What do you guys think about the rock raiders sets vs the power miner sets?

AXEL99

lol username

People used to post topics like this a lot ~6-8 years back when Power Miners was more recent. The response can be summarized by how the Power Miners monsters were often compared to toilets and trash cans... I think the overall sentiment was that it didn't feel as epic or serious as Rock Raiders (the smaller and often comical monsters, the bright colors, the simpler story, etc). These days I think people tend to like it a bit more for what it is, but there hasn't been as much discussion about it.

Edit - The commercials/ads are a really good way to compare the tones of the two themes:

Spoiler

Rock Raiders was dark, mysterious and threatening in tone (especially the PC game), Power Miners was more loud and in your face, even somewhat cartoony.

I think the Power Miners sets had better play features (the drills geared to have two parts rotating in different directions were awesome), but that's mostly due to LEGO as a whole getting much better at that since the late 90s/early 2000s. I don't think the Power Miners color scheme is really bad but it's not what I'd choose if I were designing them.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

A youtuber known as "Nick on Planet Ripple" did an interesting video on the subject

Personally I prefer Rock Raiders but Power Miners is cool too and I appreciate Lego revisiting their older themes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.