A Lost Rock Raider Has Been Found!

Antillies

Some of you may remember my attempt in 2017 to capture the feeling of Rock Raiders through photos.  I commented that though some of the pictures that time around were interesting, I wasn't able to achieve the exactness when it came to matching the aesthetic as I had hope.

Well, I had some time and the will to again make another attempt these past two weeks when I again had access to my LEGO's.  With a bit more forethought and planning, and gathering some more tools, I produced the below images.  I feel this attempt did a significantly better job in capturing the aesthetic of the Rock Raider world - though the exact extent of which I will leave up to you all.

The two things I would like to explore in the future, if I have time and the ability, would be to feature the electric fence (I had meant to but ran out of time) and include power paths.  The lighting for power paths is a little more tricky but I'm sure I can find a way, if it doesn't end up looking too awkward.

Hope there's some images here that everyone can enjoy.

Image 1

Spoiler

large.0.jpg

Image 2

Spoiler

large.1.jpg

Image 3

Spoiler

large.2.jpg

Image 4

Spoiler

large.3.jpg

Image 5

Spoiler

To those familiar with the game, Images 5 -7 are nods to one of my favorite cinematic in the game, the one that starts with Docs handing Axel a clipboard and quickly turns into them having to escape an onrushing wall of lava.

large.4.jpg

Image 6

Spoiler

Here we see Docs holding on for dear life as the wall of lava follows closely behind the fleeing raiders.

large.5.jpg

Image 7

Spoiler

large.6.jpg

Image 8

Spoiler

large.8.jpg

Image 9

Spoiler

large.9.jpg

Image 10

Spoiler

large_10.jpg

Image 11

Spoiler

large_11.jpg

Image 12

Spoiler

large_12.jpg

Image 13

Spoiler

large_13.jpg

Image 14

Spoiler

large_14.jpg

Image 15

Spoiler

large_15.jpg

Image 16

Spoiler

large_16.jpg

Image 17

Spoiler

large_17.jpg

Image 18

Spoiler

large_18.jpg

Image 19

Spoiler

large_19.jpg

Image 20

Spoiler

large_20.jpg

Image 21

Spoiler

large_21.jpg

Image 22

Spoiler

large_22.jpg

Image 23

Spoiler

large_23.jpg

Image 24

Spoiler

large_24.jpg

Image 25

Spoiler

large_25.jpg

Image 26

Spoiler

large_26.jpg

Image 27

Spoiler

large_27.jpg

Image 28

Spoiler

large_28.jpg

Image 29

Spoiler

large_29.jpg

Image 30

Spoiler

large_30.jpg

Image 31

Spoiler

large_31.jpg

Image 32

Spoiler

large_32.jpg

Image 33

Spoiler

Image 33 is an homage to a screenshot that Cyrem captured while messing with the game.  It was a beautiful in-game image and wanted to pay credit to it here.

large_33.jpg

• ShadowDraikana featured this topic
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

These shots look absolutely amazing, very well done!

Images 16 and 17 stand out with the gloomy lighting and sense of terror at the presence of a monster, action stations lighting blanketing the caverns.  Image 17 in particular looks just so good with the glowing eyes, looming around the corner.  

I could go on but again, these are fantastic and I'm so glad you put this together.  Looking forward to seeing Power Paths and Electric Fences in the future, should you do those as well.

So many of these are so good that it's hard to pick a favorite. Maybe #24? It's the iconic crystal. #5 is really good too. I love the atmosphere and composition. Really nice work all around.

14 hours ago, Slimy Slug said:

These shots look absolutely amazing, very well done!

Images 16 and 17 stand out with the gloomy lighting and sense of terror at the presence of a monster, action stations lighting blanketing the caverns.  Image 17 in particular looks just so good with the glowing eyes, looming around the corner.  

Thank you for the kind words.  Image 16 & 17 turned out far better than I could have hoped!  I went into that setup wanting to have the raider behind the wall, cowering, and the rock monster right there.  I didn't think it would be one of the better shots but I was trying to capture that sort of humorous fear that's present in the game and ended up with a shot that surpassed (at least my) expectations.  All due credit to the LED's I used for the eyes - they really turned it into something else and made the reality of facing up against an 8 ft. plus tall monster made of rock truly something frightening.  I understand a bit more now the easily-frightened nature of the raiders. 😉

14 hours ago, Cirevam said:

So many of these are so good that it's hard to pick a favorite. Maybe #24? It's the iconic crystal. #5 is really good too. I love the atmosphere and composition. Really nice work all around.

Thank you, Cire.  The Power Station is far and beyond my favorite building in the game, so all of the images that feature it were exceptionally fun to take, though I was nervous because I so wanted them to turn out well.  It turned out it was hard not to take a picture with it that wasn't good.  Those crystal close ups turned out great to my eyes, so much so that I have an entire series of them from different angles (only those three made it here).  Number five is, along with the first shot of the Power Station, my favorite.  It was the first one I took where I felt I really captured a good shot - so I'd have to say it's special to me now.

Daaayum I love these so much, thank you for taking the time to share them! Image 18 is definitely my favourite, the colour grading and composition and setup and everything just perfectly captures LRR for me.

I also like the choice of environment, the tall blocky walls kinda match the very grid-like nature of the game. How'd you get some elements to glow? Is there a directed light on them, or hidden LEDs in them, or Photoshop work, I can't figure it out.

2 hours ago, JimbobJeffers said:

Daaayum I love these so much, thank you for taking the time to share them! Image 18 is definitely my favourite, the colour grading and composition and setup and everything just perfectly captures LRR for me.

I also like the choice of environment, the tall blocky walls kinda match the very grid-like nature of the game. How'd you get some elements to glow? Is there a directed light on them, or hidden LEDs in them, or Photoshop work, I can't figure it out.

Thanks, Jimbo.  Image 18 is my favorite of the Power Station.  I finally started to relax after I had taken it since my true objective with this project was to capture a decent shot of that building, and with that one it felt like I had done so.

I definitely would have preferred walls that had a bit more variety in shape, but I was limited with the rocks I had on hand to work with.  The rectangular blocks ended up being helpful in supporting the staging of other rocks so it worked out, I think.

The lighting in some of the more complicated shots is a mixture of a few different sources.  The more general lighting was provided by work clamp lights with colored gels shone either directly or bounced off of a white board-like object or the rocks themselves.  The object lighting (the crystal storage tower on the Power Station and the eyes of the Rock Monsters) were small LED's that I also gel'ed and placed strategically (as best I could).  On the shots where Sparks is drilling, I added a tad of reactive light in Photoshop since the drilling elements were added in after the fact.  Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.  Happy to do so. :)

Awesome! Thank you for the explanation, that's really cool. Didn't realise bright LEDs had gotten so small haha. And sure varied terrain might have been nice, but who's to say one of the locales the Rock Raiders visited couldn't have an alien-y flat-surfaced environment? I think it looks great :satisfied:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.