How to install / use a LR2 trainer to play as Riegel's Mech & Berg?

DOM098652

Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out here. I've recently returned to playing LR2 for the first time in about 18 years for the nostalgia. I've always wanted to play as Riegel's Mech & Berg and have seen videos on YouTube, but no tutorials. I've been reading through most of the topics and comments on this forum, trying to figure out how, with no luck.

I've seen 2 other topics relating to playing as Riegel's Mech or Berg and both seem to be directed towards the 'LEGO Racers 2 Cheat Engine Hacks' topic posted by kajeuter (Home > LEGO Video Games > Game Discussion > LEGO Racers 2 Cheat Engine Hacks). On this topic I've seen a lot of comments about broken links etc and tried downloading the most recent link posted 17th November 2015 by Mysteli who I believe is Xir / Xiron from what I've gathered from other forum posts. I unpacked the download and got 'LR2 Ingame Cheats Changer' & 'LR2 Bonus Game Challenger' but no readme.txt and from running each application, I can't see anything relating to playing as Riegel's Mech or Berg.

I'm not sure if these two applications by Xiron are even what I'm looking for to make this possible, or whether it's another cheat engine by kajeuter I'm looking for. I've seen a few other comments about changing values / pointers in the CE file but have no idea how or what any of it means. Hoping someone can direct me to a correct link with a readme.txt or tutorial on how to do this. I can't find a clear answer online anywhere which is why I've come here to ask the forum and feel like some input or step-by-step from people who have done this before could really help me and others looking to do the same thing.

Thanks!

• DOM098652 changed the title to How to install / use a LR2 trainer to play as Riegel's Mech & Berg?
6 hours ago, Mysteli said:

Hi, the file you are looking for is the reuploaded kajeuter's cheat table,

Here is the cheat table in side-by-side with the read-me (I don't have the game currently installed so the values are ?? for me)
Cheat-Table.png

Also Xir is superseded by my current name. ;)

Thanks for the quick response! This is super helpful and seems to be the exact file I was looking for and the read-me seems to explain everything very well. The only thing I'm not sure about is how to open the cheat table (.ct) because in the read-me it says you need 'Cheat Engine 5.4 or higher'. Is this referring to a separate program or application needed to open and edit the cheats table? 'TheCheats.CT' is the only file alongside the read-me that came with the download. Thanks again!

On 12/30/2021 at 4:06 AM, DOM098652 said:

Thanks for the quick response! This is super helpful and seems to be the exact file I was looking for and the read-me seems to explain everything very well. The only thing I'm not sure about is how to open the cheat table (.ct) because in the read-me it says you need 'Cheat Engine 5.4 or higher'. Is this referring to a separate program or application needed to open and edit the cheats table? 'TheCheats.CT' is the only file alongside the read-me that came with the download. Thanks again!

You'll need the CE tool itself, Cheat Engine, which is an entirely separate download far away from RRU (just google it!) for this to work.

(I think. Never actually used this myself :P )

On 12/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, aidenpons said:

You'll need the CE tool itself, Cheat Engine, which is an entirely separate download far away from RRU (just google it!) for this to work.

(I think. Never actually used this myself :P )

Thanks, I had researched the program yesterday but didn't have time to try it out and learn how it works. However, I've finally figured out how to get everything working so I'll do a write up below for anyone else wanting to do this:

UPDATED:

1. Install LEGO Racers 2 from the CD disc - if you get the 'Not enough memory' error from the installer, you can either put the disc's installer into compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 or use le717's LEGO Racers 2 installer to get the data from the disc to install to your modern PC. (The reason for the 'Not enough memory' error is because the game was released in 2001 and older PCs back then didn't have as much memory as they do now, so I believe if your PC has over 1GB of RAM, the disc's installer will get confused and refuse to install).

2. Download kajeuter's cheat table from the RRU file database here

OR...

