Pseudoreal helmets

TheDoctor

Welp, look what I did. HELMETS! :D

I started off converting an ldraw piece to obj format to import it. I then saved both the high poly head model and the helmet as milkshape files. Then I merged them. Easy.

First sight at merge. Lol the helmet is huge.

med_gallery_81_5_35393.png

After some careful scaling...

med_gallery_81_5_26412.png

Then finally, testing it...

gallery_81_5_199219.png

I need to do some work on it. I'll try striping the colors from it and then see it it works.

Oh, almost forgot. Props to lair for being a cool guy and installing/zipping/sending the .ldr to .obj file converter. Not possible without that (for me).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDoctor

• Lair

• Anonymouse

• Amauros

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you know how to recolor these models?

Yep. Cirevam told me the other day. Tedious, but doable. I want to see if I can get less transparency first.

I had already flipped all of the backfaces in my version. If you'd like, I'll tell you how I did it. Then you'll have to model a face for that raider's head. Use the Text Generator under Tools, type ": )", choose an acceptable font, then remove the backs of the letters and arrange the rest as necessary. The letters will be considered to be a single group, so select by either vertex or faces unless you want to regroup them.

Oh hey guess what I fixed it.

gallery_81_5_180615.png

Edit: Oh great. I tried coloring it. It super blacked. Cirevam/lair, help please?

Email the file to me or Lair and we'll look at it. If you decide to send it to me, just send me the Milkshape version so I can export it from scratch in case the LWO is FUBAR.

And if you email it to me, make sure it's an LWO. And that the head and helmit are NOT pure black/pure white/the same color.

Well it worked, I just don't know exactly what to put for the color.

This is what I put: post-81-063214700 1276899099_thumb.png

Is that right? Exact syntax would be nice.

I can do visors eventually. I just need to find the Ldraw piece, convert to .obj, and merge with the file.

Oh lol.

gallery_81_5_197598.png

I had to.

gallery_81_5_214640.png

DOC YOU ARE GOD AT MODELING RIGHT NOW (CIREVAM DONT KILL ME!) PLEASE HUURY UP!

He didn't model this stuff, he just imported/exported it.

Is there actually still a head under there? Because if yes it's a waste of CPU power :P

If you send me that I'll reduce the polycount a bit for 3rd-person view. I mean, that is a pretty high-poly object.

I will not beg you, I will ask you to turn the eyes into the proper dull-red tint and get the shading right, just to mess with you

Is there actually still a head under there? Because if yes it's a waste of CPU power :P

If you send me that I'll reduce the polycount a bit for 3rd-person view. I mean, that is a pretty high-poly object.

Its still under there yes. *checks poly count*

3196 :af:

Heh, anything I make from exported .ldr files will have a ridiculously high poly count due to the fact that reversing every mis-rotated backface is neigh impossible. So I reverse all the backfaces, and re-import it unto its self, doubling its poly count, but perfectly covering all the bald spots.

You can use it or suck it.

I will not beg you, I will ask you to turn the eyes into the proper dull-red tint and get the shading right, just to mess with you

episode_5_darth_vader.jpg

Do you see any red?

Its still under there yes. *checks poly count*

3196 :af:

Heh, anything I make from exported .ldr files will have a ridiculously high poly count due to the fact that reversing every mis-rotated backface is neigh impossible. So I reverse all the backfaces, and re-import it unto its self, doubling its poly count, but perfectly covering all the bald spots.

You can use it or suck it.

Or pass it on to me so I can reduce it.

episode_5_darth_vader.jpg

Do you see any red?

I do...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.