LEGO Island .wdb Extractor

Hamhock666

So I know it's been a long time, but I have gotten around to figuring out how to extract most of the other models in the WDB. I had to overhaul the entire old extractor, but it is working well after a long time of hacking away at it. The project is still on github, so here is the link to the source project:

https://github.com/LiamBrandt/WDBRipper

But most people will probably just want the exe, in which case here is the link to the direct download:

https://github.com/LiamBrandt/WDBRipper/releases/download/v0.2.0/wdb-ripper-v.0.2.0-binary.zip

I found the hospital (medcenter) and the race track, and a bunch of the models that were previously missing. The tool extracts 451 out of the 592 models, whereas the old one only did around 300. I have a feeling that with some more effort the rest of the models could be figured out, but most of them seem unimportant, and a bunch don't even have model data in them, just weird numbers that I don't know what they do.

o0bf1RA.png

Fluffy Cupcake

Yesssssssssssssssss. Yes yes yessssssssssssss. Thank you for your efforts!

Edit: I figured some of you might want to see the race track, so here are all the parts:

File name: bg-tun010

large.bg-tun010.png.391e9b20d3a340f70ff2

bg-tun020

large.bg-tun020.png.41fa37b1658b4aa2fe52

dome0

large.dome0.png.eaaba99f66495e3c3e422016

rcentr0

large.rc-entr0.png.00106df2167940733e96d

rcexit0

large.rc-exit0.png.9086c65c71c63c352d0d3

rc-midl0 (I moved the roof off this one for a better view)

large.rc-midl0.png.158225e55fa969530d240

tunnel010

large.tunnel010.png.b1ca23520a151cf73125

tunnel020

large.tunnel020.png.f76accdce57c9ef0c535

tunnel30

large.tunnel030.png.9ed0cfa74fbee9fba083

Oh, and have some popcorn

large.Popcorn.png.2cc091026bb43edc3830ab

Edit 2: And enjoy Terrev's stitched together version below.

Gotta fix the normals but if you wanna see what the racetrack looks like assembled, with and without the main island:

Bk8YdmZ.png

0F4h2hU.png

Yeeeaaaah... Don't think about it too hard ;P 

Fluffy Cupcake

There must be an magical wall past the edge of the island that makes everything behind it invisible.

2 minutes ago, Terrev said:

Yeeeaaaah... Don't think about it too hard ;P 

Oh, okay nevermind.

the racing minigame was a mistake

edit: ok looking at some more pictures that were posted on discord, you could fit the entire damn island into the last tunnel with the krakken and the firetruck. like what the hell why is this thing so monsterous, or is the island just tiny

12 hours ago, Hamhock666 said:

So I know it's been a long time, but I have gotten around to figuring out how to extract most of the other models in the WDB. I had to overhaul the entire old extractor, but it is working well after a long time of hacking away at it. The project is still on github, so here is the link to the source project:

https://github.com/LiamBrandt/WDBRipper

But most people will probably just want the exe, in which case here is the link to the direct download:

https://github.com/LiamBrandt/WDBRipper/releases/download/v0.2.0/wdb-ripper-v.0.2.0-binary.zip

I found the hospital (medcenter) and the race track, and a bunch of the models that were previously missing. The tool extracts 451 out of the 592 models, whereas the old one only did around 300. I have a feeling that with some more effort the rest of the models could be figured out, but most of them seem unimportant, and a bunch don't even have model data in them, just weird numbers that I don't know what they do.

o0bf1RA.png

How can you see textures? if you import obj you don't see them

Well this just saved me a buttload of time. I thought I would have to recreate the police station, jail, and a bunch of other things. You've rescued me from a terrible fate. Thank you.

• Like 2

@Hamhock666 YES!!! Thank you so much! You just gave me another reason to keep working on my LEGO Island Redux project.

Could @Hamhock666 or @Xiron or anyone else with all the new extracted models possibly send them to me (preferably the high LOD ones)? If not, I could extract them again but I'm currently super disorganized.

19 minutes ago, Ajax said:

what about the models in the three box in the scores room of the info center?

Ffrom what I remember I believe there was like a score cube and the panels with the playable characters on it, but I'm not sure if any other things extracted properly.

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

in which folder are them?

The score cube is in ./obj/ICUBE/sub1/SCORMAIN/ and its called scorcube0.obj

The character panels are in ./obj/IMAIN/sub1/BIOFRAME/ named bio1, bio2, etc

You might look in those folders for whatever you are looking for. If you can't find it, check the logs (lastlog.txt) and see if it actually extracted. If a bin file extracted with an error, it will have an "X" in the line instead of all "_"

Extraction success example:

./bin/ACT1\sub1\ambul.bin               ['_', '_', '_', '_', '_']

Extraction failure example:

./bin/ACT1\sub1\skeleton.bin            ['_', '_', 'X', 'X', 'X']

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

what about the models in the three box in the scores room of the info center?

I think those are just videos, not actual 3D objects.

actually I'm looking for an hard thing: the models that you can see inside the three box in the same room of the cube, that models could be interesting because are like brick building.

1 minute ago, mumboking said:

I think those are just videos, not actual 3D objects.

Yes maybe

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Yes maybe

They are definitely video or graphics of some sort, not 3d models, especially considering that the only models in the ICUBE folder are Cap.bin and scormain.bin.

So it turns out that in addition to the random gifs extracted to the gif folder, there are also models that don't belong in the folder hierarchy, as in they are not indexed in the table at the beginning of the wdb. I have a feeling that this is because these models are loaded when the game first boots up and are always loaded into memory, whereas non-essential models are loaded based on what part of the game you are on.

I think these models are the minifig models for the game. As with the other models, the extractor has had trouble extracting them, but there is definitely model data there. If I can get around to it this week I will try to update this tool with minifig support added. Here is a list of all the models not found in the wdb table that weren't extracted or even acknowledged before, in case anyone is interested:

9T6AKZo.png

Edited by Slimy Slug

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 11:26 PM, Hamhock666 said:

there are also models that don't belong in the folder hierarchy

Someone sent me a PM today asking if I had gotten the models for the minifigs. These models have now been extracted, although the wdb ripper is not updated to reflect it. I wanted to get this implemented into the extractor, but I honestly haven't had time. Instead, I found a messy way to get the models out, so I have them for anyone that wants them. Although most people already have minifig models, these are the original ones. Make sure to read the README file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygssmf0lwwrey2c/extra_li_models.zip?dl=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• lol username featured this topic
  • ShadowDraikana pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.