega updated the rigging by a bunch, so you (or anyone wanting to animate attempt) can get the new version here. I've also included a .dmx so you can try messing with importing SFM animation to Unity if you like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p1pp0mx19c1see/NewClassicPepper.zip?dl=1

As for smoothing, I'm thinking it won't affect too much, but now I just need to find which version of the island I sent you since I have 4 saved for whatever reason, and all of them contain at least the bridges or buildings. :S

*sigh* can you just send me the one I sent you? It might be best to just work off that.

@Xiron I think the version of the Island that I'm using is from the original extraction of the World.wdb file I did. It doesn't have any bridges or buildings. I used primitive shapes to create bridges and covers where they were missing. Here's an example for the racetrack bridge: http://i.imgur.com/qBjFpCw.png

Here's the Island object file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6ues95ulkrpd97/AABXdnOTkdnQNZ159SZgD1TDa?dl=0

I'll take a look at that .dmx and see what I can do with it.

Edit: Using Source Tools for Blender, I can import the .dmx animation and export it as .fbx. However, the DMX file doesn't contain any models apparently since Blender and Unity are not showing models. I can import the animation (as an fbx) into Unity and run it, but the camera and lighting are lost. What really matters though are the animation steps. The lighting I could probably recreate, and for the camera rigging, I can probably just attach a scene camera to it. 

1 hour ago, bphillips09 said:

Edit: Using Source Tools for Blender, I can import the .dmx animation and export it as .fbx. However, the DMX file doesn't contain any models apparently...

In my limited time and knowledge of porting Source Engine animations to Blender, pasting a custom .dmx animaion file onto the model ported into Blender causes...   ...weird deformations...

NxdpIK5.jpg

M4LfpNz.jpg

Updated to v0.9.4. The changes and links are in the initial post.

Highlights: 

• New sky and lighting system
  • Underwater terrain and effects
  • Working elevator and observation tower
  • Added missing buildings and racetrack
  • Fixed 90% of collision issues
  • Added credits
  • Added "nightmare mode" :rf:
  • Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

A few things.

• You might want to put the info interior/exterior change detection box a tad more inside. You can still slip on outside the info center while having the interior view if you walk towards the wall when exiting.
  • Might there be a way to lower the elevator music volume until you actually set foot in it? Or at least reduce the radius as to where it can be heard from? You can kinda here it no matter where you are on the balcony if you listen for it.
  • Speaking of the balcony, yer gonna need some invisible walls there to prevent jumping out. ;)
  • Underwater, neat! Thought of changing the texture the underwater surface uses to that of the one on the beach yet?
  • If it's not too much to ask, think maybe we can use the boat in the next update?
  • Walking backwards immediately after entering the race track was the weirdest feeling ever.
  • You can't enter the race track with the car. :/

13 hours ago, Xiron said:

A few things.

• You might want to put the info interior/exterior change detection box a tad more inside. You can still slip on outside the info center while having the interior view if you walk towards the wall when exiting.
  • Might there be a way to lower the elevator music volume until you actually set foot in it? Or at least reduce the radius as to where it can be heard from? You can kinda here it no matter where you are on the balcony if you listen for it.
  • Speaking of the balcony, yer gonna need some invisible walls there to prevent jumping out. ;)
  • Underwater, neat! Thought of changing the texture the underwater surface uses to that of the one on the beach yet?
  • If it's not too much to ask, think maybe we can use the boat in the next update?
  • Walking backwards immediately after entering the race track was the weirdest feeling ever.
  • You can't enter the race track with the car. :/

1. I noticed that can happen sometimes. I'm still working on a balance between functional and seamless, but I'll have it figured out in the next build.
  2. I can lower the logarithmic roll-off distance so you can only hear it when inside the elevator.
  3. Jumping was supposed to be disabled when on the balcony, but I somehow must have messed that up before building.
  4. Technically it does have the same texture. The tiling on the surface model is messed up, not really sure how to fix that in-engine.
  5. That is going to be a difficult one... Unfortunately, there's no way for me to get the water height or level in any one specific area, so it would have to be very-simulated boat physics to be functional. I am using Unity's Water4 system. It looks much nicer than the old Water3 system, but removes scripting functionality. Without it, I can't get a water Y height at any XZ location. I'm considering using a different system entirely to regain this functionality. 
  6. I thought I fixed that as well, but I forgot to double-check before building.
  7. I will have a more proper racetrack in the next build!

12 hours ago, Ringtail said:

glad to see this great texture carried over from the original

I never noticed that before! I'll try to fix that. Also, if you're only getting 20FPS, you might want to lower your quality settings (Press "P" for the settings menu in-game).

