LEGO Racers Developer Journal

Oboe Shoes

Full Article Here.

Some pretty cool stuff to be seen, look at the article for some interesting concepts and storyboards.

The cannonball seems to be the only powerup unchanged from it's initial concept. Note the shield, actually being a phyiscal shield.

Also, RR and VV concept art! Veronica's leg decals are a bit different here. And Rocket Racer's face is bit, er. different. As an added bonus, These are also the perfect source for helmet decals for the minifigs I'm making. :D

lol username

How did I miss this?

No, seriously, how did I? I've done at least twenty google searches for High Voltage Software interviews, LEGO Racers previews, etc, and yet I haven't seen these articles before. Really awesome stuff!

By far one of the most fun power ups to use is the grapple. This was, by the way, one of the more worrisome to implement, but the results are fantastic. Shoot it off and watch the grapple latch onto the car ahead of you. The opponents tires spin as they struggle against the resistance of the rope, then you whip right by them at high speeds as the grapple sling shots you into the lead! That power up is definitely unique, it uses a real LEGO element (the grapple piece from the Adventurers theme), and man is it fun! We are very happy with the results in the power up design.

Haha, so THAT'S why there's a cheat code for grapple power-ups only... :D

I noticed that in the concept art for Rocket Racer, his hair is brown, which fits with this image...

rocket_racer_beta.png

Minifig9292

Why does his mouth take up half of his head?

Why does he have fish eyes?

What idiot thought that was a good idea?

So many questions man.

So many questions man.

But he still looks like this in the PDF file

lol username

So many questions man.

But he still looks like this in the PDF file

Wait what? My LR1 and LR2 two-pack didn't come with a PDF. Could you upload it?

Wait, looks like it did, I missed it before somehow. Reading...

Oh wow, lots of interesting stuff in here - including a version of the image posted before where Rocket has his normal car and hair. And what look like high-poly versions of the boss cars. I'm gonna have to take a good read through this....

• 4 years later...
MaelstromIslander

This has been linked on the site before. As a matter of fact i think theres already a topic for it.

Also, of all the images of early powerup designs and ideas, you say that one little concept art with one little thing from a game you constantly obsess over is the thing you emphasize? Wow. Its not like LEGO Island had an exclusive dune buggy or anything; it was a set at first, you know. :P

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.