Realistic Illustration of Chief

IAmFozzieBear

IAmFozzieBear

UjHzlZM.jpg

New to this group so thought this would be a cool introduction! I played the PC version of Rock Raiders when it released and fell in love with the music, characters, and overall aesthetic of the game. Around that time I had several of the Lego sets but later on all the pieces got lost or put in storage. It wasn't until a few years ago that I went ahead and bought all the sets again including some I never owned before. I also bought Pohatu (with his original canister/disc) and did a realistic drawing of him. This started a series of realistic interpretations of Lego mini figures including one from Ice Planet (2002) and a Zotaxian from the UFO 1997 sets. So being a huge fan of Rock Raiders I want to do realistic illustrations of all the characters from the Rock Raiders sets so thought I'd start with Chief. 

Hello there! Nice to see professional illustrations on RRU : ). I don't really remember many other comparable examples on this site (there are more examples from other sites like DeviantArt). A few years back (2 or 3?) a comic artist posted a picture of the Granite Grinder (and probably other pictures), but there wasn't any further activity. RRU also has an art thread (and sometimes members made separate ones), but they are basically all inactive now (I tried to revive one, but it didn't work).

I like the addition (or rather change) of the mechanical arm since the original was just a simple turquoise pipe (to be fair: it's a minifigure and the print options were more limited back then). In theory you could argue that a protective cover like for industrial robots would be more realistic, but on the other side it would just look lame and like something wrapped in foil XD. By the way: Is there a part that you personally found the most challenging or interesting?

• Like 1

I love the juxtaposition of Chief's gritty mining aesthetic and that loving smile at his holographic bulldozer. 

This is a picture of a dude that loves what he does. ❤️

• 4 weeks later...
trigger_segfault

Wow, this is legendary! It really does justice to the original art-style of the game.

I never stopped to consider why Chief's arm used a teal color before. This is now canon in my mind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.