Occasional Crashes in Windows 10

TheJamsh

Recently I've been rekindling my love for the game once again.. I've followed the steps mentioned here to get the game running on Windows 10 and in all honesty it runs pretty much perfectly.

I am however, being constantly plagued by random crashes - which is forcing me to try and play through the levels as fast as possible just to make any progress. I can't seem to get through Ice Spy without crashing every 15-20 minutes or so, and I can't find the cause of it. The game will lock up, *some* audio will still play in the background then I'll get a crash-to-desktop.

Wondering if anybody else has run into this and if they have a solution?

With all the mod tools that have been made, I don't suppose anybody has access to PDB's or anything like that that we could use to debug the problem?

• Like 1

Alright.. perhaps this is related to something else. I ran the game again and low-and-behold the crash came back - but the game is still running in the background (I can hear "your air supply is running out" periodically when the game speed is set to max).

It appears that it's not LRR that's freezing. Perhaps it's dgVoodoo? I can't find anyway to test that though... I'm using version 2.53.

Update - reverted to version 2.52. Got through Ice Spy but the crash is still happening in the next level. Sort of stuck now really :/

qwopmaster

I'm experiencing the same issue!  I noticed that the game lags a little bit everytime a new soundtrack starts, and there's usually no music playing when there's a crash.  Could it be related to the audio?  I might try turning off the music (even though I love it and its very nostalgic!)

Well I actually don't have the music playing at all, I followed the instructions here: ps://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Lego_Rock_Raiders

...and the new .exe doesn't seem to require the disc at all. I don't have it in the physical tray or the ISO mounted while playing :( The most annoying part is that the game still seems to be running, it's just that it stops drawing anything. Sometimes it'll CTD, others it won't.

I'm still having this issue too, after disabling music, not sure what else to look into.  Wish I could play through a whole level but mine freezes after only like 10 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here! I do not have a clue what exactly causes the crash, it seems to happen on a completely random basis...

• 4 weeks later...
karshak1000

I also have the same problem it's completely random. Does anybody have a solution? The game is running fine otherwise.

Welcome to LRR!

More seriously, the game engine is incredibly unstable and will randomly crash at silly points in time.

Some crashes are known: the Sonic Blaster can cause a crash on several machines when used (unpredictably), making a building (with mods) require more than 40 ore will cause it to crash (if not constructed with studs). Surprisingly spamming 100 slugs a second because your slug script broke does not crash the game. OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

It appears to be unrelated to Idleness Syndrome, a similar but only slightly less devastating bug.

There is no known cause and no known cure. :| I'm not sure if boosting game speed allows you to 'get through missions quicker,' avoiding a crash, or not.

Either way, the best you can do is finish the level as quickly as possible...

• 3 weeks later...

Boosting the game speed seems to only increase the chances of crashing. It's weird since I never had this problem when playing the game on my old Windows XP laptop over a decade ago, but I guess this is because the game barely runs on anything past that. Oh well, guess I won't be finishing this game anytime soon, if ever.

16 hours ago, Example said:

Boosting the game speed seems to only increase the chances of crashing. It's weird since I never had this problem when playing the game on my old Windows XP laptop over a decade ago, but I guess this is because the game barely runs on anything past that. Oh well, guess I won't be finishing this game anytime soon, if ever.

Command line -testlevels (right-click LegoRR.exe -> create shortcut -> right-click this new shortcut -> properties  -> Target box -> put -testlevels at the very end of the Target box) will unlock all levels for you to play. So while you might not be able to complete it, you should at least be able to play any level you like.

At least it's running, which is an improvement!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
k_raider_nl

I ran into this issue too and I think I solved it. I consistently crashed the game on one of the first ice themed mission where you have to rescue 3 trapped Rock Raiders (not the mission where you need to cross a river). Instead of fixing the issue on my Windows 11 PC, I installed the game on my Windows 10 Laptop. Here is a list of plausible explainations for the fix. I can't guarantee any will work but I figured I would at least document this since other threads don't quite have a solution for this yet.

• More precisely following this guide: https://rockraidersunited.com/topic/8032-solution-lego-rock-raiders-on-windows-10/, which is based on this (https://rockraidersunited.com/guides/run-rock-raiders-in-windowed-mode-r3/) Setting the compatibility as instructed is the most likely fix.
  • This includes running the game in a window in its native resolution of 640x480. On my setup, this results in part of the window not being on screen which prevents scrolling the camera downwards and requires the arrow keys to turn the camera. It's not a good way to play the game, but you can get by.
  • Going from a machine with Windows 11 to one with Windows 10.
  • Going from a machine with AMD graphics to one with NVIDIA graphics. I read somewhere on the forums AMD cards are more often associated with problems.

If I find another mission/method to crash consistently I will update the thread. I did also have the error of the screen minus HUD going black. I think this happens when the game snaps the camera to a position on the map. Quit and restart the game and trigger the event by drilling in 1rst or 3rd person.

One final note: Both missions I got the crashes in at first have 2 things in common: They are missions with the ice tileset and they have reaching/revealing a spot on the map as the win condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.