.MSH Textures/Scene Importing?

tylerlasagna

Hello,

For the past few days I've been attempting to import converted .msh objects into Blender in .obj format. I've noticed that using the msh2obj tool by Legomoe, and the other msh converter, that it is not producing textures or a .mtl file. Upon looking at the .obj files via text editor it shows no materials being assigned.

What I am wondering is if I am able to import/convert an entire scene (such as the first Island), into an modeling program? Specifically I'd like this imported in Blender, as I am more familiar with it. 

If not the entire scene, at least having the msh files produce textures. A point in the right direction is very much appreciated...

I noticed another user who packaged them into Unity, but unfortunately my efforts with exporting the package and extracting it proved fruitless.

Any help is incredibly appreciated. I've been working on this for about a week skimming through this forum looking for guidance but I've seemed to have hit a wall.

Thank you.

The core problem is that LEGO Island 2 is... unconventional, and defines what textures go on what models in the exe (among a thousand other things). It's effectively hardcoded. Which is probably technically possible to read with a tool, but nobody's done it. Same with the model positions/rotations etc... all in the exe. So until/unless someone writes a tool that takes the exe into account somehow, there's no automatic way to texture or position things. Good luck, it's been a pain for like 8-ish years now or however long it's been, haha.

16 hours ago, jamesster said:

The core problem is that LEGO Island 2 is... unconventional, and defines what textures go on what models in the exe (among a thousand other things). It's effectively hardcoded. Which is probably technically possible to read with a tool, but nobody's done it. Same with the model positions/rotations etc... all in the exe. So until/unless someone writes a tool that takes the exe into account somehow, there's no automatic way to texture or position things. Good luck, it's been a pain for like 8-ish years now or however long it's been, haha.

Hi jamesster, 

Thank you for the detailed post regarding my question, it's very appreciated.

While I'm sad to hear the circumstances regarding model/texture position, I'm curious to know if the member who packaged the Unity project with full textured/positioned models of each island manually placed everything? Pretty crazy to see how well it turned out regardless.

Thank you for the prompt response, it definitely helped understanding LI2's mysterious ways! ?

3 hours ago, tylerlasagna said:

I'm curious to know if the member who packaged the Unity project with full textured/positioned models of each island manually placed everything?

Don't know which member you're referring to but yes, there's currently no tools that can do it automatically. Closest you can get to is using the game's debug menu (aka windowed mode, can also be activated with this) to view the positions of each GOB (game object, presumably)... Though it doesn't show rotations of things, it appears to round positions slightly, and doesn't help with texturing things either.

30 minutes ago, jamesster said:

Don't know which member you're referring to but yes, there's currently no tools that can do it automatically. Closest you can get to is using the game's debug menu (aka windowed mode, can also be activated with this) to view the positions of each GOB (game object, presumably)... Though it doesn't show rotations of things, it appears to round positions slightly, and doesn't help with texturing things either.

He goes by the username tomfyhr here. 

Thankfully, by using an OBJ exporter and tomfyhr's unitypackage, I successfully imported the first Island into Blender. The community here is so dedicated and it's great to see, I'm grateful for all the hard work these talented users have brought forward. Thank you for the info and help!

Cheers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.