Promotional LEGO Island 2x4 Brick

lol username

lol username

Yeah yeah, already saw that...

his account has since been locked.

... For completely ignoring customers. I'm not exactly hopeful that he'd reply to a random message, if he was last seen ignoring his customers two years ago.

All I can gather from the internet is that its some sort of promo brick(duh). I might know who to contact though...

http://web.archive.org/web/20050305113320/http://www.promobricks.com/

That site is mostly devoted to Duplo Bricks... but the guy who owned the site was, I believe, deemed the master of collecting promotion bricks. Mark Papenfuss is his name. Why this text is messed up, IDK.

[email protected]

Dunno if the guy is still around.

lol username

Uh, that's the same guy that had the Bricklink store... Anyway, found this on his site:

E3 Convention Brick

This brick was given out at the E3 convention in May of 1996 to celebrate the release of the 'Adventures On Lego Island' video game. This was the first real video game Lego came out with.

e3.jpg

No info on the LEGO Island 2x4 brick though.

lol username

Sorry to double post, but I think we've got something here.

First video I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o2q65Q8b5go#t=17s

Ok, not much to see here, but it did confirm that LEGO had a presence at the show, so I kept digging.

Then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SoImUoHTgSk#t=218s

Bingo! Right, now to see if there's some better footage of this LEGO Island E3 demo thing... This certainly looks interesting!

• Like 4

Oh.

That was stupid of me. :P Sorry bout that, didn't see the relation between the username and the actual fella's name.

Brickulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SoImUoHTgSk#t=218s

Bingo! Right, now to see if there's some better footage of this LEGO Island E3 demo thing... This certainly looks interesting!

That does look interesting, I've never seen that promo footage before.

The bricklink page dates this mysterious brick at 2001, that was when Island 2 came out wasn't it? But I guess that date could be completely inaccurate.

You could always try asking Wes or someone, no?

Perhaps I am completely off, but maybe the demonstration in the most recent video isn't affiliated with LEGO at all, but some software or game that chose to use giant LEGO-like bricks for their display, unlikely though the theory may seem. Worth noting is that attached to the computer screen is a box for the product that identifies the title as Bricks, but that lacks the actual LEGO logo. Even if the box is just a mockup and they didn't throw the LEGO logo on for whatever reason, a LEGO game or product that was finished enough to be shown at E3 that then somehow died off before anyone really heard of it strikes me as somewhat unlikely (though stranger things have happened). Although, a quick Google search has turned up nothing about Bricks outside of the context of LEGO either, which would imply that it never was released anyway, or was never intended to be a purchasable product at all.

Pranciblad

That game shown in the Spanish video was in fact "Bricks: the Ultimate Construction Toy." I'd heard of it before and I can confirm it is not at all Lego related, although it is interesting to see that someone made what looks like a predecessor to LDD years before Lego.

• Like 1

Drill Master

Oh... My... Wad... I remember this. I don't remember where or when I played this last, but I remember playing it!

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Boy, I'd hate to be the one building the LEGO computer when CRT monitors were still a thing... But seriously, that's some awesome stuff. It's too bad it may be all we ever find out of this, though it's also something to note that pretty much every LEGO game was showcased at E3 at one point (like Racers, Racers 2, Rock Raiders, Island 2, etc.) so you may want to be on a lookout for those while you're at it.

lol username

Boy, I'd hate to be the one building the LEGO computer when CRT monitors were still a thing... But seriously, that's some awesome stuff. It's too bad it may be all we ever find out of this, though it's also something to note that pretty much every LEGO game was showcased at E3 at one point (like Racers, Racers 2, Rock Raiders, Island 2, etc.) so you may want to be on a lookout for those while you're at it.

I've already been looking through videos of 1997 and 1998 - nothing of interest so far. I'll let you guys know if I find anything else.

Alcom Isst

Oh... My... Wad... I remember this. I don't remember where or when I played this last, but I remember playing it!

I do too. More specifically, I remember playing it back-to-back with LEGO Island.

• Like 1

Oh, these are some good finds....

And I thought E3 '96 was already great... With the N64 and all. Now there's MORE good stuff.

Makes me wish I could travel back in time to 1996. Good year, aside from the fact I was born then.

"While inside they were showing off their new lego package"

That bit looks like some sort of demo or something for Lego Island. [sorry not to be on topic]

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Interesting find jamesster. just judging by the LEGO logo with the hollow O in the first link would suggest that it wasn't actually released in 2001 unlike what Bricklink says. I also must now find all of those promo bricks if I'm ever to truly complete my collection of Pre-TT LEGO game promo items.

Brickulator

I hadn't heard of the title "Adventures on LEGO Island" before seeing that other brick, but I've been poking around the LEGO Island CD and I just found this in the autorun files:

ProgramName=Adventures on LEGO Island
SemaphoreName=LEGOIsland

I hadn't heard of the title "Adventures on LEGO Island" before seeing that other brick, but I've been poking around the LEGO Island CD and I just found this in the autorun files:

ProgramName=Adventures on LEGO Island
SemaphoreName=LEGOIsland

That name is also present in ISLE.EXE.

Ah hah! Thanks for the tip!

-snip-

-snip-

http://www.amazon.com/Bricks-the-Ultimate-Construction-Toy/dp/B001ID4586

Hm... It's certainly not official, but this does spark my interest. I think I might order it just for kicks, and see what it's like.

Oh my, that is just... Well, you have a choice. See if the program is abandon-ware so we can all play it, or may either $0.01 or $10.00 and buy it, and get it running no matter how you get it. ;P

lol username

Yeah, LEGO Island was originally called Adventures on LEGO Island, but the name was shortened - for most languages, anyway, I've seen a couple translations of the game that kept the full title.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.