Installing LEGO Creator: Knights' Kingdom on Windows 10

Rainbow Renegade

Rainbow Renegade

My installation keeps getting stuck on 90%. I'm hoping someone can write a comprehensive guide on how to install and run the game. Any help would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
SmokedCarpenter

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to chime in to say that I've also had trouble getting Knights Kingdom to install properly. First, I mounted the .iso and ran the setup.exe as admin. It gave an error at 90% which I have attached a screenshot of below. However, the installation did complete, and I was able to boot the game. At first I booted it with no compatibility options and while it did run, the movies were not displaying at all. I've run into the same issue with Legoland, so I knew how to fix it. Simply run in compatibility mode with XP Service Pack 2, 16 bit color, and run as admin selected. Great! The game launches and the movies play perfectly.

However, when I began the game, I was met with only the HUD, audio, and a black screen where the 3D game environment should be. Interestingly enough, when you hold down the left mouse button, the 3D environment will actually appear, cutting off some of the HUD, but it is not rendered properly, and will disappear as soon as you let go of left click. I did manage to fix the bad rendering effect by changing the in-game graphics setting from hardware to software, but that unfortunately did not fix the black screen issue. I then found out that clicking right mouse while holding left mouse will keep the 3D environment visible, but it will cut off the UI and not render speech bubbles properly, so it is not a viable fix.

So I decided to go back into the .iso itself and try running DirectX7a.exe manually, with the same compatibility settings and got another error, which is the third attached screenshot. Obviously this is the crux of the issue, DirectX 7 is not compatible with Windows 10. I've done some digging and there doesn't seem to be any way to get DX7 on Windows 10 normally. I know that LEGO Rock Raiders uses dgVoodoo as a DirectX wrapper, so I thought that might do the trick here as well. No such luck. I've installed the latest version, and followed the instructions on the website, copying all the proper dll files into the KK folder and configuring dgVoodoo to the best of my ability. The game does not seem to launch with the dgVoodoo wrapper at all I think, because I cannot see the watermark when the game is running. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to trying them!

As an aside for anyone else who ran into this: if the text on your computer looks funky after running Knight's Kingdom, it is likely that your ClearType was somehow disabled. Simply type ClearType in the search bar on your windows task bar, and click on "Adjust ClearType text" and follow the instructions, that should return your text to normal.

I am happy to provide any additional information that may be needed to solve this issue, please feel free to reach out with any and all suggestions regarding dgVoodoo and DirectX7!

uBOUUAa.pngaNZR2H3.png

kr0Lpn0.png

• 2 weeks later...
MasterSushi
On 5/16/2022 at 4:47 AM, SmokedCarpenter said:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to chime in to say that I've also had trouble getting Knights Kingdom to install properly. First, I mounted the .iso and ran the setup.exe as admin. It gave an error at 90% which I have attached a screenshot of below. However, the installation did complete, and I was able to boot the game. At first I booted it with no compatibility options and while it did run, the movies were not displaying at all. I've run into the same issue with Legoland, so I knew how to fix it. Simply run in compatibility mode with XP Service Pack 2, 16 bit color, and run as admin selected. Great! The game launches and the movies play perfectly.

So I decided to go back into the .iso itself and try running DirectX7a.exe manually, with the same compatibility settings and got another error, which is the third attached screenshot. Obviously this is the crux of the issue, DirectX 7 is not compatible with Windows 10. I've done some digging and there doesn't seem to be any way to get DX7 on Windows 10 normally. I know that LEGO Rock Raiders uses dgVoodoo as a DirectX wrapper, so I thought that might do the trick here as well. No such luck. I've installed the latest version, and followed the instructions on the website, copying all the proper dll files into the KK folder and configuring dgVoodoo to the best of my ability. The game does not seem to launch with the dgVoodoo wrapper at all I think, because I cannot see the watermark when the game is running. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to trying them!

I am happy to provide any additional information that may be needed to solve this issue, please feel free to reach out with any and all suggestions regarding dgVoodoo and DirectX7!

kr0Lpn0.png

LEGO Creator: Knights' Kingdom uses ActiveX and the Superscape Virtual Reality engine for 3D graphics and object interactions.

The actual game's rendering is done through ss3dlego2000.exe as far as I know. If you install dgVoodoo2 normally there, hardware mode will work fully with no graphical glitches.

Movies still don't play for me despite changing compatibility settings to 16-bit, XP compat and run as admin. :( It either made the game render nothing or do nothing.

I've compiled all the fixes and unresolved issues so far on PCGamingWiki: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Lego_Creator:_Knights'_Kingdom

Also it is safe to ignore the DirectX errors when installing the game. If the installers worked, DirectX would break due to important DirectX components being overwritten.

However if the setup program for installing the game itself gets stuck, Analyze wait chain through Task manager and look to see if any programs are preventing the setup from proceeding.

