Movies won't play?

SMLC

Hi all, I just finished using this guide:

And I'm happy to say, it works great and LRR is now running well on my Windows 11 machine. I had to use the music fix and then copy the sounds over from the CD to the LRR install directory (to Data/Sounds) to get the menu and stats music to play, but with that, the experience is complete.

Except for the movies. Even after copying the contents of the AVI folder from the CD to the install directory, no movies will play. Is something keeping the files from playing? Is there a preset argument in the Alternate Installer, or something?

I'd like to get the cutscenes running, if I can.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:46 AM, SMLC said:

Except for the movies. Even after copying the contents of the AVI folder from the CD to the install directory, no movies will play. Is something keeping the files from playing? Is there a preset argument in the Alternate Installer, or something?

There is a line in the cfg, DontPlayAVIs, but it should be set to FALSE as part of the default setup. Other than that, if you move the .avi files into Data\AVI , that's all you can really do to get them to play.

In any case, the movies in LRR are a common cause of blackscreens and general crashiness, so it's fully possible that they'll never work in-game. But you can play them out-of-game and still watch them just fine.

What compatibility settings do you use? I had the same problem as well until I set the compatibility to Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Turning on XP SP3 compatibility mode did the trick, thank you!

The cutscenes were a big deal for me years back and I still enjoy watching them.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.