Animation Inheriting

Stick

I turned the incomplete Spaceman from inside LSW's game files into an actual playable character. This was accomplished by taking animation files from other characters and placing them into the Spaceman's folder. It took me quite a while to find the perfect character to copy files from because many of the animations files from others were incompatible with the Spaceman's bone structure I assume and resulted in the character looking quite funny to say the least. Although the Spaceman plays well, it is noticeably missing an eye and a helmet.

Spoiler

Default: (without animations)

iNFByhD.jpg

yycHXZP.jpg

With Animations:

LfkMpJp.png

EPA4Mx7.png

• 1 year later...

unknown.png

He does actually have a helmet, it's just on layer 1. Setting all `layers` to 0,1,5 ensures that the helmet is visible at all times.

The animations I used are the Royal Guard, which appears to be what you used too. I think he should be compatible with any character that uses "old_blasterchar" animations, considering the Royal Guard uses "splat_old_blasterchar".

As for the eye... yeah, I don't think there's really a fix for that. I had the idea of removing the eye model and texturing it directly onto his face, but was expecting there to be an issue with finding where on the texture I'd have to put it and if it would even be possible, or if the pixels would be too large. Neither of those were the problem. It appears that the Spaceman doesn't even use a texture for the yellow. It must be part of the material data or something. On the bright side, if you turn bsa_default on, he blinks (winks?) his eye, so... yay?

He also lacks transparency in his legs. Instead of having actual holes, he just has textures to represent what the inside of the minifigure would look like, were holes to be placed there. He also lacks the peg on his head that every other character with a standard head has. I believe these all point to this character using a really old model, made and dropped before the decision was made to make models (mostly) accurate to real LEGO minifigures.

One really interesting thing about the minifigure itself that I observed is, he doesn't appear to be in any official LEGO sets. He's not the Classic Spaceman, since his chest is too detailed and he has a visible visor, but no other Spaceman even has that spaceship logo on them, at least from what I could find through all the Astronaut variations on the wiki page. It appears to be a unique design made specifically for LSW1.

• Like 3

lol username
2 hours ago, K1d_5h31d0n said:

On the bright side, if you turn bsa_default on, he blinks (winks?) his eye, so... yay?

Charming!

He also lacks transparency in his legs. Instead of having actual holes, he just has textures to represent what the inside of the minifigure would look like, were holes to be placed there. He also lacks the peg on his head that every other character with a standard head has. I believe these all point to this character using a really old model, made and dropped before the decision was made to make models (mostly) accurate to real LEGO minifigures.

It's been a long time since I've touched these games, but if I remember correctly, they didn't have fully modeled hollow legs until TCS, right? LSW1 and LSW2 just did the legs holes with textures (and I definitely remember when turning down minifigure detail in TCS via the options menu, most of the minifigures reverted to the LSW1/2 style, but not all of them...)

One really interesting thing about the minifigure itself that I observed is, he doesn't appear to be in any official LEGO sets. He's not the Classic Spaceman, since his chest is too detailed and he has a visible visor, but no other Spaceman even has that spaceship logo on them, at least from what I could find through all the Astronaut variations on the wiki page. It appears to be a unique design made specifically for LSW1.

He's from Launch Command:

https://brickset.com/minifigs/category-Town/subcategory-Launch-Command

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-town/subtheme-Launch-Command

• 2 years later...

Yeah! And, fun fact actually, according to LEGO Mania Magazine, she is named Becky Blastinoff, and she's from Evergreen, Alabama. 

• 8 months later...

Hey, apologies for the necropost... again... but I noticed my deadname appears in a quote here. If you see this, could you edit the comment to have my current name? Please and thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.