From the Mediafire link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wr75wgd1i1d6zvg/Kajeuter%27s_LR2_Hacks.zip/file

3. Download and install Cheat Engine 5.4 or higher, I used Cheat Engine 7.2 ****BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU DOWNLOAD CHEAT ENGINE FROM! MANY DOWNLOADS CONTAIN A TROJAN VIRUS, EVEN ON CERTAIN DOWNLOAD LINKS ON THE OFFICIAL CHEATENGINE.ORG WEBSITE!**** I watched a YouTube video (link here) on how to download it from cheatengine.org as a clean install file, without any viruses or having to go through an installer.

4. Launch Cheat Engine and then start the LEGO Racers 2 game. Tab out of the game and go back to Cheat Engine, look for the computer monitor / screen icon at the top left of the program, it should say 'select a process to open' when you put your mouse arrow over the icon. Click the icon and here is where you will be selecting the game that you want Cheat Engine to apply cheats to. In this case, find LEGO Racers 2 and click on it to select it (should be highlighted blue) and then click the 'open' button.

5. Now that you've told Cheat Engine to apply cheats to LEGO Racers 2, you can now open kajeuter's cheats table into the program. To do this, again look towards the top left of the program and next to the monitor icon should be a folder icon with a green arrow which should read 'open a cheat table'... Select this and navigate to wherever you saved your kajeuter's cheat table download to and open it into Cheat Engine.

6. Now you have the cheat table loaded in, you will see all of the entries ranging from 1.1 all the way up to 10.0 you'll now want to refer to kajeuter's read-me file because it will tell you which entries you want to edit in order to edit the player's car and character. In this case, if you are wanting to play as Riegel's Mech or Berg, you will be looking at the 3.0 and 6.0 section in the read-me file. When kajeuter mentions 3.0 being for special cars, he is referring to all the entries that start with 3, you won't actually have a 3.0 entry in Cheat Engine. You will have 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc... all the way up to 3.8, the reason for this is most races in the game have 8 characters maximum racing at once, including the player. 'Car 1: Special' is always the player's car because your car always starts in position 1 in front of all the other racers at the lights. So from this you can work out that the 3.1 entry is the first of the 8 racers (always the player) and it is labelled 'Car 1: Special' (as mentioned, this is always the player's car). Whereas the 3.2 entry labelled 'Car 2: Special' would be the second of the 8 racers, which is one of the other 7 non-player controlled racers you drive against.

7. Now that I've made this more clear, you'll see in the read-me under the 3.0 section specifically for changing the cars, that the value for Riegel's Mech is '2' and the value for Berg is '4'. Look for the '3.1 Car 1: Special' entry in Cheat Engine and look for the number under the 'Value' category, you will see the default is 1. Double click on this number and you can change it to 2 for Riegel's Mech or 4 for Berg. MOST IMPORTANTLY now that you've changed the number, you will need to click in the box under the 'Active' category on the far left side of the 3.1 entry to check it, this will ensure the cheats stays activated.

8. I don't think it's necessary to change the player's character to use Riegel's Mech or Berg, however if you wanted to set your character to Riegel, look for the 6.0 section specifically for changing characters in the read-me file and you will see the value for Riegel is 46. All the same applies for any entries starting with 6, '6.1 Car 1: Character' will be the player's character, the other 6.2 - 6.8 will be the other 7 non-player controlled racers you drive against who's characters and vehicles can also be changed in the same way if you'd like. Look for the '6.1 Car 1: Character' entry in Cheat Engine and look for the number under the 'Value' category, double click on this number and change it to 46 for Riegel. Again, now that you've changed the number, you will need to click in the box under the 'Active' category on the far left side of the 6.1 entry to check it, this will ensure the cheats stays activated. After doing some more experimenting, it seems like changing the character in the 6.1 entry doesn't seem to have any effect on the player's character in Arcade or Adventure mode, however when going AFK in the main menu, the game plays a random race action replay which the player isn't seen in, but this seems to edit racer 1 for this AFK action replay... But this method will still successfully change the character of any of the other 7 non-player controlled characters that you change the value of, from 6.2 - 6.8.

