Discussion: Closing the Discord server

Crystalyzer

Discord server's future  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done with the Discord server?

• We should look into moving more things to the Discord, potentially migrating aspects of the forum (if possible) there.
    • Nothing, I'm fine with the current situation.
    • Make Discord our off-topic environment; keep RRU content on the forum.
    • Start dismantling the Discord server after some announcements to our members.

Hi everyone,

So I've heard quite a couple of people say that they think the RRU forum is dead or dying, and that a lot of the discourse has moved to, Discord. Whilst I think this is a natural development - seeing as that Discord servers have been increasing in popularity and becoming more numerous all together - it seems detrimental to the continuity and the future of our cozy little Lego club. 

I'm aware of the benefits that Discord brings, as well as of the disadvantages of the forum. Discord supplies us with a much more instantanious form of communication and the ability to call, share screens, and engage socially in other ways. Especially when synergizing/brainstorming about user projects and mods, this is very handy. 

Having said that: the benefits that the forum provides us with that we don't find in the Discord server, outweigh those of the Discord server. Primarily the loss of conversations and what follows from discussions due to the temporal nature of chat channels, as well as no form of categorization being present (boards, threads, topics), seems to be the problem. Mostly everything on our Discord is temporary; fire and forget. Maybe this is not the case to some who are active every day, but it is to anyone who isn't amongst those few. 

I am curious about what everyone thinks of potentially closing the Discord server and moving back to the forum as our main means of communication. Also, if you have alternative solutions to the problems named above (that doesn't involve a Discord exodus) please share them; I'll add them here.

Lastly: I myself am fine with there not being a Discord server and I know that our most dedicated raiders are pretty active on there. But realize that it's you who are the main forces in our community, responsible for creating most of the (interesting) content. The 90% least-active users don't read Discord everyday, so they miss out on the majority of new content and discussions that would otherwise end up on the forum. Compare it to gamers who stream: their most dedicated fans watch all their streams live, yet the majority of their views come from the clips/sessions they upload to YouTube (assuming they upload them at all). Only in our situation, nothing is archived or uploaded for everyone to see. You can see what this could potentially mean for the future of RRU.

Kind regards,

Crystalyzer

P.S. I've added a poll with public vote results (to encourage discussion amongst ourselves). 
P.P.S. Just a disclaimer: I'm by no means an active user. I just thought this topic warrants a discussion, so I took the initiative and wrote the initial post.

Edited by Crystalyzer
wanted to write a disclaimer

So a good few comments are currently being made on the Discord server after I posted a link to this topic. They're in the off-topic channel. I hope you can find them after reading this. :)

I have no idea what goes on in the Discord server, but I'm a big believer in making good use of one of the internet's greatest strengths - that it's a huge publicly-accessible resource. How many times have you looked for a solution to a problem, and found the answer in some 12-year-old thread on an obscure forum? Keeping all the important bits in a Discord server, private or not, kinda ruins any chances of all the helpful stuff discussed there ever helping anyone in the future.

I'd imagine that almost all the users here wouldn't exist if the forum didn't have some thread that they stumbled upon from a google search.

Is there some way to integrate Discord into the forum itself? RRU used to have a chatbox anyway, maybe forum tech has come forward a fair bit since then?

• Like 3

• Administrators

I caught this discussion a little late since I was working, but there was one thing you posted in Discord that I want to address.

Because, as I mention in my forum post, I feel the benefits of the forum outweigh the benefits of Discord, and Discord threatens the forum in terms of how much longer it will be there.

I'd like to be clear in case you're implying that the forum would be shut down in favor of Discord or whatever else. This forum will NEVER be shut down as long as I am in control of it. I have tons of money in savings and a desire to keep the information here online as long as possible, so the only way it's going down is if I get hit by a truck and ownership doesn't get transferred to anyone. That's a pretty small risk; I don't go outside much.

I'm still of the belief that active research and such can happen on Discord and results should be posted here. People in the future don't need to know the nitty-gritty behind reverse engineering, failed attempts to contact former developers, or weird situations that arise when someone shows up out of nowhere with a request to recover data from company hard drives he "obtained." They only need to know what we did and how we did it. That's just for modding though. People showing off MOCs, gameplay videos, and other neat things should be posted in the forums unless it's some little thing you want to show to get feedback or whatever. I'm not going to scroll through five different channels just to see if someone posted something yesterday, but I can check to see which threads are marked as unread here. It's the classic experience that doesn't demand my constant attention.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cirevam said:

This forum will NEVER be shut down as long as I am in control of it. I have tons of money in savings and a desire to keep the information here online as long as possible, so the only way it's going down is if I get hit by a truck and ownership doesn't get transferred to anyone. That's a pretty small risk; I don't go outside much.

I presumed it could happen, but this is good news! Thanks for clearing that up, I guess you can understand where I was coming from.

8 hours ago, Cirevam said:

I'm not going to scroll through five different channels just to see if someone posted something yesterday, but I can check to see which threads are marked as unread here.

Indeed, and I think it's a shame because (I assume) people post interesting stuff all the time in the Discord and that stuff gets lost in the stream of messages.

On the Discord people argued that they don't want everything they say to be archived, which I fully agree with. I think it's better to look at it from a different perspective though: the original forum conversations. I can't speak for others, but for me posting on a forum has always been more than just chatting up some people in an online chatroom. You're making a statement, a point, an argument, instructions, explanations, personal and professional opinions... It's up to you to decide what to write and what not to write. You know it's going to be out there for other (anonymous) people to read, so you put some extra effort in. Discord feels, in that regard, like a safe space where none of that applies which inevitably leads to lower quality discussions. 

Lastly, there were some other insightful (and slightly agitated) comments on the Discord discussion that I think were valuable, but it's up to those people to post them here; I'll quote someone like @Cirevam did with me if I think it applies to my original post. (btw, thanks Cirevam for quoting me like that, I've never been quoted cross-platform before and it's nice, I think.)

Edit: @JimbobJeffers You made some very valid points btw. For me that's exactly how I saw the internet and how I found RRU. EE Heaven is one of such communities that has posts from before I saw my first YT video that I still found relevant last year when reinstalling Empire Earth 1. And there are lots of those communities around the web, sadly not all with such dedicated admins as we have.

• 2 months later...

Delete the Discord? B-but where will the circle-jerk go to?!

Lmao, delete it. nobody ever posted anything of worth outside of the modding pages (which, almost always got posted here as well)  If you wanted a general LEGO discussion then there's a million other FAR BETTER places then RRU. 

Some muppet insta-banned me for doing a little bit of trolling to some geek who was clear-as-day trying to start an argument and "stir the pot" so to speak (something this person did often, even though it was explicitly against the rules) Gives you an idea what it was like. 

• Like 1
  • Suprised 1