LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Fluffy Cupcake
5 hours ago, Xiron said:

You know, if every building on LEGO Island wasn't made of 70% glass the interior job would be a lot easier, because we could probably just make the unseen faces on the island model invisible when inside if so.

Adding to this idea. What if some windows has blinds/curtains or some other thing to obstruct the window view? This is if we want to go the route of making some obstructing faces of the island invisible when entering the building whilst maintain consistency of accuracy with the exterior.

8 hours ago, Ringtail said:

i'd think a supermarket would be a bit bigger than that tho

To be honest they always said it is only a store called Super2, but to humor you I will also make a 2:1 build for comparison.

5 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Yeah we got pretty lucky with the major building being on an edge/corner where the interiors can hang over water. Still not entirely sure what to do about the gas station. Although aside from the entrance door, nothing else has to line-up or match with the exterior so we do have lots of room there. 

I remember I was going to make a small adjustment to the Garage exterior model to allow for that exterior-interior airlock I talked about earlier.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

Adding to this idea. What if some windows has blinds/curtains or some other thing to obstruct the window view? This is if we want to go the route of making some obstructing faces of the island invisible when entering the building whilst maintain consistency of accuracy with the exterior.

Well blinds would certainly work with building like the Police Station, the Bank, the Garage and the Hospital. Not sure about the Super2 Store or the Post Office though.

• 4 weeks later...

Update coming soon! I've been really busy this past month but I'm making lots of progress regardless.

Quick and dirty changelog: 

DONE: more collision fixes
DONE: underwater terrain tiling fixes
DONE: underwater/sky effects
DONE: updated engine to unity 5.5
DONE: observation tower fixes and enhancements
DONE: arrows in the infocenter
DONE: exit confirmation
DONE: new dynamic sun and sky system!
DONE: take the car onto the racetrack
DONE: car and skateboard use new interaction system
DONE: auto check for updates
NEEDS MORE WORK: model smoothing
NEEDS MORE WORK: racetrack gate
NEEDS MORE WORK: streetlights
NEEDS MORE WORK: pathfinding and AI

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

YUS. Thanks for keeping us updated! Can't wait to mess with these new implementations!

@Legorza somehow I missed that post the first time, nice updates to the interiors! I'll have to get a more proper look at them a bit later though.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Currently trying to figure out a bug that crashes the game when you try to quit... 

Should have the build up within the hour!

33 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Currently trying to figure out a bug that crashes the game when you try to quit...

Are you ready to le... Are you ready... Are.... Are you *BEEEEEEEEEP* *Crash*

Just waiting for the builds to finish now (it takes about 15 minutes). I made a simple batch file that auto-builds for all computer platforms, then compresses all the files so all I have to do is move it to my dropbox and share the link. Eventually I'll use the dropbox API to do that automatically. If anyone else is a Unity developer and is interested, I put the code here: http://pastebin.com/jayhh3KN (obviously you'll need to change the paths to what suits you, and download 7za for compressing if you want to use that too)

21 minutes ago, mumboking said:

Are you ready to le... Are you ready... Are.... Are you *BEEEEEEEEEP* *Crash*

Haha that's pretty much exactly what happens. Weird that it happens to the original game as well as REDUX.

I've also had a bunch of games randomly crash on exit. It's odd, because the game... well... you told it to exit, it just does it inelegantly. l405G.jpg

Updated to v0.9.5. The changes and links are in the initial post.

Highlights: 

• Dynamic sun and sky system! Watching the sunrise and sunset on the island is amazing.
  • Real-time streetlights (EXPERIMENTAL)
  • Pathfinding AI (EXPERIMENTAL)
  • Auto-check for updates
  • Exit confirmation
  • New settings
  • Lots of bug fixes

Please let me know of any issues, bugs, or crashes that you encounter!

25 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

I've also had a bunch of games randomly crash on exit. It's odd, because the game... well... you told it to exit, it just does it inelegantly. l405G.jpg

Haha yeah I don't really understand why this is a common issue in video games. I guess because lots of data saving (or disconnect-handling for online games) happens when the client quits. 

• Like 3

This is so great. To be frank, the main reason I came back to RRU was to see updates to this. I really really like the idea of playing LI without all those stupid boundaries. I am really looking forward to see how it will look in 1 or 2 years !

By the way, I've tried the latest version and there is a little bug; when you drive the car, and leave it while it's still in movement, it will start going really fast in straight line (mine disappeared in the water haha). Also, the music is a bit buggy, sometimes the music of an area keeps playing while I'm still in a different area.

Oh, and I have a question; do you think there is a way to ''reset'' the sky ? I changed the color and I can't get it back to what it was originally haha.

Fun fact, when an A.I. character gets into the car, the camera is parented to the car.

...so I pushed it around a bit, and realised when I spammed 'Y':

IIxU1aP.jpg

...the car tumbled in the air and I my perspective went flying.

rSwTgi1.jpg

Also, there is an interesting bug where, if you enable the experimental A.I, an A.I character gets into the car, and you turn the A.I off, the character in the vehicle still exists, and is still driving.