9. Leave Cheat Engine open and now you can simply tab back into your game. I would recommend playing in Adventure mode, avoid Arcade mode if you can. Playing as Riegel's Mech or Berg in Arcade mode seems to be very glitchy and it likes to rubber-band the player back to random positions and get stuck under the map. It seems best to play Adventure mode, however there is a trick to doing this. Before you load into Adventure mode you must make sure the '3.1 Car 1: Special' entry has it's value set to '1'. This is because if you are in any of the world's hubs other than Sandy Bay (which is open free-roam), you will need to interact / talk with Sparky to choose EXPLORE to free-roam each world. If you load into Adventure with your value set at '2' or '4' playing as Riegel's Mech or Berg then you won't be able to interact or talk to Sparky to enter the Explore mode. This is why you must load into Adventure with the value set to '1' THEN BEFORE TALKING TO SPARKY, tab out and change the value to '2' or '4'. You can now talk to Sparky and enter the Explore mode on whichever world you are on and when it loads in you will be playing as Riegel's Mech or Berg. IF YOU WANT TO EXIT EXPLORE to change worlds then you must tab out before quitting Explore and change the value back to 1, or you cannot use any of the world hub's portals to return to Sandy Bay and go to another world. If you want to go to another world just leave the value on '1' and return to Sandy Bay through the portal, then go to the desired world fast travel and go there. Again, once you get inside the desired world hub, just tab out and change to your desired value before talking to Sparky and then enter Explore and you can play as Riegel's Mech or Berg on another world. If you want to free-roam on Sandy Bay, you will need to make sure you are in Sandy Bay in Adventure mode, save your game and exit to the main menu. Now tab out and change to your desired value and then continue game in Adventure mode and you will be Riegel's Mech or Berg in Sandy Bay free-roam. If you would still like to try Arcade mode, just make sure your desired values are set at the main menu and select Arcade mode. Pick whichever world, race and number of laps you'd like, it doesn't matter which name, character or car you pick, once you load in you will be playing as your desired car and character. Just remember, I experienced rubber banding and getting stuck under the map in Arcade races, but you can try and see if it will be any different for you.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 2

Very comprehensively written, well done!

On 12/31/2021 at 4:09 PM, DOM098652 said:

1. Install LEGO Racers 2 from the CD disc - if you get the 'Not enough memory' error from the disc's installer, simply search online for a working installer because people have re-written an installer to get the data from the disc to install to your modern PC. (The reason for the 'Not enough memory' error is because the game released in 2001 and older PCs back then didn't have as much memory as they do now so I believe if your PC has over 1GB of RAM, the disc's installer will get confused and refuse to install.)

You don't need to search for a working installer if this happens - you just need to throw the disc's installer in compatibility mode for XP SP2. Oh, and for the record, le717 has a nice thread with his alternate installers, although that's not every one on the site (there are a bunch of manual ones for LRR, for instance)

I've also taken the liberty of putting the file on RRU's Files database since Mediafire has a long history of eating up RRU's downloads.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:16 AM, aidenpons said:

Very comprehensively written, well done!

You don't need to search for a working installer if this happens - you just need to throw the disc's installer in compatibility mode for XP SP2. Oh, and for the record, le717 has a nice thread with his alternate installers, although that's not every one on the site (there are a bunch of manual ones for LRR, for instance)

I've also taken the liberty of putting the file on RRU's Files database since Mediafire has a long history of eating up RRU's downloads.

Thank you!

I tried to write it so a total beginner not knowing where to start, could do the same as I did.

That's very handy to know so other's won't have to search online for an installer and can put the disc's installer into compatibility mode for XP SP2 or use le717's installer!

Thanks for uploading kajeuter's cheat table to RRU, that should be really helpful as a preferred download alternative, especially in case the Mediafire link ever goes dead.

I have updated my guide with your links to the RRU file database and le717's installer, alongside re-writing some areas with my updated findings. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.