Secret moderator Neox

Lair

There is a user on this site called Neox. They made one post in 2012, then did not post again until 2019 (allegedly, as they may have had posts removed). However, this user is apparently a moderator, though this can only be seen on their posts, such as here; their profile lists them as being a normal member, and they do not appear in the staff list. There is no information on who this user is, why they were made a moderator, or even when they were made one. All I know is that they were by 2020, as can be seen where they unfeatured this topic that year (for some reason? I would like to know why, considering how high quality it is). They were likely made a moderator in 2019, or possibly 2017 as many of their profile views date from then (including by me, but if I knew who they were then I've forgotten by now).

For the sake of transparency (though so far my questions in the other thread have not been answered so I doubt this will) I would like to know who this person is, why they were made a moderator, why they are not listed in the staff section, and why they are still a moderator despite the claims of all the site's old staff being removed. Also if there are any other moderators like this, as the total silence on this person being a moderator is concerning (as many of the previous management choices on this site have been).

Yeah, that's indeed weird. I think that's one of the few times where I have seen the moderator symbol next to an avatar since it's not exactly common and it's a user I have never heard about.
Not having heard of a user is normal when you consider that there are several thousand members (or however many there are), but a random moderator? That's indeed bizarre.

Edited by Arthuriel

I have compiled a list of all administrative actions performed by Neox that I was able to find. All links will be to the post immediately before Neox's action.

• Manic Miners by Baraklava - Unfeatured 21 June 2020. The topic was still active and was updated by its creator Baraklava only a few weeks after this, and the game it is about is very well made and loved and is still actively in development. There is absolutely no reason for this topic to have been unfeatured.
  • Mighty Miners by Ksyon - Unfeatured 22 June 2020, after its creator put the project on hiatus due to covid.
  • Retro Lego Comics by Sadie Meowsalot - Unfeatured 22 June 2020, after a post by Redbeard's Cove. The topic had been semi-inactive for a while, as had the topic starter, but it was still a thorough and helpful topic about old Lego Media. Even stranger, my own topic about Klick/Lego World Club Magazine's Time Cruisers comic remained featured, despite it being a lot more spammy and my original post just being a link to a wikipedia talk page.
  • Drome Racers Comics by Serwithed - Featured 1 July 2020. This topic was much smaller than the Retro Comics thread, with fewer posts and longer since the last one, yet was featured not long after the other was unfeatured.
  • Loco RF unpacker by shinyquagsire23 - Unfeatured 1 July 2020. The program was a bit hard to use but still works apparently.
  • Extract Music from Lego Universe by Zeb - Featured 1 July 2020.
  • Recreated Brian Tyler LU soundtrack by Zeb - Featured 1 July 2020. This topic has remained featured despite all the links in it being dead.
  • 3DXML to OBJ by lol username - Unfeatured 1 July 2020. The thread was still semi-active at the time and appears to be for a useful program.
  • Game Files by SeymourPant - Locked 19 September 2020. This was just someone asking for game files.

This was all I could find, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more hidden. The topics selected to be unfeatured appear to be completely random, many of which were very thorough and helpful topics that were still active, while similar topics remained featured.

I could take a jab at who this person might be, but I'd like to hear it from Shadow, since they have chosen to keep them on the moderation team despite claiming all other moderators were removed. You are going to respond to people's questions here from the last three months eventually, right?

So all the activity you mentioned happened in a relatively small time frame (June - September 2020). That doesn't really ring a bell for me, but it might narrow things down a bit.
I checked some of the topics that you mentioned so far and my favourite case has to be the Manic Miners one, because it was unfeatured, featured and then unfeatured again. That just feels chaotic and indecisive.

Edited by Arthuriel

I'm trying to find out more on this topic but have nothing concrete yet. I can add though: The Manic Miners topic was unfeatured because it was "moved" to the Member Projects showcase on the front page, a window with links to Manic Miners, Project Island, Island Redux and RR Community Edition. At some point after Community Edition was cancelled and removed from this showcase, this Member Projects Showcase was completely removed from the front page. You can see it in the Wayback Machine and me bringing up its disappearance here in September 2021:

It was then never reinstated with no quoted reason. I have some old chat logs related to this removal and can maybe figure out more from that, but I reckon it might be an alternate account of a previous moderator. September 2020 does coincide with Cyrem exiting the site and Community Edition being cancelled, that's all I remember without access to my PC.

Also, yes they've not done a lot, but their account is obviously not inactive, they might have done more we can't see, and might have access to private Member information etc and since no one knows who it is, that is pretty concerning.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana
On 12/26/2022 at 5:41 AM, Lair said:

There is a user on this site called Neox.   ...

For the sake of transparency (though so far my questions in the other thread have not been answered so I doubt this will) I would like to know who this person is, why they were made a moderator, why they are not listed in the staff section, and why they are still a moderator despite the claims of all the site's old staff being removed. Also if there are any other moderators like this, as the total silence on this person being a moderator is concerning (as many of the previous management choices on this site have been).

Neox was an account Cyrem had for performing admin tasks or doing certain things without logging into his main account, as you've pointed out. 

neox.png

I did not do this primarily due to issues with the permissions on some forum account groups, and because I did not want to remove the content credited to the account.  However, I realized now I could remove the account while leaving its accredited posts, so the Neox account has been deleted with its posts remaining in place. 

To answer the last bit, there are no further users with moderator access to the forums.

staff_directory84618bfc213d13bb.png

groups7de33b83f39db605.png

A further clarification I would like to mention for those who noticed: the account login under Neox for October 3rd, 2022: this was me logging in with it briefly to determine what it had access to and trying to understand what was going on with permissions at the time (as I mentioned permissions and group issues above)

On 12/31/2022 at 1:44 AM, Lair said:

I could take a jab at who this person might be, but I'd like to hear it from Shadow, since they have chosen to keep them on the moderation team despite claiming all other moderators were removed. You are going to respond to people's questions here from the last three months eventually, right?

Thank you for not make further jabs and letting me respond first.  Yes I am going to respond to yours and other's questions in the announcement thread soontm, life allowing.  I will be elaborating on what is currently going on with the website, why I was absent, etc.  I had time to sit down again and wanted to clear this up before it went any further.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:42 AM, ShadowDraikana said:

Thank you for not make further jabs and letting me respond first

Not exactly what I meant by that.

Neox was an account Cyrem had for performing admin tasks or doing certain things without logging into his main account, as you've pointed out. 

That does explain why some of the topics here were unfeatured for seemingly no reason. I doubt we're gonna get any further answers out of him or Cirevam, but I would also like to know why he made this account and what purpose he would have for not just using his main account to do whatever he did on there. Especially considering that account had existed since 2012.

Yes I am going to respond to yours and other's questions in the announcement thread later today or tomorrow, life allowing.

I think we would all appreciate that after the long silence. I also hope you enjoy your Edward Elephant NFTs, I expect my Robux in the mail within 30 days. On a likely unrelated note, all galleries appear to either have been privated or deleted for some reason.

• ShadowDraikana locked this topic