Higher Resolution Textures [Upscaled, less blurry/noisy]

dorpz

WARNING: This texture pack is rather large when unpacked (1.35 GB) and may cause performance issues on some older systems. 

I made this pack because the UI graphics look so blurry on a 1080p monitor.

This texture pack contains every texture in the game which has been upscaled and has had noise reduction and sharpening, making it less blurry. Fonts are still blurry.

The level of upscaling is as follows:

UI elements such as the HUD, menus, backgrounds, chat heads, indicators etc. have been upscaled to 4 times the original, making them extra crisp (other than the fonts, couldn't get them to work well).

Everything else like textures for 3d objects, people etc. has been upscaled to 2 times the original, this makes a mild increase in visual fidelity but isn't breathtaking.

I cannot guarantee these will work flawlessly, this is my first venture in to modding Lego Racers 2, so please use at your own risk.

To install extract the game data folder from the downloaded rar and place it into your lego racers 2 main directory, provided you have already unpacked your game files and patched your game with 

For those interested in the method of how these files were created, I first "converted" (renamed) the game's MIP files to tga, I then ran them through a program called Waifu2x which is an amazing piece of software, then the software took an hour or so to make all the files all crispy looking and after that I turned all the tgas back to MIP and boom, that was that. 

Here are some screenshot/comparisons of the menus, I didn't get any in-race shots as I have no idea how to position myself in the same way twice.

You'll have to zoom in to notice any changes, it is very subtle and was barely worth the effort, honestly.

c9AV05I.jpg

u7Nubz2.jpg

PMSj2Y8.png

Wow, that's quite some first post! O.O Welcome to RRU!

They look quite nice! As you say, there's only a little change - especially considering even with new textures the models are still... low-poly, to say the least. But it's nice!

2 hours ago, dorpz said:

I first "converted" (renamed) the game's MIP files to tga,

If you did this by hand I pity you D:Batch is a nifty thing that requires minimal effort (mostly copy & pasting code off the internet :P) and can make tedious jobs like that a lot faster.

2 hours ago, dorpz said:

Here are some screenshot/comparisons of the menus, I didn't get any in-race shots as I have no idea how to position myself in the same way twice.

Just starting the race and using that point to take your pictures should do fine!

10 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Wow, that's quite some first post! O.O Welcome to RRU!

They look quite nice! As you say, there's only a little change - especially considering even with new textures the models are still... low-poly, to say the least. But it's nice!

Thank you, I've often lurked here but I decided to give it a go. 

If you did this by hand I pity you D:Batch is a nifty thing that requires minimal effort (mostly copy & pasting code off the internet :P) and can make tedious jobs like that a lot faster.

Thankfully I already knew about doing it through cmd so I was able to rename all the files in one fell swoop! If I had to do it one by one I simply wouldn't have done it :D

Just starting the race and using that point to take your pictures should do fine!

I should have thought about that! I didn't backup the original files so I guess its too late to do that now, still thanks for the idea.

Fluffy Cupcake
14 hours ago, dorpz said:

Lock the camera in place using this cheat table.. Be sure to save the coordinate and rotational values into a notepad file before closing the game, and paste them back in after you've relaunched.

• 2 years later...
bradleybrand

Just to say... each time I download this file and open it, I get a diagnostic message of "Unexpected end of archive" with the options to "Close", "Break operation" and "Copy to clipboard". I am not sure what's wrong with the .rar file.

I get the same error, but almost everything extracts anyways. It seems like there's a single corrupt file. Try extracting everything and ignore the error, then see if it works in game. Maybe don't overwrite that broken file just in case.

!   C:\Users\Lego\Downloads\LR2Upscaled.rar: Unexpected end of archive
!   C:\Users\Lego\Downloads\LR2Upscaled.rar: Checksum error in game data\EDITOR GEN\TERRAIN\SANDY ISLAND\TEXTURE7.MIP. The file is corrupt
!   C:\Users\Lego\Downloads\LR2Upscaled.rar: Unexpected end of archive

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.