SmokedCarpenter
20 hours ago, MasterSushi said:

LEGO Creator: Knights' Kingdom uses ActiveX and the Superscape Virtual Reality engine for 3D graphics and object interactions.

The actual game's rendering is done through ss3dlego2000.exe as far as I know. If you install dgVoodoo2 normally there, hardware mode will work fully with no graphical glitches.

Movies still don't play for me despite changing compatibility settings to 16-bit, XP compat and run as admin. :( It either made the game render nothing or do nothing.

I've compiled all the fixes and unresolved issues so far on PCGamingWiki: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Lego_Creator:_Knights'_Kingdom

Also it is safe to ignore the DirectX errors when installing the game. If the installers worked, DirectX would break due to important DirectX components being overwritten.

However if the setup program for installing the game itself gets stuck, Analyze wait chain through Task manager and look to see if any programs are preventing the setup from proceeding.

Holy cow, thank you so much! I feel like kicking myself for not checking pcgamingwiki for this game, since I have for many other games. Who knew all it took was dragging dgvoodoo and company into a different folder! I assumed it always had to be in the same folder as the actual game exe, never even considered that there was a different exe that did all the rendering.

You're right about the movies not playing though, I only managed to get the intro movie to play properly using 16bit color mode. The in-game cutscenes between tutorial levels play the audio but just show a black screen. Not the end of the world, they're super short and you can just watch the avi files!

Again, thank you for the response, you've made my whole year!

• Like 1

MasterSushi
51 minutes ago, SmokedCarpenter said:

Holy cow, thank you so much! I feel like kicking myself for not checking pcgamingwiki for this game, since I have for many other games. Who knew all it took was dragging dgvoodoo and company into a different folder! I assumed it always had to be in the same folder as the actual game exe, never even considered that there was a different exe that did all the rendering.

You're right about the movies not playing though, I only managed to get the intro movie to play properly using 16bit color mode. The in-game cutscenes between tutorial levels play the audio but just show a black screen. Not the end of the world, they're super short and you can just watch the avi files!

Again, thank you for the response, you've made my whole year!

No problem :D glad to have made your year haha.

It boggled my mind too until looking in the 3D Control folder and noticing it.

A very nostalgic game, the music and gameplay bring back so many memories 😁

PCGamingWiki is a very useful resource. However for Lego Creator Knights Kingdom, there was no information for the game yet, so even if you checked, there would be nothing listed until just yesterday.

With dgVoodoo2 working, you can enable Anti-aliasing which makes the game look significantly better. You can't override the resolution unfortunately, however I discovered that Superscape's engine stores a few registry keys that specify resolution. The Superscape registry keys always get overridden when the game launches, maybe denying some permissions in the registry could do something.

The black cut-scenes (except the intro) might be due to how the game is split across the two .exe's, making it struggle to render movies properly.

Also the raw music files can be viewed in DirectMusic Producer and played back (drag all the files from one of the folders for each song) in high quality, since the game uses DirectMusic.

All of this applies to LEGO Creator too, since it uses a slightly older version of the engine.

SmokedCarpenter
11 hours ago, MasterSushi said:

No problem :D glad to have made your year haha.

It boggled my mind too until looking in the 3D Control folder and noticing it.

A very nostalgic game, the music and gameplay bring back so many memories 😁

PCGamingWiki is a very useful resource. However for Lego Creator Knights Kingdom, there was no information for the game yet, so even if you checked, there would be nothing listed until just yesterday.

With dgVoodoo2 working, you can enable Anti-aliasing which makes the game look significantly better. You can't override the resolution unfortunately, however I discovered that Superscape's engine stores a few registry keys that specify resolution. The Superscape registry keys always get overridden when the game launches, maybe denying some permissions in the registry could do something.

The black cut-scenes (except the intro) might be due to how the game is split across the two .exe's, making it struggle to render movies properly.

Also the raw music files can be viewed in DirectMusic Producer and played back (drag all the files from one of the folders for each song) in high quality, since the game uses DirectMusic.

All of this applies to LEGO Creator too, since it uses a slightly older version of the engine.

It's amazing the memories these old LEGO games have unlocked for me. I had the biggest smile on my face watching the cutscene where John of Mayne gets blown up by the skeleton. I just noticed for the first time that you actually see Cedric flying over John at the end from the previous cutscene where he got launched by his own cannon! :D :D

Ohhh I misunderstood, thought you meant you had put this info on pcgamingwiki a long time ago :P Welp glad that resource is out there for everyone now! The weirdest thing is that alt+f4 skips cutscenes, when that is typically the shortcut to kill an app. Thanks for the AA tip I'll have to try it tonight.

I noticed that sometimes after the tutorials when you get kicked back to the main menu your mouse cursor is not visible, but you can still click and highlight the menu options. Eventually I found that clicking "quit" will make your cursor reappear when the "are you sure" box pops up. Figured I'd throw that tip in just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread in the future.

So happy to have found this forum. Only a few more games to check off my nostalgia bucket list!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.