To be honest I was considering to start my own Lego Island Remake project after I the only (sort of) remake I found was the atrocious Lego Island 3 project but then I came here and saw this thread and wasn't disappointed. I like how you managed to keep the island so true to the old one and put all the original building on it and have the Information Center interior up already with no separate cells/levels to transition between when you enter :). I do recall that the race track had two of those bench structures for the public, but I could be wrong :v.

I can't wait until the NPC's are coming in and their random shenanigans start showing up around the island :3. Also the mini-games should be getting an upgrade once they get implemented since most of them relied heavily on the player being unable to enter the grass in the old game, I'm willing to help brainstorming for solutions/upgrades for that :) Aside from that I think there should be a bit of control tweaking (will record soon to show you what I mean) and the car could use some faster startup acceleration ;) Also, I like the added nightmare mode xD Would be fun if you keep it in and make it twist the NPC's as well later on :P

As to what I had in mind for my project:
I was planning to make a remake of the original island like you did and then add a portal to a hub zone behind the door in the cave like the original devs originally planned for the next game in the series before they were reportedly fired (at least, I could recall that Mindscape fired the team to maximize profit in the bad time it was going through, correct me if I'm mistaken). In that hub I would've gone for making portals to other islands with the classic Lego sets of that time like Wild West, Pirates and what else at that time. I would also have loved to place portals to the islands used in Lego Island 2 and Island Xtreme Stunts. Could probably have put in a sort of progression unlock system where you just gradually unlock the portals to other islands but not sure if that would be beneficial to the freedom that I actually liked about the original game. And I would place a final portal to the final island which would be a new Lego Island with the elements of all three islands implemented to make a completely new fun to explore island with more mini-games, customization and what not.

Elemental to the initial project would've been contact with the guys who worked on the initial Lego Island on what they intended to do with the Super-2-Store and the Bank since I understood those two buildings were going to have interiors as well in the follow-up game. Plus the old team would probably also have a clearer idea on what the plans were for other themed islands to explore through the hub system.

I'm just leaving this here because I'm not sure whether or not to go through with this idea and I would like to just join in with general talk about ideas and collaborations in this thread (and community) ^_^

Dazzgracefulmoon

yo, I've been toying around with the most recent build of the redux, and I've come across a bug. anytime I jump off of the infocenter balcony the entire building dissapears, and going through the door does not load in the interior of the infocenter. here's a pic of what it looks like: GUAz79C.jpg

12 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

*SNIP*

Thank you for the feedback! I love all of these ideas and definitely want to implement a few of them down the road. 

2 hours ago, Dazzgracefulmoon said:

*SNIP*

Ahhh, yes, I was waiting for this to happen to someone. Jumping/"Unsticking" is supposed to be disabled on the third floor to prevent this, but I changed some code before building v0.9.4 and forgot to double-check. If it happens again, try entering the rotating door from the "outside", then going to the elevator and pressing "1". 

The interior is supposed to not be rendered when the elevator is on the third floor so it isn't seen by the player while they're up there. This works just fine when the player doesn't leave the observation tower, but obviously is a problem when they do. I changed my OnTriggerEnter code to OnTriggerStay but forgot to check the functionality before building the game.

I will probably build a v0.9.4.1 to fix those issues tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, Xiron said:

*SNIP*

Just noticed in your video that the on-screen controls are kinda messed up when a controller is connected. I will fix this too!

Edited by Terrev
please don't quote massive posts (especially with images/videos) and leave them intact, thanks - you can just snip them out like this

v0.9.4.1 is out. Links are in the original post.

This update fixes the issue with jumping/leaving the observation tower, activating the elevator from outside, and some other various bugs (mainly just data restoration issues and disabled animations).

Fluffy Cupcake
7 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

activating the elevator from outside

You can still reach the button from the outside.

Also, speaking of no-jumping on the balcony, if you look at the original, you will see the blue lines going horizontally and vertically across the sky, implying you are in the blue glass area at the top of the tower. I should probably make a model to reflect this.

Now the question is, should the window be full out transparent to be like the original, or have a blue tint to logically reflect the outwards appearance? I wouldn't make it super tinted, just lightly.

Edit: Sending updated balcony over, I also updated the floor to include the "big I" it was missing on the floor.

Also, what was the button to hold to control the paper airplane again? I forgot and can't figure that out. :S

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

You can still reach the button from the outside.

Also, speaking of no-jumping on the balcony, if you look at the original, you will see the blue lines going horizontally and vertically across the sky, implying you are in the blue glass area at the top of the tower. I should probably make a model to reflect this.