5 hours ago, Xana Lyoko said:

This is so great. To be frank, the main reason I came back to RRU was to see updates to this. I really really like the idea of playing LI without all those stupid boundaries. I am really looking forward to see how it will look in 1 or 2 years !

By the way, I've tried the latest version and there is a little bug; when you drive the car, and leave it while it's still in movement, it will start going really fast in straight line (mine disappeared in the water haha). Also, the music is a bit buggy, sometimes the music of an area keeps playing while I'm still in a different area.

Oh, and I have a question; do you think there is a way to ''reset'' the sky ? I changed the color and I can't get it back to what it was originally haha.

2 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Fun fact, when an A.I. character gets into the car, the camera is parented to the car.

...so I pushed it around a bit, and realised when I spammed 'Y':

...the car tumbled in the air and I my perspective went flying.

Also, there is an interesting bug where, if you enable the experimental A.I, an A.I character gets into the car, and you turn the A.I off, the character in the vehicle still exists, and is still driving.

The car has so many bugs it's hard to keep track haha. You can force the camera bug by getting in the car and going to the settings menu, then returning and walking around. I'll have them all fixed eventually, but for now at least I know the cause of the issues. Also, the Pepper model is supposed to be in the car when you are driving, since it's a slightly different model than the player character. But if this bug happens, the model doesn't get removed from the car.

Unfortunately, the sky can't really be "reset" since every time you change the color the previously-saved color is overwritten. There used to be a way to reset all the saved data back when I had the console implemented, but I will add that ability back in now.

The forum didn't send me notifications of activity anymore! D:

I'll take a look at the new release and I'll share what little stuff I've been working on throughout sickness and more stress at work :)

First off, really? xD  http://prnt.sc/e2aqnm

12 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Can someone make a walking animation using Xiron's model (in FBX or native from Maya/3DS Max/etc)?

Sadly I can't do that since I don't have any experience there.

Also about the subject of mini-games that we touched lightly on before I have some points/ideas:
- For the tow truck/delivery/ambulance missions moving over grass should have some sort of penalty, could be score deduction although a reduced movement speed would also be a logical option considering tow trucks, ambulances and skateboards aren't exactly made for off-road performances.

- I can see how the Post Office is potentially another type of delivery mission, possibly one where you have to go around on a bike to deliver all the mail to several buildings, thoughts?

- Supermarket's purpose for now is a big ??? since mini-game wise I don't see anything interesting aside from yet again some kind of delivery mission.

- Bank is really a big ??? since the only reason to have a bank is if there's money involved and as far as I know there hasn't been any mention of money or an economy on Lego Island.

Furthermore I was working on some designs for building interiors again, have been working on some hypothetical designs for additional islands and have been thinking about ways to change the Garage interior design so it doesn't conflict that much with the terrain. I will share those designs later when I'm done with them :)

Fluffy Cupcake
1 hour ago, DarkianMaker said:

For the tow truck/delivery/ambulance missions moving over grass should have some sort of penalty, could be score deduction although a reduced movement speed would also be a logical option considering tow trucks, ambulances and skateboards aren't exactly made for off-road performances.

I think the original game has some sort of timer running in the background (or perhaps a point drainer - starting at a fixed number and draining as time passes) to see how long it takes to reach your destination - it's how it handles your score. The timer could have like a x1.5 multiplier on it.

2 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

- Supermarket's purpose for now is a big ??? since mini-game wise I don't see anything interesting aside from yet again some kind of delivery mission.

I dunno, you need ingredients to make pizza, right? So you  could probably do something beyond just delivery. You go into the store, the items are hidden/scattered around (this is LI of course, so it's not going to be orderly). Once you find everything, you take them to the Brickolinis. Alternatively, you  could probably do sorting minigames, maybe stacking minigames, shelf-stocking... bunch of options, some more fun than others. :P

2 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

- Bank is really a big ??? since the only reason to have a bank is if there's money involved and as far as I know there hasn't been any mention of money or an economy on Lego Island.

You could get creative and store items besides money in the bank. :P

When you think about it there would be no life on Lego Island without Mama and Papa's tasty pizzas.

Do you have any plans for the mysterious door in the cave ?

10 hours ago, Xana Lyoko said:

When you think about it there would be no life on Lego Island without Mama and Papa's tasty pizzas.

B...but the Police's doughnuts!?

13 hours ago, mumboking said:

B...but the Police's doughnuts!?

don't tell anybody, but, in fact, laura and nick actually use the helicopter to get donuts from nearby islands

5 minutes ago, Xana Lyoko said:

don't tell anybody, but, in fact, laura and nick actually use the helicopter to get donuts from nearby islands

But how did they do that whilst the helicopter was disassembled up until the player came along to put it together? Massive plot hole my friend xD

I noticed a very strange bug. If you press "H", the sun becomes disabled (and you're left with a blank skybox even if it's nighttime). I'm not sure why this happens or even where it happens in the code... Hopefully I'll have it fixed for the next release!

Anyone else find any bugs I've missed so far?

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.