Character icons for LEGO games

Jaideno

I was adding hidden characters in Lego Jurassic World in the collection.txt. When I played the game to test the characters, I noticed that they don't have their icons (The icons are pictures of the characters face). I really want to fix this but I don't know how! Someone help please!

Then how come if I go to STUFF > ICONS > CHARACTERS, the hidden characters do have icons but they are not showing up in the game.

Under SWC, the engine loads stuff\icons\starwars_icons_all_pc.gsc. Under very quick inspection, it doesn't appear to load the other files, although that could be wrong. If it is indeed the case, you'd have to edit the GSC file itself, and so far, I don't believe there are any tools available to do that. I'm planning to make one at some point, but right now I'm still very early in trying to understand the format, so it will be a while.

• 6 months later...
On 8/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, tzizi said:

Under SWC, the engine loads stuff\icons\starwars_icons_all_pc.gsc. Under very quick inspection, it doesn't appear to load the other files, although that could be wrong. If it is indeed the case, you'd have to edit the GSC file itself, and so far, I don't believe there are any tools available to do that. I'm planning to make one at some point, but right now I'm still very early in trying to understand the format, so it will be a while.

At least for LSW TCS, it appears that both are used. STARWARS_ICONS_ALL_PC.GSC appears to be what's initially loaded, as removing it makes each character icon in the shop empty unless you load that icon by playing as the character, and all character icons I add exhibit the same behavior since I'm not adding them to STARWARS_ICONS_ALL_PC.GSC, only as their own files.

As for tools for editing the format, yeah, there are none. However, the way GSCs store textures is incredibly simple. You can open up the GSC file and your desired character icon (preferably a 256x256 DXT5 DDS file with mipmaps, but I've had success with a PNG, a JPEG, and even a JPNG, an image format used by Bloons TD5 that's essentially JPEG + transparency. The image has to be no larger in file size than the original though) in a hex editor. Copy the character icon, then paste write it over the image file in the GSC file (the image starts where the text "DDS |" appears). If the icon has a smaller file size than the original DDS, then just null out the remaining image data in the GSC file.

This texture editing method can't be used to add more textures to a file, at least to my knowledge (someone can test that if they want), however it can be used to add new files with models identical to other files but using custom textures.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.