Now the question is, should the window be full out transparent to be like the original, or have a blue tint to logically reflect the outwards appearance? I wouldn't make it super tinted, just lightly.

Edit: Sending updated balcony over, I also updated the floor to include the "big I" it was missing on the floor.

Also, what was the button to hold to control the paper airplane again? I forgot and can't figure that out. :S

Thanks! I'll work on them more later. 

The plane control is arrow keys on keyboard (or D-Pad on most controllers)

Fluffy Cupcake

Alright. So I've got a new task for anyone to take up: You all know how you can only see one room, and even moreso just one wall on the interior of the hospital right? Well I want you guys to design an extended interior for the hospital! Construct it in LDD, sketch it on paper, I don't care! I just want to see your IDEAS!

There isn't really any restrictions on the design but it should be relatively fitting with the exterior, that being said, this is not a hard restriction, just a soft one (the Info centre is a good example of a building that breaks this already by its overall interior shape and size).

Responses to bphillips:

Okay I see arrow keys work which I wasn't using, but wasn't there also a key to hold to make the camera follow the last sent airplane instead of staying stationary at the balcony with you? If this wasn't a thing then I'm not sure where the idea came from haha.

Oh by the way, can we get a "are you sure you want to leave" dialogue after hitting to prevent accidental quitting please? :3

On 2016-11-30 at 1:24 PM, bphillips09 said:

Technically it does have the same texture. The tiling on the surface model is messed up, not really sure how to fix that in-engine.

Send the seafloor model my way and I can fix it.

By the way, I found a way to enable no-jump mode anywhere on the island.

1. Bring car to balcony

2. Exit car

3. Re-enter car

4. Escape balcony with Y

5. Exit car

6. Profit!?

6 hours ago, Xiron said:

Alright. So I've got a new task for anyone to take up: You all know how you can only see one room, and even moreso just one wall on the interior of the hospital right? Well I want you guys to design an extended interior for the hospital! Construct it in LDD, sketch it on paper, I don't care! I just want to see your IDEAS!

There isn't really any restrictions on the design but it should be relatively fitting with the exterior, that being said, this is not a hard restriction, just a soft one (the Info centre is a good example of a building that breaks this already by its overall interior shape and size).

I'll look what I can cook up. Also, I take it the part of the interior from the original LI has to carry over right?

Alright, I'm going to do the nescessary research and get some initial sketches up and post them here or do I have to send them by PM?

wasn't there also a key to hold to make the camera follow the last sent airplane instead of staying stationary at the balcony with you? If this wasn't a thing then I'm not sure where the idea came from haha.

There was, but I temporarily removed it since it caused lots of lag (more specifically, I didn't have a system in place to control which cameras were being set active so all planes had active cameras rendering at the same time with the most recently-launched plane camera being rendered on top). I will fix this for v0.9.5 though.

Oh by the way, can we get a "are you sure you want to leave" dialogue after hitting to prevent accidental quitting please? :3

Sure! Should it be a simple dialog box ("Are you sure you want to leave? YES/NO") or something more fitting?

Send the seafloor model my way and I can fix it.

Sending now. 

By the way, I found a way to enable no-jump mode anywhere on the island.

Hmmmmm.... very strange that OnTriggerExit() doesn't get called when the player's parent is the car object. This might possibly be a bug with Unity since all the other trigger methods are getting called just fine (like the areas where the music changes). I'll look into this but I don't think this will be a problem when "Unstick" isn't needed any more.

Fluffy Cupcake
1 minute ago, bphillips09 said:

This might possibly be a bug with Unity since all the other trigger methods are getting called just fine (like the areas where the music changes).

Actually, I noticed that when you drive in the water with the car the underwater effect to the music doesn't get applied.

2 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Sure! Should it be a simple dialog box ("Are you sure you want to leave? YES/NO") or something more fitting?

Well, if you want to make a little animation thing where the green+red bricks fly in and the "are you ready to leave?" voice clip plays then go for it. But as for right now this isn't really high priority so a simple Y/N popup would be plenty suffice for now.

Just now, Xiron said:

Actually, I noticed that when you drive in the water with the car the underwater effect to the music doesn't get applied.

Well, if you want to make a little animation thing where the green+red bricks fly in and the "are you ready to leave?" voice clip plays then go for it. But as for right now this isn't really high priority so a simple Y/N popup would be plenty suffice for now.

I noticed that, too. And the skybox reverts to single-color only. I completely forgot to apply all the camera effects to the car camera, so I'll do that now. 

Also, I'll probably do a combination of a dialog with the audio or something similar for now.

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.